Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isn't London great?

Shizuoka Dolphin

NSC M0DERATOR
Jul 8, 2003
N/A
The thing that has struck me most now I have been working in London nearly 2 years, is how rude people are. The tube in rush hour really is every man for himself and sod anybody that gets in the way. I know a lot of those people are probably not Londoners, but I'm sure a majority probably are. Some tosser nearly pushed me over a couple of weeks back because I had the audacity to try and make room for a blind bloke to get to the doors first.

Also, people in the office rarely give a "Good Morning" even if I say it first.

Happens everywhere to be fair. Had some rude old bastard slide in front of me to get on the train first today when, and get this - I was the only person waiting!

Astonishingly rude, and does nothing for the much-peddled myth about the super-polite Japanese. :rant:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Pasty has just given one of the reasons (rudeness of people)
It is dirty and shabby too.

Rudeness of people is similiar to Brighton, there's just more of them in London!

It's far from shabby, I'd call in endearingly worn:)

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
It's a great city and something we Brits should be proud of.

I'd love to live in a country where the sun always shone, property prices were reasonable and everyone had a smile on their face but I'd just miss London and Brighton. Between the two cities you can pretty much do anything the average man might ever want to do.

It's a hub for pretty much everything.

Possibly the most important financial centre in the world, more history than you can shake a stick at, masses of beautiful open space and you won't find anywhere with such an important and influential music scene.

Anyone who can't appreciate London is a moron

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
The parks are amazing too! I forgot that.

Living within walking distance of Regents Park always proved to be invaluable on the surprisingly sunny spring we had before the monsoons kicked in.

I also agree with your comment about it being a "hub", whenever I'm there I just feel I'm at the centre of everything.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Exactly, you are LITERALLY at the centre of everything. It's the centre of the Earth on any world map and it's where time was INVENTED.

It's also where we conducted our business in keeping the empire together, the very empire that no other nation could ever hope to rival.

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I had to laugh, by the way, at the comparison of 80year-old Andy Williams, with a 60year old! Much younger, and I don't expect I'll quite see that comparison until, perhaps, I am much older.

(though according to duh above, I am already ancient, desperate, lonely,...oh, and perverted) :)

Well they say 80 is the new 60 and 60 is the new 40 so what I was trying to say is that Mr Williams was performing as a man in the prime of his life. You should have seen the 20 and 30 year old women going for him! At 65 I wish i could pull like that!!:D:D

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
It's also where we conducted our business in keeping the empire together, the very empire that no other nation could ever hope to rival.

The foul legacy of the rape and murder of empire is something to be proud of? I think not...

Muzzman

Pocket Rocket
NSC Patron
Jul 8, 2003
Here and There
London is good for a night out or a day trip.. couldn't live there though as I always feel a little edgy when I'm there.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
Except those printed for an American (North or South), Asian or Australasian market, of course. :jester:

They can print their backward maps as wonky as they want but WE invented the map whilst WE charted all of the world and it makes sense to have the UK in the centre as the INTERNATIONAL date line GMT runs right through it. Everything on the right is ahead of us, everything on the left is behind. Start moving stuff and it becomes a lot more difficult.

The US department of commerce uses this map:

world_map.jpg

The US National Geographic society uses this map:

ngworld-over.jpg

And this one is how the Sato Corporation of Indonesia and Japan see the world:

world_map.gif

Notice a pattern emerging?

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
torymap7kx.jpg

This is the best map in the world