Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there such a thing as an Albion Train awayday special

The judge

Sep 28, 2011
Portslade
But did it stop at interim stations outside of Sussex? Was it Albion fans only? Did it have a big fat steward with a booming voice who bore a passing resemblance to Stavros from Kojak constantly walking up and down and trying desperately to enforce the 'no alcohol' rule? Unless the answer to those questions are No, Yes and Yes then was NOT a special train in the true sense, merely an additional one.

I remember Stavros !! Very funny days !!

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
The specials were great. Apart from the infamous Forest debacle, I don't remember many other breakdowns. BTW, my Forest train got through. I think they usually stopped at H. Hth and Bridges. Certainly, Mullery would get off at Bridges on the way back.
Yeah, Stavros made his presence known. His name was Tony, and he was a guard from Worthing.
The players would normally travel back on the train. A Pullman coach was hooked on the back.
These trains were incredibly cheap. I think it was £5 return for the promotion game at Newcastle.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
I remember Stavros !! Very funny days !!

The specials were great. Apart from the infamous Forest debacle, I don't remember many other breakdowns. BTW, my Forest train got through. I think they usually stopped at H. Hth and Bridges. Certainly, Mullery would get off at Bridges on the way back.
Yeah, Stavros made his presence known. His name was Tony, and he was a guard from Worthing.
The players would normally travel back on the train. A Pullman coach was hooked on the back.
These trains were incredibly cheap. I think it was £5 return for the promotion game at Newcastle.
Yeah, Tony McLeod wasn't it? I could be wrong. Anyway, a great character and along with Ron Pavey he really was the Albion made flesh. A lot of flesh. Great days.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Wow I wish there were club trains for away games now adays !!!
Words can't really do it justice mate. When I'm lying on my deathbed and I close my eyes for the last time ... and open them to find I'm on the Seagull Special going to Newcastle in 1979 with Stavros booming in my ear that the buffet car has run out of mashed potato and so the sausage special is now off then I shall know I'm in heaven.

bn1&bn3 Albion

Jan 15, 2011
Portslade
Never went on one myself but have been told many stories about them from my old man. Didn't the players sometimes come down the train after a win to "mingle" with the fans.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Please don't bring back the seagull special, it broke down too often!!!!! Will never forget the Forest 5th round tie. Well I wouldn't would, I spent the evening at Kettering station!!!

When the train didn't break down there would always be a suicide on the track to make up for it.

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
He died a couple of years ago, colleague of mine till he took early retirement and developed a fixation with Barry Mannilow

And T'Pau!!!

Mellor 3 Ward 4

Jul 27, 2004
saaf of the water

Great days indeed.

And yes, Mullery did used to get on/off at Three Bridges.

I was on the Forest one that didn't get there - and as the trains weren't the most reliable we often got to the games only just before kick off.

I remember getting to Sunderland once, (we won 2-0) running to the ground and going in the home end by mistake. BAD move!

No point in bringing them back, if you book up early enough you can get cheap train tickets, AND have a drink these days!

Blackadder

Brighton Bhuna Boy
Jul 6, 2003
Haywards Heath
Sorry to hear about Stavros. I remember paying £4 to get to York one year. There was a booze ban on the train but we used to smuggle some tinnies on at Haywards Heath.

I was on the first of two trains turned back for the Forest game. Another poster on here (Birdman) still ribs me about it today as I turned down a place on his coach in favour of the train.

Mr Blobby

Jul 14, 2003
In a cave
My Dad was on the one to Notts Forest that never made it! I only did a few, I remember the one to Hull in the FA Cup in Jan 86. The Hull supporters ambushed the train as it pulled out the station at the ground and it was a very cold journey home as our carriage lost most of its windows!

What ever happened to the good old "milk trains", we used to get them for some of the long away trips!!! You used to be able to get a train pretty much any time in the early 80's but these days services stop really early. Used to love the special offers of anywhere in the country for £5 (cant remember the vouchers you used to have to get), but we certainly did a few long trips on those as well!

Not sure they would work now with all the privatised lines, also you can normally have a beer on most trains these days (we very occasionally come across "dry" trains if a big London club heading the same way as us!) but guess any "offical" travel would have to be alcohol free!

Storer 68

Apr 19, 2011
Never went on one myself but have been told many stories about them from my old man. Didn't the players sometimes come down the train after a win to "mingle" with the fans.

After the promotion at Newcastle, they had to be "helped" off the train as walking, for some, had become quite a challenge:cheers::drink::drink::drunk:

KNC

Sep 3, 2003
Seven Dials
Ha yeah, they were ambushed regularly. Rotherham comes to mind.
We used to get the tickets from a hut on the NW corner of the Goldstone after a game. They were the old Edmundson card type.

seabass1

Aug 1, 2011
Horsham
Sad to hear about Stavros, used to pick us up and drop us off at Havant if the train came that way to save us coming back towards Brighton to get it.
RIP my freind see you in heaven !!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here