Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Worthing ok to live in?

Yoda

English & European
Really? I'm middle aged I've lived in Worthing all my life and frequent the town Saturday evenings and I can count on the fingers of one hand (only 5 fingers I'm not from Norwich) the times I've seen any kind of violence. Worthing is a great place to live, not the same buzz as Brighton but has some great pubs, nice seafront and the downs 5 minutes to the north. It's only 15 - 20 minutes on the train to Brighton if you want some more lively action

I would agree with this, although I'm not middle aged yet.

I live almost in the town centre and it's quite enough to not notice it. 2 bed gff with a back garden that is a sun trap in the summer (from 10 right through to 7/8) for £800 per month.

Think I must've seen only 1 fight (and it was only a scuffle between friends who soon made up after it was broken up).

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
The "distance to Brighton" thing can be underplayed, I feel. If you want a night out you'll most likely be drinking so want to jump on the train. Worthing is well served by train stations, of course, but they're relatively closely coupled in that corridor towards the Southern edge of town. You could be anywhere from 15-30 minutes walk away, and you'd always want to make sure you made a specific train, possibly adding a few more minutes contingency to ensure you make it. Then, when you get off in Brighton, you could be another 10-15 minutes walk away from where you are heading. And you won't want it to be raining either.

At the other end of the night, despite best intentions, you'll find yourself wanting at least one more drink before your last train home so you might have to cut your night short, perhaps leaving others who live in Brighton or swallow the cost of a cab. No idea what they are now, but 10 years ago they were costing me c£30 for the drive back.

Papa Lazarou

Living in a De Zerbi wonderland
Jul 7, 2003
Worthing
The "distance to Brighton" thing can be underplayed, I feel. If you want a night out you'll most likely be drinking so want to jump on the train. Worthing is well served by train stations, of course, but they're relatively closely coupled in that corridor towards the Southern edge of town. You could be anywhere from 15-30 minutes walk away, and you'd always want to make sure you made a specific train, possibly adding a few more minutes contingency to ensure you make it. Then, when you get off in Brighton, you could be another 10-15 minutes walk away from where you are heading. And you won't want it to be raining either.

At the other end of the night, despite best intentions, you'll find yourself wanting at least one more drink before your last train home so you might have to cut your night short, perhaps leaving others who live in Brighton or swallow the cost of a cab. No idea what they are now, but 10 years ago they were costing me c£30 for the drive back.

I recently negotiated a £30 trip back to Worthing from central Brighton, so it's not exorbitant, especially if you can get a worthing based taxi that is already in the vicinity.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
I know Brighton bouncers that simply refuse to work in Worthing.

is that because its rough, or because Worthing pays less or they live in Brighton and dont want to pay for an expensive cab home at 2am? or because its dull, many bouncers like the rough venues.

16bha

Sep 6, 2010
East Stand Upper & Worthing
I've been living in 'Gods Waiting Room' for 8 years, having gone west from Hove. Have to say it's ok, and nice to walk along front with kids, but still tend to go back to Brighton for shopping etc, but Worthing does have a few nice restaurants and bars. Rough part of town is taxi rank on Chapel Road.

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Bloddy awful place. Dangerous after dark, full of drunks, drug addicts, chavs and a very dodgy Undertaker. Also famous for old people.

Reasonable shopping centre covering most needs. No worse in Chapel Road than any other town centre with a similar number of drunks that you would find in any town with Wetherspoons pub in the centre no more chavs than the likes of Burgess Hill/Littlehampton. They also have a very caring undertaker who treated my mother with the greatest of respect. If you need him he is based near The Cricketers and is an independant as opposed to being part of a large company. People seem to move to Worthing and this then extends their life by some years so tha air and way of life must be good.

Reasonable shopping centre covering most needs. No worse in Chapel Road than any other town centre with a similar number of drunks that you would find in any town with Wetherspoons pub in the centre no more chavs than the likes of Burgess Hill/Littlehampton. They also have a very caring undertaker who treated my mother with the greatest of respect. If you need him he is based near The Cricketers and is an independant as opposed to being part of a large company. People seem to move to Worthing and this then extends their life by some years so tha air and way of life must be good.

You are right it is no worse than anywhere to live and that includes Brighton, The Cricketers my pub of choice when in Worthing, plenty of Albion fans live there and they do a half decent Rugby team if you are a rugger bugger.

simonsimon

Dec 31, 2004
Which dodgy gravedigger do you refer to? Worthing has many, combined with more than its share of dodgy Estate Agents.

227 BHA

Jul 5, 2003
Findon Valley, Worthing
Which dodgy gravedigger do you refer to? Worthing has many, combined with more than its share of dodgy Estate Agents.

Not dodgy at all :thumbsup:

Think it was just a tongue-in-cheek jibe at none other than our very own Harty (Ian that is).

I'd never use anyone else if I had a dead relative needing disposing of. :lol:

Hornblower

Jul 7, 2003
is that because its rough, or because Worthing pays less or they live in Brighton and dont want to pay for an expensive cab home at 2am? or because its dull, many bouncers like the rough venues.

Well, supposedly because it's rough. I'm impressed by the number of people who live in Worthing and have come on here to take issue with my comments, only saying it as I have seen it but maybe I have been unlucky. My Mum has a beach hut on Worthing sea front and it's a very nice place to be when the sun is shining.

Silkster365

Oooo its a corner
Feb 21, 2009
Rustington
I like it here, and I have lived in Hove most my life. Its quiet, although there is still a nightlife. I tend to jump on the train at the weekend to Brighton or Chichester which are both about the same journey time.

Cheaper to live here, so best of both worlds in my opinion

seagullsslimjim

Sep 26, 2003
Re getting back to Worthing after a Brighton night out - there is the N700 night bus from Churchill Square - last at about 2.50am. this was introduced last summer

Caught it last summer and drops all the way back to Durrington for a bargain £5.00!

Was like the film Speed - 5 stops and still took only 37 mins to Durrington station way - quicker than a cab !!

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Worthing pisses over Burgess Hill every day of the week.

But we don't your kind here anyway.:wanker::lol:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here