Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] It's 11 Sept 2025 and Graham Potter is manager of...?

Recidivist

Apr 28, 2019
Worthing
Here's a left-field answer.

Potter is clearly a good coach, but does he have a shelf life? Is there a maximum time by which most PL managers will have sussed out his tactics?
This won't happen overnight, and they won't all do it at once, as obviously they won't share their findings. But they will all have a library of Potterball matches in charge of Brighton to trawl through.

As a result, his team's performances in the PL will likely slowly deteriorate as the pack closes in on him, one by one.

So, to answer the OP's question, on 11-Sept 2025, I suspect Potter will have moved on. He will have seen his shelf-life looming, and will have found an opportunity abroad, perhaps in Europe.

Perhaps our search for a new manager should be focused on the PL manager who has the best record against Potter.....

A final thought. Which PL club knows the most about Potter's tactics? And is therefore best placed to counter them? BHAFC. Perhaps this is why he took all the coaches with him.

Very left field answer but I don’t detect any evidence that that has happened with Brighton over his three year tenure with us, quite the reverse in fact given our recent performances over the past season and a bit!

So I suggest that the analysis is wrong….

Very few managers, in my view, adapt their style over the years and success is largely driven by a mixture of managing to find the right blend of players, motivating them and being supported by the owners, interlaced with a large dollop of luck!

To answer the OP, I suspect he’ll have moved on to another big club unless Chelsea’s DNA has changed totally.

I cannot see the fans being prepared to wait for success the Potter way since their expectations have been set by constant and immediate success based on spend, spend, spend.

Given that the most recent massive splurge happened under the new ownership the signs aren’t good for Potter….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wrong-Direction

Mar 10, 2013
Forest

Sent from my SM-A326B using Tapatalk

Eric the meek

Fiveways Wilf
NSC Patron
Aug 24, 2020
Very left field answer but I don’t detect any evidence that that has happened with Brighton over his three year tenure with us, quite the reverse in fact given our recent performances over the past season and a bit!

So I suggest that the analysis is wrong….

Very few managers, in my view, adapt their style over the years and success is largely driven by a mixture of managing to find the right blend of players, motivating them and being supported by the owners, interlaced with a large dollop of luck!

To answer the OP, I suspect he’ll have moved on to another big club unless Chelsea’s DNA has changed totally.

I cannot see the fans being prepared to wait for success the Potter way since their expectations have been set by constant and immediate success based on spend, spend, spend.

Given that the most recent massive splurge happened under the new ownership the signs aren’t good for Potter….

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps I didn't make myself clear.

I agree that recent Brighton performances offer little evidence if any, of the process I describe. My comment was about the future. Not the past. Potter's star is in the ascendency. So there will be little or no evidence of the pack catching him up yet.

But now that he is at Chelsea, firmly on the radar, his tactics will be under the microscope like no other manager. If he is successful at Chelsea, then rival PL managers will be taking a forensic look.

I can see a honeymoon period, however brief that may be, a period of stabilisation in which the players get to grips with implementing Potterball, then a period of success, and then a slow fall from grace as described above. What I can't predict is how much time the fans will give him, whether it will be enough time, or whether their reaction will actually matter to Boehly. Anything other than that comes across as wishful thinking.

Beanstalk

Apr 5, 2017
London
Newcastle manager. He'll have missed the England job - Howe will get it (a much better fit for international football imo). He'll walk in to Newcastle with his mate Dan.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Some of the predictions on here have aged like milk

Knocky's Nose

Mon nez est retiré.
May 7, 2017
Eastbourne
I think he needs to bring a Championship club up to the PL then get them top half to get some credibility back.

That said, I don't really care what he does.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003

Change at Barnham

Aug 6, 2011
Bognor Regis
Wherever GP goes he needs to take the handbrake off.
Both with his football style and his personality.
He's a very good coach and an even better person who is clearly liked by all that work with him.
A rebuilding job at Southampton (rebuilding both him and the club) would seem a great fit.

(This advice is provided free of charge by a keyboard warrior with limited football knowledge, to a multi-millionaire who has no need to ever work again)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here