Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isn't London great?

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
I wonder how many other cities in the world can put on such a weekend as London has done.

Diana's Concert: Gay Pride march: Lord's One Day Test: Wimbledon; West End Theatres all against a background of heightened security. I was up there with Mrs Oldman on Saturday afternoon and evening. We went up to the Albert Hall for the Andy Williams Concert.

(Incidentally he knocked spots off anything at the Di Concert including Elton John. Andy Williams is 80 but he looked and sang more like 60. It's a long time since I have heard such applause and ovation at a concert and that includes Kylies gig earlier in the year.)

I digress. My point was that everywhere we went including a lovely walk around Hyde Park and the Albert Memorial London looked great and all we saw were people of diferent race; colour and creed all enjoying themselves. The pubs, cafes etc all seemed to be doing well.

I know London can be infuriating at times especially if you work there but it is one of the best cities in the world as far as Mrs Oldman and I are concerned.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
I love London, i just hate the fact that I'd be paying an extra £20k a year paying a mortgage off for a place that isnt even amazing, seriously considering coming back to the south before Xmas

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
London's GREAT at the weekends when it belongs to Londoners and tourists. The tube is almost a pleasure. 6 minutes til the next Victoria Line to Oxford Circus? That'll do nicely.

And it's a really good place to show people round. You can plan all these really simple but effective routes, like the South Bank from Waterloo to Tower Bridge and see some AMAZING stuff (with a few beers thrown in en route)

Not as good as Brighton, mind... :thumbsup:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
It's shut all the time at the moment Tom, the Victoria Line that is. Virtually every other weekend till November.

Will screw my sunday morning commute up no end:lolol:

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
It's shut all the time at the moment Tom, the Victoria Line that is. Virtually every other weekend till November.

Will screw my sunday morning commute up no end:lolol:

6 months til the next Victoria Line to Oxford Circus? That'll do nicely :blush:

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
Sometimes it's only Victoria to Brixton shut, which is fine for you, just not for myself

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
It's a pig to drive a lorry through. And the wardens are bastards.

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
A while ago I thought I only went to London to work, but whe you have been round London pubs in the evening and shows and the atmosphere of Covent Garden. Brick lanne etc, you realise that people like to call Brighton, London by the Sea, but they are miles off!!

bigc

Jul 5, 2003
I agree with you totally Oldman, miss the place at the moment to be honest.

Something magical about the place despite the obvious imperfections.

If it wasn't for torrential rain recently I'd have popped back.

Captain Haddock

Aug 2, 2005
The Deep Blue Sea
Must agree with the above posts. It really is a vibrant place...it's almost like anyone else's rush hour at 11pm on a weekend but just the right side o clustered. It has many, many drawbacks but it has so much to offer.

Thomas of the Harks has it in a nutshell about planning little trips to show people around....eh, of course I'm generally a sea-farin' type meself but I occasionally transgress boundaries and dabble in er pint o twenty...by the way, shipmates, it need not be as expensive ter drink as yer may think of first glance, if yer know where ter look.

dwayne

Jul 5, 2003
London
Sydney better than London....that's the funniest thing I've ever heard.

London is the best place in the world.:thumbsup:

Sydney may have wanted to become a version of London (the areas are even named after places in London), but it's a completely different place and atmosphere altogether.

Further, Britain is diverse and interesting throughout, it's a great place to tour and explore - fantastic cities, life, culture.......

London can be a bit much occasionally, so many people milling around in the centre, crowds, people. Many Europeans and other travelers name London as their favourite city.

I had to laugh, by the way, at the comparison of 80year-old Andy Williams, with a 60year old! Much younger, and I don't expect I'll quite see that comparison until, perhaps, I am much older.

(though according to duh above, I am already ancient, desperate, lonely,...oh, and perverted) :)

Last edited:

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I hate London and I always have.

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
I love London. I normally visit twice a month, but I like leaving it behind. Although I have not lived there, I can't imagine living away from the coast - I love the sea too much. I did get offered a job in Camden, but declined.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here