Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Wilkins really a great coach?

Uncle C

Jul 6, 2004
Bishops Stortford
I keep reading from everyone on here that Wilkins is a great coach.

Well playing devils advocate, I haven't seen a great deal of evidence.:rave:

OK he proved successful with the youth team but many people criticised set pieces, throw ins, etc in the first team.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Whatever you say the crop of youngsters that have come through into the first team are the best we have for decades. Its hard to dispute that. Some of that must be down to Dean's coaching skills. Whether he can take that further and be a good manager is arguable.

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
That would be an example of his managerial/tactical abilities though, not his coaching ones. I guess the true test is have his players improved under him?

I think without question he has improved players in the time he has been involved with them.

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003
a good coach produces good players....

Scotty Mac

Jul 13, 2003

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
Yep, I'd agree. It's not a coincidence that we've suddenly got a crop of youngsters fit for league football, having spent the past 10 years producing precisely f*** all. He is a top coach in my opinion, just not a manager.

I think anyone arguing he is not a great coach is talking arse, but you're right that doesn't make him a good manager. In fairness though a top coach only becomes a good manager with experience which in my view is the key difference between Wilkins and Adams. Given time I am sure Wilkins will prove to be a good manager but perhaps it would have taken too long for our ambitions.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
A top coach, and on his way to becoming a good manager as well until DK pulled the rug from under him!
The fact that he led us to 7th in the league this year proves that he IS a manager, and with more experience a potential good one.

Doesn't make him a top manager though!

He's a good youth coach, but has he got what it takes coaching pro's already of experience? Not so sure. Certainly, i'm struggling to think of a player who'd already played under McGhee that's made much progress under Wilkins...

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
Never said he was a top manager. Just that he has the potential to be a good manager, and that he was starting to show that until his career at the helm was stopped short.

Badger said he wasn't a top manager, you disagreed!

I love the fact that you're still blaming Dick Knight as well - what about everyone else on the board?

Jan 14, 2008
Windsor ontario
A friend of mine was taking his B license up in London years ago and a certain Mr Wilkins was there doing his at the same time. My mate was the only one doing it not from a pro club.....He was an apprentice at chelsea and is now coaching over with me in the States.

Anyway he said Wilkins was the best coach there by an absolute mile.....quality guy aswell.....helped him prepare his sessions .

He was the only guy there to give my mate the time of day .....Kerry Dixon,Keith Stevens and a load of other wankers givin it the big I am .

Heard from a relable soure that Newcastle and Man Utd were looking at him during that cup run with the youth team.

Last edited:

seagurn

Feb 19, 2007
County town
Heard from a relable soure that Newcastle and Man Utd were looking at him during that cup run with the youth team.[/QUOTE]

They probrually still are but i wouldn't rule out a move to ARSEnal to link up with liam Brady :bowdown:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here