Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It Was Just Lovely Seeing London Having Fun In The Sun Again

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
A lot of the time working in London, apart from when the bombs go off, you forget where you are. Home-Train-Tube-Office-Tube-Train-Home. You could be anywhere with a creaking public transport network. It can get a bit depressing. But today the sun shone mightily, the skies were brightonblue and it felt DAMN good to be in one of the great cities of the world. This time yesterday, England hadn’t even won the Ashes, and today there’s a grand victory parade, taking in many of the grand arteries of the City and ending up with that Trafalgar Square Grand Finale. Irrespective of whether you have any particular feelings for cricket, it was impossible not to love the energising effect it had on the centre. Pootling down Chancery Lane towards Fleet Street, justy before midday, there was MenInSuits and GigglyOfficeGirls running full pelt past me to catch a glimpse of their new-found heroes. For once the helicopters treading air overhead meant something GOOD was happening.

Just saw the two open-top buses go slowly past, a hundred yards before I got to Fleet Street. Who cares. Wouldn’t have recognised most of the occupants anyway. But, tell ya, every one of the hundreds of office workers heading back up Chancery Lane had a smile on their face. That's what sport can do.

Sought refuge in a deserted Walkabout at Temple, by the river, for three pints of nicely-neutral Steinlager (just the three cos I got to leave work at 4 sharpo to get to Withdean by way of the Brewery Tap). Multiple screens showing a SKY TV whipped-up presentation from Trafalgar Square, half-a-mile down the road, like it had been planned for months, like it was the Last night Of The Proms or a Royal Funeral or something. Smiling kids in tee-shirts who’d been there since early morning, cackling old dears with paper Vodafone flags. It’s what London does best. It felt DAMN good to be there. Or even watching it on a telly in a London boozer. Felt like it MEANT something.

Seems a shame it’s over and the national/secular heroes are once again to be the snarling chav millionaires of the Premiership.

Oh well. It was fun while it lasted.

Jul 20, 2003
The Large One said:
Is that what Freddie was trying to tell David Gower?

I think it was more "yowr me beshtest mate yowr, fantaztik *hic*"

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Tom Hark said:

Seems a shame it’s over and the national/secular heroes are once again to be the snarling chav millionaires of the Premiership.

And people wonder why I hate the Premier League. I dont think I could put it better myself Tom!

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
f***ing joke! All this fuss about beating one team - not even a winning a World Cup! Cricket is just a minority sport, played by a handfull of ex-empire countries. We should be winning our matches against small/third-world countries anyway.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
3gulls said:
f***ing joke! All this fuss about beating one team - not even a winning a World Cup! Cricket is just a minority sport, played by a handfull of ex-empire countries. We should be winning our matches against small/third-world countries anyway.

Er - the one team we beat happens to be the BEST team in the world, in a situation superior to the World Cup.

Tom Bombadil

Jul 14, 2003
Jibrovia
I'll think you'll find 3gulls is labouring under the impression he's a hilarious wind-up merchant.

A great day indeed - sun is shining, dreams are in the air of Albion causing the upset of the season tonight, my girlfriend has picked up a car in London for next to nothing, my daughter has just laughed her way through Tumbletots......

Great words, Tom - I'm in Brighton today but I can feel the London optimism and JOY down here :clap2: :clap2: :clap2: :clap2:

Barnet Seagull

Luxury Player
Jul 14, 2003
Falmer, soon...
Tom Hark said:
A lot of the time working in London, apart from when the bombs go off, you forget where you are. Home-Train-Tube-Office-Tube-Train-Home. You could be anywhere with a creaking public transport network. It can get a bit depressing. But today the sun shone mightily, the skies were brightonblue and it felt DAMN good to be in one of the great cities of the world. This time yesterday, England hadn’t even won the Ashes, and today there’s a grand victory parade, taking in many of the grand arteries of the City and ending up with that Trafalgar Square Grand Finale. Irrespective of whether you have any particular feelings for cricket, it was impossible not to love the energising effect it had on the centre. Pootling down Chancery Lane towards Fleet Street, justy before midday, there was MenInSuits and GigglyOfficeGirls running full pelt past me to catch a glimpse of their new-found heroes. For once the helicopters treading air overhead meant something GOOD was happening.

Just saw the two open-top buses go slowly past, a hundred yards before I got to Fleet Street. Who cares. Wouldn’t have recognised most of the occupants anyway. But, tell ya, every one of the hundreds of office workers heading back up Chancery Lane had a smile on their face. That's what sport can do.

Sought refuge in a deserted Walkabout at Temple, by the river, for three pints of nicely-neutral Steinlager (just the three cos I got to leave work at 4 sharpo to get to Withdean by way of the Brewery Tap). Multiple screens showing a SKY TV whipped-up presentation from Trafalgar Square, half-a-mile down the road, like it had been planned for months, like it was the Last night Of The Proms or a Royal Funeral or something. Smiling kids in tee-shirts who’d been there since early morning, cackling old dears with paper Vodafone flags. It’s what London does best. It felt DAMN good to be there. Or even watching it on a telly in a London boozer. Felt like it MEANT something.

but did the walkabout smell of vomit?

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Re: Re: It Was Just Lovely Seeing London Having Fun In The Sun Again

Barnet Seagull said:
but did the walkabout smell of vomit?

No, I only had the three pints. Can't vouch for the Brewery Tap later tho... :sick:

Tom Hark said:
A , like it was the Last night Of The Proms or a Royal Funeral or something. Smiling kids in tee-shirts who’d been there since early morning,.

You must nave been to some STRANGE funerals THPP.
Don't remember too many "smiling kids" or "cackling old dears waving flags" at the ones I've attended.:eek:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here