Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It was twenty years ago today ...

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It's a long time since I worked in the public sector. I now work for a not-for-profit voluntary sector organisation. This current Tory government is throwing public funding at organisations like mine, far more than New Labour ever did. I'd be happier if the government knew WHY they were doing this, though.

But presumably you still have a gold plated final salary pension from when you were?

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
The recession actually had a detrimental effect on Labour's election chances.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
How very dare you!

Fairer society?! Where the private sector is expected to subsidise the public sector final salary pensions/early retirement by working for longer and paying more tax. I really dont see anything fair in that!

What do you propose then? You might find it hard to believe but we need government workers, we need teachers, we need firemen, police and the armed forces. And funnily enough they want a salary. And if you want decent talent you have to pay for it. That's fair.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But presumably you still have a gold plated final salary pension from when you were?

You sound very bitter and, dare I say it, envious not to mention presumptuous.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
You sound very bitter and, dare I say it, envious not to mention presumptuous.

Probably all 3 but..... the OP (Lord B) was being inflammatory by starting the thread, I bit and was questioning his objectiveness.

And I KNOW he can fight his own battles!

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
Probably all 3 but..... the OP (Lord B) was being inflammatory by starting the thread, I bit and was questioning his objectiveness.

And I KNOW he can fight his own battles!

It's really is not good or healthy to be bitter and envious. It's ugly and it may cloud your opinion.

Life has indeed been pretty good for all of us who got the benefit of free NHS orange juice, a free coronation mug, free school milk, the music of the sixties, student grants, free higher education, affordable mortgages for first time buyers and a job that was protected by widespread trade union membership.

The pension thing only started to go wrong when the Thatcher government started to believe that they understood things better and started to prioritise tax cuts over employers' contributions to pension funds - encouraging under-funding of pensions and the growth of an unsustainable deficit in the public pension pot. This should have been spotted much earlier than it was, by the bunch of over-paid actuaries and public finance advisors who couldn't see beyond the end of the next financial year. Sadly (for everyone) this didn't happen and we are all now suffering. Especially subsequent generations.

Don't blame the workers who paid into the pension pot throughout their working lives, either directly (as I did) or through deliberately restricted pay (as other parts of the public sector endured). And if you do want to blame us, just remember ... all that free NHS orange juice has set us up well to deal with any difficulties life puts in our way.

chimneys

Jun 11, 2007
It's really is not good or healthy to be bitter and envious. It's ugly and it may cloud your opinion.

In the scheme of things I'm likely to be lucky enough to be better off than many at retirement (if I make it that far!), so my anger at the widening gulf between public/private pensions/retirement ages is for those many, many low/middle income private sector workers who will be paying for the far earlier/more comfortable retirements of their public sector brothers/sisters in comparable roles.

In the scheme of things I'm likely to be lucky enough to be better off than many at retirement (if I make it that far!), so my anger at the widening gulf between public/private pensions/retirement ages is for those many, many low/middle income private sector workers who will be paying for the far earlier/more comfortable retirements of their public sector brothers/sisters in comparable roles.
I'm not going to disagree with that. People should be VERY ANGRY INDEED at the mis-management of public services by governments since 1979.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland

I hear you. But my view is that we should raise the standards, terms and conditions of the many low/middle income people you refer to not complain or get envious of others in a decent position.

CheeseRolls

NSC Patron
Jan 27, 2009
Shoreham Beach
As someone who has worked in the private sector for virtually all my working life, I fully understand that there is a need to overhaul public sector pensions, particularly at the upper end of the pay scale, however any bitter resentment I have is entirely reserved for the private sector actuaries and pension company employees. This is the last refuge of soft jobs in the city. Unaccountable, inefficient bunch of useless tossers. Any good ones are lost in the fud of past performance is no guarantee of future performance.

ROSM

Dec 26, 2005
Just far enough away from LDC
I thought it was the Sun wot won it? In which case it's nearly 25 years since the Tories won an election.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
Oh a leftie fest, how luvvie

ALBION28

Jul 26, 2011
DONCASTER
What 20 years? We have had Tory victories constantly since 1979. It matters not the party. Blue Tories or Pink Tories we are always getting Tories. Thatcher, Major, Blair, same old ideas and so we are doomed. Better pray the Scots do not leave the union and take their stable politics and oil with them! Thank god for the Albion, makes life here tolerable.

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Until Cameron worked out you can't win an election now without holding the middle ground, they never really threatened to win an election.

Beach Hut

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 5, 2003
Living In a Box
The reason they did not win was that the majority of have nothings liked the idea of debt and how easy it was.....until asked to pay it back

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
The reason they did not win was that the majority of have nothings liked the idea of debt and how easy it was.....until asked to pay it back

If you're one thing, it's imaginative.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here