Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is This The End for Newspapers

Dover

Home at Last.
Oct 5, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
The original point was this though. I have just been listening to the Radio (but bear in mind I am on nights) and Simon Mayo, yes him again, is fronting a campaign for Top of the Pops to return, and there are two specials over the festive period planned.

Now if the papers pick that up it is old news, like the text I received the other night. Yes papers may have their place for results, fixtures and comments, but by their nature they are at best six hours out of date.

getreal1

Aug 13, 2008
tabloids are a crock of shit anyway, too many morons in this society believing everything they read so do things in their life that their favoured tabloid suggests they do....RUBBISH!

Quite - it's impossible not to look down on someone who reads the Sun or the Mirror

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Trinity Mirror has frozen staff pay and flogged off a number of titles, and plenty of newspaper groups are feeling the pinch. The group I used to work for in Kent/Sussex went over to centralised subbing years ago and lots of district offices closed or operating on skeleton staff. This is as much due to the downturn in advertising revenue as t'internet, although that has had a lot to do with it.

Mind you, the death of newspapers has been predicted since the early 90s, and plenty are still going strong.

Fact is, people have become far less picky about the quality of their news. So most of it these days is big on speed and brevity, and short on intelligence and analysis. Talk to your average local newspaper reporter and they'll tell you they spend *far* more time sitting at their desk wading through PR waffle than they do out and about actually talking to people.

Also explains the growth of the excellent The Week magazine, which cherry picks the most interesting stuff from the week's news and magazines, and regurgitates it in bite-sized chunks for those who want to keep up but don't have the time to read it all.

Bluejuice

Lazy as a rug on Valium
Sep 2, 2004
The free state of Kemp Town
Newspapers have been too slow adapting to the needs of todays urban go-getters and have only relatively recently started to harness the power of the 'net.

As a result other news sources are doing a better job and gaining in popularity.

Print journalism will survive but the golden days are long gone

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here