Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Isle of Skye

Leekbrookgull

Jul 14, 2005
Leek
Serious post has any NSC user been to the Isle of Skye ? If so can you please advise as to a family holiday. Beachs,weather,what to do,etc. Thanks.:albion:

Cheeky Monkey

Jul 17, 2003
Fantastic place but only drove round it for a couple of hours before leaving. It was still light at gone 11pm.

If you're up that way and a Highlander fan it's worth checking out the 'Highlander' castle 'Eileen Donan' (sp) which is set in fantastic scenery somewhere closeby on the mainland (memory lets me down a bit here!)

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Stayed in Portree overnight. It's a very small island and you can 'do it' in a weekend.

We looked around a castle (can remenber name) and did some walking.

By far and away my favourite part was getting there. My advice is to take the ferry rather than the bridge. They cost the same (Or at least they did, I have a feeling the brisge is free now). But the drive on the mainland to the little ferry terminal is spectacular. It's mile of singel track with passing points where you drive over the tops of mountains (the five sisters are amazing). You probably won't see another car for hours!

ENJOY!

:clap2:

Gerbil

Nsc's most loved
Jul 6, 2003
Stalking Hayley
Go on the Glass bottomed boat from Kyle of Lochalsh.

Fantastic:clap2:

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Been there many times at least 20

Absolutely wonderful place. Things to do Walking, Walking and Walking and relaxing, drinking the locl Talisker malt.

Always stay in Elgol or sometimes Broadford as I prefer Southern Skye and the Cuillen.

PM me if you need any recommendations re accommodation either B&B or SC in the South.

shingle

Jan 18, 2004
Lewes
Also

Weather Crap most of the time, even in Summer. But nobody goes to Skye for the Weather .

Beaches, none to speak of

Can recommend the Boat trip from Elgol to Lock Coruisk

sully

Dunscouting
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
I've only been there for the Cuillin Ridge. The best mountaineering outing in the British Isles.

The weather, even in August, is terrible, usually. The one day that I thought was excellent was shown by the photographs to be overcast!

Also watch out for the midges. We camped in Glen Brittle and the buggers were feasting all night. Ended up sitting in the car watching the campsite empty through the night!

Definitely agree that the ferry to the South of the Island is worth it for the drive and the views. Make sure you don't have a dodgy clutch, though. We only just made it once!

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
I know that when Donald came down from there we all asked where his troosers were.

*gets coat*

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
sully said:

Also watch out for the midges. We camped in Glen Brittle and the buggers were feasting all night. Ended up sitting in the car watching the campsite empty through the night!

Apparently, Avons Skin-so-Soft Woodland Fresh is the stuff to rub on to keep the midges away. I've heard that the servicemen stationed at the RAF bases on the west coast of Scotland swear by it. :lolol:

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
Midges; midges; midges..

And be warned this years very mild winter means we will see a bumper hatching of midges and west coast holidays ruined by midges :eek: :eek: :nono: :eek: :nono:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Skintagain 1983 said:
Midges; midges; midges..

And be warned this years very mild winter means we will see a bumper hatching of midges and west coast holidays ruined by midges :eek: :eek: :nono: :eek: :nono:

Are they out yet? I'm going to near Gairloch/Ullapool this weekend,. and am hoping it's still pre-midge season....

Giant Seagull

That was textbook
Jul 5, 2003
Wiltshire
i went at the end of september and cant remember too many midges, icidentley the boat trip to Lake Coruisk in the Cuillins was the first time the boat had been out for 3 weeks due to bad weather, and it was only september!

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama

ac gull

Jul 7, 2003
midlands
did a weeks walking holiday there in summer a couple of years ago

weather mostly crap but some good scenery

not sure enough there to keep a family occupied for a week

Albaman

Equatorial Splitter
Apr 22, 2006
Singapore lah
Skintagain 1983 said:
Midges; midges; midges..

The midges may well be out, so be warned , but Skye is a very nice place to visit, take your walking boots. Also try to got to Plockton if you a get a chance, small village on mainland with some great scenery, not too far from the bridge. However, for family holiday you may want more central location on mailnad and do Skye on one or two day trips, as you may run out of things to do imo.

Driving up through Glencoe enroute is also worthwhile.

Skintagain 1983

And Smith Did Score!
bhafc99 said:
Are they out yet? I'm going to near Gairloch/Ullapool this weekend,. and am hoping it's still pre-midge season....

Still early for midges so you should be okay. News articles today told of the bumper harvest for this summer..

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here