Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this racist or just plain funny

Publius Ovidius

Jul 5, 2003
at home
Two Black women are standing in a queue in Sainsburys. One of them has a really cute little 12 month old baby boy.

The woman turns to the mum and says " what a cute little boy"

The mum says " awww, thankyou very much"

"Is he teething yet"
" Yes, two car radio's and some fags"

:lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol: :lolol:

Razi

Aug 3, 2003
Stevenage
Would probably be funnier if the women were Jamaican, rather than just 'Black', which would explain the accent better with the word 'teething'.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Well I'll admit I thougth it was funny! Along the lines of a beer can sandwich!

If you find it funny because it plays on the accent then no it isn't racist. If you think it's funny because you think all blacks are theives then yes it is.

Dave my man, you have opened a live one here...

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
Don't mean to single out this instance in particular Dave but it does seem to be a rule of thumb on here that laughing faces/smilies tend to follow something fairly unfunny. If it's funny, wouldn't it be obvious without laughing heads?

:lolol: :lolol: whoops

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
harry_h do you mean a scouser with a West Indian accent???

The word teething being the intrinsic part of the joke

If the joke is TOLD in a scouse accent, there's no need to mention the race of the mother at all.

The test of whether this particular joke is racist might depend upon the motives of the person telling the joke. Some jokes will always be racist, whatever the circumstances. Others will be borderline.

I wonder how it works as an Ulster joke.

harry_h

Dec 30, 2003
Hove
Lord Bracknell said:

I wonder how it works as an Ulster joke.

What do you mean by this?

Also me saying scouse had nothing to do with the accent, but with the thieving tradition.

Also (again!) the one of only fools and horses was west indian and from liverpool

SM BHAFC

Jul 10, 2003
North Laine
It don't work quite as well without the teething bit a West Indain says phonetically teething for thieving a scouser does not.

As for Ulster accent it would not work there either Lord B thanks for trying though, surely the motive for the joke is to make people laugh in this case. Why am I getting in to this ?

harry_h said:
What do you mean by this?
I mean that the joke work for me mainly (not entirely, of course) as a play on accents, rather than anti-social behaviour habits.

The same seems to be the case for SM BHAFC, who picked up the accent thing (although he doesn't think it works as an Ulster joke).

Ulster was suggested to me by roz, who has family living there - and made sense to me because I find the accent of rural Fermanagh particularly impenetrable.

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here