Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It's 40 years today that I've been supporting the Albion

Today is the fortieth anniversary of my very first Albion match. As nobody has sent me a card, I hope no-one minds if I mark the milestone here.

11 January 1969 : Football League Division Three

Brighton (0)1 Stockport (0)1
Kit Napier ........... Alec Young
Att 10645

1 Powney B
2 Templeman J
3 Henderson S
4 Lawton N
5 Napier J
6 Gall N
7 Wilkinson H
8 Napier K
9 Dawson A
10 Spearitt E
11 Tawse B

My thanks go to Hiney and Freddie Goodwin for providing information about this match. It cost me 2/- to stand on the East Terrace. Adults paid 4/- (20p). I suppose clubs in our division with open terracing like Yeovil will soon be charging £20 for the priviledge; can anybody think of anything else that has increased in price a hundred-fold in such a timespan ?

Last edited:

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
The new Hove Born&Broke?

Barry Izbak

U.T.A.
Dec 7, 2005
Lancing By Sea
Happy Anniversary.

This is my fortieth anniversary season also, but I don't remember which was my first game. I know it was this season because I remember my old man getting the programme each game we went to and it was the blue design with the white ball on the front but as for which game? don't know. I wish I did know.

40 years FFS :rolleyes: :nono:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Class :clap:

My 12th year 'Aniversairy' came in October....long way behind you atm ;)

Feb 11, 2007
Brighton
Congrats Notts. My 40th too. Got there on 12th October. First match - lost to Swindon 3-1. It was a sign of things to come!

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Today is the fortieth anniversary of my very first Albion match. As nobody has sent me a card, I hope no-one minds if I mark the milestone here.

11 January 1969 : Football League Division Three

Brighton (0)1 Stockport (0)1
Kit Napier ........... Alec Young
Att 10645

1 Powney B
2 Templeman J
3 Henderson S
4 Lawton N
5 Napier J
6 Gall N
7 Wilkinson H
8 Napier K
9 Dawson A
10 Spearitt E
11 Tawse B

My thanks go to Hiney and Freddie Goodwin for providing information about this match. It cost me 2/- to stand on the East Terrace. Adults paid 4/- (20p). I suppose clubs in our division with open terracing like Yeovil will soon be charging £20 for the priviledge; can anybody think of anything else that has increased in price a hundred-fold in such a timespan ?

NS

Understand the club are due to be presenting you with a Carriage Clock before the match with Leeds?

In recognition of your support over the years

Top Hole you're a Good Egg!!

Fungus

NSC Patron
May 21, 2004
Truro

Congrats. Luckily, I waited until the next home game, when we beat Crewe 3-1. Little did I know it would be so long until we'd beat them again. I shall be celebrating my 40th anniversary (two days late), in my "home" game at Leicester on the 27th.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
Glad I was able to help. Looking at that team, seemed we had a left back crisis back then too as Stewart henderson was the regular RB. Who would have thought one of that team would manage a team that won the premiership and also had a go at managing England?

Note to barry Izbak, your 1st game was probably after August, that's when that programme design was in. We had some pretty big games then too.

Glad I was able to help. Looking at that team, seemed we had a left back crisis back then too as Stewart henderson was the regular RB.

Note to barry Izbak, your 1st game was probably after August, that's when that programme design was in. We had some pretty big games then too.

Yes, I only ever remember Stewart with a number 2 on his back. Did he return to Scotland after Reading?

If barry Izbak can remember any more details, then I'm sure you and others could help him. eg if the opponents played in orange, then it must surely have been this match.

Freddie Goodwin.

Mar 31, 2007
Brighton
I believe that S H is working on the coaching side with Reading or Saints. he was a class right back.

Barry's game was the following season, meaning after August.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
Can I propose a toast to three of the true gentlemen posters on this board.

Who most proabably have seen more Albion games amongst them, than all us on this board put together!! :thumbsup:

Nottseagull

Freddie Goodwin

& Alex Alex Dawson oo! oo!

Last edited:

Paxton Dazo

Up The Spurs.
Mar 11, 2007
Can I propose a toast to three of the true gentlemen posters on this board.

Who most proabably have seen more Albion games amongst them, than all us on this board put together :thumbsup:

Nottseagull

Freddie Goodwin

& Alex Alex Dawson oo! oo!

Never knew how old NS was..but i always respected AD & FG...

I believe that S H is working on the coaching side with Reading or Saints. he was a class right back.

Barry's game was the following season, meaning after August.

Glad to hear SH is still in the game; I remember him as a solid, dependable defender.

As Barry said "This is my fortieth anniversary season also", I suspect you deduced his error by the programme design change alone. :thumbsup:
I think he must have meant this was his 40th season.

Fazz62

Aug 27, 2008
I think that all on us on this board need to lobby the Albion board.

As even at this late stage we might still be able to get The Battle of Britain Memorial flight to do a fly-post at half time against Leeds in honour of Nottseagull!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here