Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is this legal?

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
you can go where u like as long as balls in play... unlike rugger where its all down to yer feet!

Think you can go off the pitch in rugger so long as you are not holding the ball when you foot is touching the ground either on or over the line. The ball itself can be over the line as long as you are not.

Being a fan of proper football I stand to be corrected.

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He could have been BOOKED for leaving the field of play without permission and then BOOKED again for re-entering the field of play without permission.

Box of Frogs

Zamoras Left Boot
Oct 8, 2003
Right here, right now
He plays for Manure Utd - he can do what he likes!!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
What would happen if the defender followed him off the pitch and fouled him? How can you give a free kick for a foul that happened off the pitch? Where would the free kick be taken from?

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
^ now that is a good question

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
No - Berbatov needed permission from the referee to return to the field of play.
This was done so quickly though, so that Berbs was able to carry on like nothing untoward had transpired.

:jester:

There was something like this in Ask The Ref the other week. I dont think this is considered having left the pitch in the terms of needing permission to come back on. If it did the game would have to stop every time the goal keeper strayed behind his line.

Wardy

NSC's Benefits Guru
Oct 9, 2003
In front of the PC
There was something like this in Ask The Ref the other week. I dont think this is considered having left the pitch in the terms of needing permission to come back on. If it did the game would have to stop every time the goal keeper strayed behind his line.

And when someone took a throw-in

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
And when someone took a throw-in

Exactly. I think the Ask The Ref was to do with a player being in the back of the goal and preventing a ball from crossing the line.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here