Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

"It doesn't matter if we don't win on Saturday..."

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
"...After everything we done, at Leeds and (against Charlton)"

Interesting comment from Gus on the post-match interview last night. And one I totally disagree with - Leeds and Charlton away were games that we were never expected to get anything from (although we obviously hoped we would) and the 4 points are a massive boost, but a defeat on Saturday will make it almost meaningless. We simply have to go on now and beat Exeter to reinforce this good form and move further away from them.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
he did say that losing on saturday would wipe out our good work though....

Turkey

Jul 4, 2003
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. He said its a great result but it means nothing if we don't beat Exeter.

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I didn't see that interview but in the ones I read he was actually saying how massive Sat is and it's time for us to win etc etc - i was actually impressed that he'd started talking bout Sat already even after that great win...

Kubes

Jan 6, 2010
Lost in translation - I heard his interview and from the context I think he actuallly meant that all the positives of drawing at Leeds and winning at Charlton would mean nothing if we didn't win against Exeter on Saturday

Zesh Rehman

Sep 6, 2006
Oxford
I agree with him, we have to win at home, and we are playing one of the bottom teams, and is it our first chance of a DOUBLE this season?

We HAVE to beat the teams around us, so anything other than victory is not acceptable!

Wycombe at home and then Carlisle away!

seagulls4ever

Oct 2, 2003
"...After everything we done, at Leeds and (against Charlton)"

Interesting comment from Gus on the post-match interview last night. And one I totally disagree with - Leeds and Charlton away were games that we were never expected to get anything from (although we obviously hoped we would) and the 4 points are a massive boost, but a defeat on Saturday will make it almost meaningless. We simply have to go on now and beat Exeter to reinforce this good form and move further away from them.

That's what he said? "Everything we did today, will not matter if we don't win on Saturday."

Brighton and Hove Albion | News | Latest News | Latest News | Poyets Praise for Players and Fans

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
I totally disagree with that - and whatever Gus is saying in public, perhaps to take the pressure off a bit, I just can't believe he is saying that to the players in private.

The run of playing OK and not getting the wins had to stop, and last night was vital, and also potentially season-defining IF we now kick on and beat Exeter. A great win has offered us a way out of this self-inflicted mess, and now we have to kick the door in.

Scoffers

Jan 13, 2004
Burgess Hill
I think you've got the wrong end of the stick. He said its a great result but it means nothing if we don't beat Exeter.

that is exactly how I saw it

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Completely agree, if we lose to Exeter then it's back to square one again and would be disasterous in my opinion. This is by far our biggest game of the season so far for many reasons.

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Lost in translation - I heard his interview and from the context I think he actuallly meant that all the positives of drawing at Leeds and winning at Charlton would mean nothing if we didn't win against Exeter on Saturday
Exactly, and Gus is 100% correct.

Just an example of how a sentence can change its meaning entirely if you put emphasis on the wrong part!

bathseagull

Apr 18, 2004
St. Anmore
Yeah, hold my hands up there. I love Gus (in a very strong and metrosexual kind of way)and didn't think he would say that a result on Saturday doesn't matter.

I think what he's actually saying is the results at Leeds and last night don't matter if we don't win on Saturday but because of a lengthy pause I mis-understood it.

:thumbsup:

Mustela Furo

Advantage Player
Jul 7, 2003
I guess this is a problem with a spoken interview as opposed to a written one.

The quote is 100% accurate, but the context isn't.

What Gus actually meant was

"Everything we have achieved in this game doesn't matter and wlll count for nothing if we don't win on Saturday"

so as broadcast on SCR it was ""doesn't matter if we don't win on Saturday"

inert and inept anyone ?

Last edited:

Jam The Man

Jul 5, 2003
South East North Lancing

Is the right answer...

Seems to have been read in the wrong context!

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
Sometimes I can't understand Gus - I just smile and nob my head :)

KneeOn

Jun 4, 2009

Thats what i read in to it... if we don't beat exeter, last night and saturday means nothing.

There was a quote about Rafa Benitez, about what he needed to learn when he first came to England. You don't win the prem against Manchester United and Chelsea, but against Bolton and Wigan, in the cold and rain, on mud on a tuesday night. I think this is somthing that Gus subscribes to, and its a good sign!

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Agreed, a home win against Exeter saturday would be massive in our survival hopes. Dare i say it even almost ensure safety...early i know but with the previous recents results and finally a win at home I would hope we eould push on from there.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here