Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

It gets serious from here - the pack are closing

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Funnily enough the Orient fans I spoke to after the game said we were the best they've seen so far, doesn't say much for the Others.
A work mate of my brothers who supports afcb said the same about us at Dean Court when I didnt think we played that good. He remarked even the goalkeeper plays football and couldnt believe it.

SUIYHP

The King's Gull
Apr 16, 2009
Inside Southwick Tunnel
It worries me that the top 6 excluding bournemouth all have games at hand, so basically, all we really need to do is just...win more games?

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Now now, if you publish something like that you have to take any sensible responses !

But it's based on previous results which injuries/suspensions/new signings affected. He's not saying that's exactly what will happen is he? It just gives another perspective on things - keep it going BOF - some of us appreciate it!

Ecosse Exile

May 20, 2009
Alicante, Spain
BOF, i hope that response wont put you off puting up your predited tables from time to time, i actually quite enjoy them.

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I'm prone to a stat fest too BoF - ignore the inumerate who just lashout! Have never understood people who dislike prediction tables etc. Clearly you're not saying this is how it will work out - but they do provide some insights don't they? Wonder why some people feel so threatened?

We're going at roughly 2 points a game. Keep that up and we're champions. Simple as that. Last night made to look worse by every team below us in the pack winning. Southampton and Peterborough could easily have dropped points and Bmuff were nip and tuck for a while. Based on that, things would look rosier today. Not worried but would like to have won of course. Bristol feels important now to put down a marker.

Didn't like the Football Genius saying that we looked tired after the FA Cup - I know we are doing well, but would rather be out than be tired for League games. See Leeds last year for how badly it can affect you in the League:

Dec W4 D2 L0 14/18 pts (8 points clear with a game in hand after 23 games)
Jan W1 D1 L2 4/12 pts (played Man U and Spurs in the Cup)
Feb W1 D4 L1 7/18 pts (Out of the FA Cup to Spurs and out of JPT)
Mar W1 D1 L3 4/15 pts (serious cup hangover - and now second, level on points with teams below and 8 points behind Norwich)
Apr W4 D0 L2 12/18 (back in their stride)

Last edited by a moderator:

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Team P W D L F A W D L F A GD PTS
1 Brighton 26 9 4 0 28 9 5 4 4 16 10 25 50
2 Bournemouth 28 11 1 2 35 12 3 6 5 16 18 21 49
3 Huddersfield 27 9 3 3 24 12 5 1 6 20 20 12 46
4 Southampton 26 7 4 3 23 9 6 1 5 22 14 22 44
5 Oldham 27 7 5 2 24 17 4 5 4 19 20 6 43
6 Peterborough 26 10 1 3 41 28 3 2 7 15 23 5 42
7 Charlton 25 7 3 3 16 15 4 5 3 26 20 7 41
8 MK Dons 27 9 2 2 21 12 3 2 9 15 27 -3 40
9 Colchester 26 6 6 2 23 21 3 5 4 11 14 -1 38

Looking at the table we still obviously have games in hand on a number of clubs but the main reason I see for continued optimism is the fact of home to away games played.

We have played equal amounts same as B'mouth and only MK Dons have played more away than home. At home,H'field 3 more, SCC 2, Old'm 1, P'Boro 2, C'ton 1, Colchester 2.

Then compare their respective home records to away. This does show that many of the top clubs are unlikely to keep up with their points to game ratio. Added to which we have played the majority of these sides away already but still have to meet them at home.

beardosh

Insert witty comment here
Dec 14, 2009
Had a manager once say if you can pick up an average of 2 points a game then by the end of the season you will be right in the hunt for top spot. We are currently 4 points off that theory so need to push on in the next few weeks.

algie

The moaning of life
Jan 8, 2006
In rehab
It our run in that's causing a concern for me.We really do have a tough run of games and we need to open up some sort of gap before we hit those fixtures.We have the toughest fixture of the lot on the last day as well.
I wouldn't like to go to County needing 3pts.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Didn't like the Football Genius saying that we looked tired after the FA Cup - I know we are doing well, but would rather be out than be tired for League games. See Leeds last year for how badly it can affect you in the League:

Dec W4 D2 L0 14/18 pts (8 points clear with a game in hand after 23 games)
Jan W1 D1 L2 4/12 pts (played Man U and Spurs in the Cup)
Feb W1 D4 L1 7/18 pts (Out of the FA Cup to Spurs and out of JPT)
Mar W1 D1 L3 4/15 pts (serious cup hangover - and now second, level on points with teams below and 8 points behind Norwich)
Apr W4 D0 L2 12/18 (back in their stride)
I am really sick now of this "Leeds lost ground last year because of the FA Cup" bollocks. It IS that - bollocks. At the very worst it MAY have had a tiring effect, but equally it could have been a useful stimulant and a good marker of how they were progressing as a side. And Leeds also did well in the JPT and League Cups, certainly they got further than we did this year. How come no one blames them as well? And I'm ignoring things like fan pressure, squad disruptions, transfer sagas, let alone anything else that was going on behind the scenes that may have contributed.

And Orient had also played an FA Cup game against an identical standard of opposition, and I'm guessing (as they were on the back foot for most of it) they were more 'tired' than we were - so Crumplin's comment was also total bollocks.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Apologies for swearing French Mistress. I was in a foul mood. It wasn't meant to be anything other than a form indicator and current standings home and away games were equal. It will be more accurate come May.

Agree with Brovion. To put our little FA Cup run into context, Leeds played 14 cup ties last season. We have played eight with a minimum of one to come.

Last edited:

Couldn't Be Hyypia

We've come a long long way together
NSC Patron
Nov 12, 2006
Near Dorchester, Dorset
I am really sick now of this "Leeds lost ground last year because of the FA Cup" bollocks. It IS that - bollocks. At the very worst it MAY have had a tiring effect, but equally it could have been a useful stimulant and a good marker of how they were progressing as a side. And Leeds also did well in the JPT and League Cups, certainly they got further than we did this year. How come no one blames them as well? And I'm ignoring things like fan pressure, squad disruptions, transfer sagas, let alone anything else that was going on behind the scenes that may have contributed.

And Orient had also played an FA Cup game against an identical standard of opposition, and I'm guessing (as they were on the back foot for most of it) they were more 'tired' than we were - so Crumplin's comment was also total bollocks.

OK - point made. But if nothing else, it shows how being way in front with games in hand can all go badly wrong in just half a season. Might act as a reality check for everyone who thinks The Championship is our by right now and our promotion in home and hosed.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
I know its stanting the bleedin obvious, but our last three home games Sheff Wed, Southampton ( both of which I miss) Hudds will be a fantastic finish to teh season ( Notts county are no push over either)

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here