Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's blinkin cold and I don't mean a bit nippy.

• Thread starter Deleted User X18H
  • Start date

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The Zeebrugge ferry disaster was in early March 1987 after one of the harshest winters in Europe ever. The sea was unbearably cold and most of the victims died of hypothermia when they were trapped. Even though I was only nine I still remember that boat on its side and how awful it must have been in the early evening dark to have perished.

Yep, it's cold but spring is only a few weeks away and the sun is out.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Just for you then TD

sf_031207_1.jpg

That'll do me.

mistahclarke

Jul 28, 2009
:)

Where I lived (Salisbury Road) was knocked down and some estate was built there...We used to live next to the old Whittington Stone pub that was on the corner, and my mother worked in the Hospital there...

Ironically I lived in a block of new builds by the Whittington Stone pub. My block was called Salisbury Walk and forget what the whole estate was called (Girdlestone estate maybe?) as it was locally called the "red flats".

Anyway, haven't been back for nearly 10 years so no idea what it is like now. It was a dive then and I was glad to be out.

daveinprague

Oct 1, 2009
Prague, Czech Republic
Only lived there till I was about 10 or 11.. It was mostly Turkish and Greek people in the area at that time.. havnt been back since. I will one day..I remember Waterlo park being a great place to mess about as a kid and parliament hill fields and I went to Hargrave park school there...whether its still in existance god only knows.. family spent a horrific year on a farm in Dorset before being dragged back to London again, then turning up in hove...

boik

On the cold football matches front - was anyone else at the England v Cameroon match in the 80s? It was -10, and the poor old Cameroonies all came out in tights and gloves. I think they would have worn hats and scarves if they'd been allowed.

It was so cold that the Mars bar that I had in my pocket for half-time was literally frozen solid. Nearly broke my teeth!

D

Deleted User X18H

On the cold football matches front - was anyone else at the England v Cameroon match in the 80s? It was -10, and the poor old Cameroonies all came out in tights and gloves. I think they would have worn hats and scarves if they'd been allowed.

It was so cold that the Mars bar that I had in my pocket for half-time was literally frozen solid. Nearly broke my teeth!

1990/1

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
I'll tell ya, I grew up in the 80's, so I know cold weather when I meet it.

This is up there with 87. And you know what could happen with that.

Same timescale as well, early February.

It was the second week of Jan in 1987, including a Monday or Tuesday when Brighton had a min of -10 and max of -7ish. Followed by a mild rest of winter.

2009/10 was the coldest and persistently snowy in Sussex for many decades going back.

severnside gull

May 16, 2007
By the seaside in West Somerset
just taken the dogs for a walk -8C brass monkeys

December 19th 2010 we drove back from Amsterdam & it was -19C on the M4 in Wiltshire so a way to go yet :)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here