Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's all over for Labour & Mr Brown

Don't get me started

One Nation under CCTV
Jul 24, 2007
How many people can hoestly say they would be better off with a tory government?? How many people have been better off under a labour government , neither have made any difference to my lifestyle over the years .

I can. I know the tories for all their faults would not turn the tables on the citizen like this lot have done. We now have to proove who we are and are constantly under the assumption that we are guilty and have to proove our innocents. The state want to know all about us and monitor us 24 hours a day I hate it

I have never done anything wrong yet they follow my every move with CCTV which they keep records of for between 2 and 5 years. Every car journey is recorded and they are now asking for id when you travel in this country.

They are dangerous and have destroyed our liberty. The statement yesterday about ID cards was so cynical it defies belief

Stand back and wait for interested parties telling me I am either a child molester or I have something else to hide.

I can. I know the tories for all their faults would not turn the tables on the citizen like this lot have done. We now have to proove who we are and are constantly under the assumption that we are guilty and have to proove our innocents. The state want to know all about us and monitor us 24 hours a day I hate it

I have never done anything wrong yet they follow my every move with CCTV which they keep records of for between 2 and 5 years. Every car journey is recorded and they are now asking for id when you travel in this country.

They are dangerous and have destroyed our liberty. The statement yesterday about ID cards was so cynical it defies belief

Stand back and wait for interested parties telling me I am either a child molester or I have something else to hide.

Utter rubbish. My civil liberties haven't been affected at all.

If I have done nothing wrong what difference does it make. If I am attacked then hopefully it will be caught on camera and used as valuable evidence which is regularly the case.

ID cards or some similar system if used to get rid of the bloody illegal immigrants would be a great idea.

Get real

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
I think 'don't get me started' has made a semi-valid point... there was something in the press a couple of months ago about councils using new anti-terror legislation to watch people who are suspected of low level offenses such as littering. Of course, I am all for people breaking the law being punished, but the examples given seemed extreme.

I'll see if I can dig out the relevent article later...

CCTV started by the Tories, Tories Councils introduce them first and have always remained the most committed.

Mr Apples

Jack Scrumpy
Aug 9, 2007
In The Orchard
Not so fast.

When word gets out that tipping-meister (or should that be tipping tsar)Uncle Spielberg is backing the tories then I think we can safely be guaranteed another five years of "New Labour", or Conservative as I prefer to call it.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Anyone is free to back Labour at 14/1 if they want but a better investment is Zoe Lucker to win celebrity strictly come dancing.

HampshireSeagulls

Moulding Generation Z
Jul 19, 2005
Bedford
Where is the IRA when you need them? After the last practice run, surely they can take out this bunch of worthless wankers?

And yes, I would dance happily on the mass grave to hold them all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Why does it matter that sombody has had privilege all his life? If I said I wont elect so and so becasuse they have been poor all there life and therefore they have no idea how to be minister for business. Thats just a ridiculas argument and quite frankly classist.

You may not agree with Camerons policies but to say "he's bereft of ideas" shows how little you look at the other partys policis. Go and look up other policies the othere party offer.

Have you read ANY of the first 3 pages? If you had you'd realise that his toff status was under discussion and I was merely pointing out the irony of a toff being elected in a time of deep recession.

How the hell does your mind deduce I'm being classist? I haven't offered any opinion on whether his election would be good or bad, merely the irony of it.

As for being bereft of ideas, it would appear I'm in the majority on this one, and I DO check out the other parties and am aware the Lib Dems are MUCH more radical in their thinking.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
sigh, they're not , they've just spunked all the billions in extra tax receipts that might've made it easier for us to deal with the global financial crisis.

I don't know what job you do Bushy, but I'm an accountant and most businesses I see were carrying on fine before the banking crisis precipitated the global economic collapse. Now most people's profits are down, most clients are in a tax refund situation and it's no surprise the tax take is down 9%.

Gordon Brown told the Bank Of England to adopt a "light touch" when it came to regulating the banks, so he's culpable.

And as for spunking extra tax receipts, it turns out they weren't 'extra' after all, but were actually vital to our country being able to pay it's way, a bit like a homeowner regarding money he should have set aside to repay his mortgage capital but spent on a flash car as 'extra'.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
My income is down 70% on 2 years ago.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I think the Labour arrogance is what gets me more than anything. Yes the " We can change the World Again " and " Labour can cure Cancer ", they alluded to the fact Cancer will have more chance of being cured under them no matter what anyone says is beyond belief.

The guy speaking at the conference who tore the Sun newspaper in 2 infront of the audience today sums it up.

THEY STILL DON'T f***ing GET IT DO THEY ?.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
My income is down 70% on 2 years ago.

I'm not surprised with your tipping.

Also, when Brown was listing New Labour "achievements" over the last 12 years I thought it was a bit rich to include "Peace In Northern Ireland". In reality steady progress was made after Thatcher for 7 years, and Labour merely finished what Major, the Tories and Clinton had started.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I would agree, but i'll also say that some of the degrees themselves aren't worth a wank , irrespective of a global recession,my sister in law has a degree in travel and tourism, its something you should study at your local tech , is not a degree course for fucksake, the same goes for the countless media studies graduates,or my mates boy who did film studies , its all about ticking boxes .

What is wrong with Media studies? Media is one of the biggest, and most pervasive, industries nowadays. Seems a sensible choice to me.

(before you ask I did not study media)

warsaw

She's lost control
Jan 28, 2008
It's all very simple really. Labour has been in power for 3 terms , they have run out of ideas and have a leader that most people want to see the back of. Even if Brown was to eliminate unemployment and all crime tonight, win the Afghan war perfect the Health Service and get a new face he still wouldn't get any credit because we hate his guts.

So Cameron will win by default, not because most people want the toff and his toff policies but because they want to kick Brown's sorry arse.

But I for one cannot forget the poll tax, dripping school ceilings, dingy hospitals and a long procession of scandals.

It probably is time for a change because Labour are dead in the water. It hasn't all been bad but they have spectacularly failed to get across what HAS been achieved (spanking new schools and hospitals, waiting lists down to next to nothing, dealt with the financial crisis pretty well, introduced the Minmum Wage, Longest period of sustained low inflation since the 60s, over 14,000 more police in England and Wales, see more here if you are interested Are these Labour Telegraph Blogs

I'll probably vote Green just for the hell of it.

Buzzer

Languidly Clinical
Oct 1, 2006
The only matter of interest remains whether Labour can sink so low the Lib Dems - under a pretty decent leader in Clegg with decent team around him to boot - can win enough seats to make a hung Parliament a possibility.
Having watched Clegg last week I was impressed...

That would be top public school, Westminster School educated Nick Clegg of Russian Royal nobility, who went straight out of Uni and onto the EU gravy train and was later persuaded to enter politics when he was aide to Sir Leon Brittan, I presume.

As for the "toff" tag re Cameron it's ironic that in these times of economic hardship downtroddeen Britain looks set to elect a man who has known nothing but privilege in his entire life

As you say, "ironic".

It is almost universally acknowledged that Cameron and the Tories haven't announced any policies of note or substance.

Do you know, It took me ages to find any Tory party policies. Talk about hiding them well, I spent literally hours on the web until for some strange reason I googled "Conservative party policies". It took me to an obscure website called www.conservatives.com and there buried away on the first link on that page is a webpage called policies where there were links to business, community relations, countryside, climate change and energy, crime and justice, culture media and sport, defence, democracy, economy, environment and maybe just about 20 other links.
And when I clicked those links all they had were their policies. Pathetic, really. There wasn't one reference to curing cancer.

Labour have perfected it though.

In 2009 the UK has 20% of the World's CCTV cameras, to observe just 1% of the World's population.

two great achievements after China.

NHS the bigest employer in the world after the Chinese Red Army and the most CCTV's after China.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here