Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Italy V England Final.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Have to say I’ve got that gutted hammer blow feeling this morning. We played so well this tourno but then so did Italy. It hurts more that we didn’t actually lose a game - and conceded 2 in 7 games and extra time. Incredibly proud but also gutted. Gonna go and lick my wounds - it’s the lows that make you appreciate the highs - we’ll done lads and thanks for giving us a great journey after the last 18 months. England til I die.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I didn't say Italy were the better team, putting the "maybe" in as an indication that it was a possibility that it wasn't just down to tactics.

If the penalties had gone in would we be having an inquest and suggestions to sack Gareth Southgate?

Like you say fine margins!

Suggestions of sacking Southgate should be treated for what they are - not worth the time and effort.

Questioning the approach, tactics and decisions on the day however are fair enough I think, part of football, and part of what ifs, of course you don't really have what ifs if you win, but we didn't, so we do, and will continue to do so until such as time we don't.

If we are going to succeed at the world cup in 15 months time, then I would imagine, or at least sincerely hope Gareth and his staff learn and progress as to what may have tilted the game in our favour, avoiding the lottery of pens.

The absolute pain of this morning is that Italy were there to be beaten. We were toe to toe with them, but came up short. Unlike 1990 and 1996, we had considerable attacking talent on the bench last night that went largely unused. We had 2 highly rated players given only seconds on the field to then take penalties. I can't escape feeling managerial decisions contributed to the defeat last night.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It was 1-1 over 120mins - so actually neither team can really claim to be better either way. The result therefore came down to very fine margins throughout the contest, a sub here, a change in tactics there could have been the difference. Not sure you can hide away from that.

That's a very basic way of analysing any game of football. I'm pretty sure most people that watched that game would agree that Italy were the dominant team and the one most likely to go on and win. You're right in that subs and change of tactics could make a difference and that is where we fell down, that and the selection and order of penalty takers.

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
That's a very basic way of analysing any game of football. I'm pretty sure most people that watched that game would agree that Italy were the dominant team and the one most likely to go on and win. You're right in that subs and change of tactics could make a difference and that is where we fell down, that and the selection and order of penalty takers.

So while very basic, you're agreeing. :lolol:

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
Suggestions of sacking Southgate should be treated for what they are - not worth the time and effort.

Questioning the approach, tactics and decisions on the day however are fair enough I think, part of football, and part of what ifs, of course you don't really have what ifs if you win, but we didn't, so we do, and will continue to do so until such as time we don't.

If we are going to succeed at the world cup in 15 months time, then I would imagine, or at least sincerely hope Gareth and his staff learn and progress as to what may have tilted the game in our favour, avoiding the lottery of pens.

The absolute pain of this morning is that Italy were there to be beaten. We were toe to toe with them, but came up short. Unlike 1990 and 1996, we had considerable attacking talent on the bench last night that went largely unused. We had 2 highly rated players given only seconds on the field to then take penalties. I can't escape feeling managerial decisions contributed to the defeat last night.

Struggle to argue with much of that - I guess it's about learning. Southgate's tactics, while not to everyone's liking, got them 3 penalties away from being European champions.

Hopefully he can learn how to turn a major game when it starts to go against you!

Randy McNob

Now go home and get your f#cking Shinebox
Jun 13, 2020
how do these w-anchors get voted into power?

[tweet]1414527891870715913[/tweet]

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Pretty much all of this really ∆

I also thought when Sancho and Rashford were brought on just for penalties, it might well blow up in our face. Sadly it did.

But imagine if it turned out in our favour, a bit like the van Gaal keeper change. Then it goes down as a master stroke of an incredibly brave decision, a bit like the subbing off of sub Grealish that time.

Such are the fine margins in football.

zefarelly

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Sussex, by the sea
Assuming Southgate remains the 'front' we must hope he can improve himself and his team to become more in game tactically astute. . The Squad at his disposal is young and good enough to win something in the next few years.

WC next year is a bit of a lottery, football in the desert is ridiculous.

darkwolf666

Nov 8, 2015
Sittingbourne, Kent
This is the England Italy match thread, please try and confine your tedious political agenda to the pit [emoji106]

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

To be fair, it is relevant in as much as it's this sort of mentality that helped create the situation we have with black players being racially abused on Twitter after last night's game versus Italy...

vagabond

May 17, 2019
Brighton
Best players for years yes, but I do not worship at the altar of Southgate, sorry :shrug:

I am not saying sack him but if he walks there are plenty of candidates with a more attacking mindset I’m sure

It’s not about worshipping at the alter of Southgate. He’s the most successful England manager in our lifetime.

Semi finals of the WC. Finalist in the Euros.

No matter what criticisms you, or I, can label at him, nothing changes that. Having an “attacking” mindset is irrelevant (The attacking Keegan was a failure). I would absolutely support Southgate remaining as England manager.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Can’t help think that if Southgate had made attacking substitutions yesterday and we got hammered 3-1 the same people who are saying he wasn’t brave would be saying he was foolish.

Sometimes the other team are better, and whilst our performance in the second half was very negative it wasn’t purely down to the tactics from the manager. We repeatedly gave the ball away with poor touches and ineffective passing. In fact you could argue without defending deeper and trying to soak up pressure we would have seen the Italians score more than the one.

Hopefully both Southgate and the players will learn from it and move on ….. we want progression and that’s what we are getting.. even if it is tough to deal with.

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
All the negative and positive comments about Southgate just show how fickle a lot of England fans are. Either hero to zero or doing a great job depending on where you stand

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Can’t help think that if Southgate had made attacking substitutions yesterday and we got hammered 3-1 the same people who are saying he wasn’t brave would be saying he was foolish.

Sometimes the other team are better, and whilst our performance in the second half was very negative it wasn’t purely down to the tactics from the manager. We repeatedly gave the ball away with poor touches and ineffective passing. In fact you could argue without defending deeper and trying to soak up pressure we would have seen the Italians score more than the one.

Hopefully both Southgate and the players will learn from it and move on ….. we want progression and that’s what we are getting.. even if it is tough to deal with.

Nope. I'd rather we lost 3-1 giving it a go than on pens. Kane was spent and shouldn't of been on the pitch in extra time. He got it wrong, and he knows it.

blockhseagull

Jan 30, 2006
Southampton
Nope. I'd rather we lost 3-1 giving it a go than on pens. Kane was spent and shouldn't of been on the pitch in extra time. He got it wrong, and he knows it.

Well that’s your opinion.

Personally I thought we were outplayed rather than out thought.

Don’t think I’d ever want to lose 3-1 throwing players forward rather than staying in a game where we were second best and giving ourselves a chance.

At points last night in the second half they were cutting through us with ease and it was only the numbers we had back that kept us in the game.

I do agree at some points in the tournament we have been overly cautious (Scotland and Czech games) where we were the better side and didn’t push on. However last night Italy were far better and we needed to defend well. We just couldn’t pick a pass or control the ball.

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
It’s not about worshipping at the alter of Southgate. He’s the most successful England manager in our lifetime.

Semi finals of the WC. Finalist in the Euros.

No matter what criticisms you, or I, can label at him, nothing changes that. Having an “attacking” mindset is irrelevant (The attacking Keegan was a failure). I would absolutely support Southgate remaining as England manager.

We’ll never win a thing then. I am done with football that relies on trying to sit on a 1-0 from 3 mins in or relying on a counter attack for a goal and then trying to sit on it, when playing top teams. It’s boring and frustrating to watch. I’m out

Southgate is going nowhere unless he walks away so you’ll get your wish to see him lead us to the WC finals I imagine. Good luck to him and his pragmatic approach does seem to work until we come up against the better sides.

My opinion is irrelevant in regards to England as I am not a dyed in the wool optimistic fan.

I prefer thrilling football to win at all costs football

Last edited:

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
It was 1-1 over 120mins - so actually neither team can really claim to be better either way. The result therefore came down to very fine margins throughout the contest, a sub here, a change in tactics there could have been the difference. Not sure you can hide away from that.

Didn’t Italy have about 70% possession and far more shots than we did? They were the better team.

SeagullinExile

Sep 10, 2010
London
Well that’s your opinion.

Personally I thought we were outplayed rather than out thought.

Don’t think I’d ever want to lose 3-1 throwing players forward rather than staying in a game where we were second best and giving ourselves a chance.

At points last night in the second half they were cutting through us with ease and it was only the numbers we had back that kept us in the game.

I do agree at some points in the tournament we have been overly cautious (Scotland and Czech games) where we were the better side and didn’t push on. However last night Italy were far better and we needed to defend well. We just couldn’t pick a pass or control the ball.

Fair do's. But they were only better because we didn't press them high enough up the pitch and let them dominate midfield.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here