Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there a party-pooper mentality in Lewes

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Sorry if fixtures, but saw this on The Argus site:-

A bonfire night which attracts 70,000 revellers each year is asking visitors to stay away.

Lewes bonfire night is one of the biggest in the country but organisers say they cannot cope with the burgeoning masses of people who descend on the town.

They are making an appeal to restrict their celebrations to the 15,000 residents of Lewes. They are urging revellers from outside to find events closer to home.

Now, having been a few times, I know the place gets mobbed and you could argue their point on health & safety grounds, but in that case, as I'm a Brighton resident I'm going to protest at the number of people from Lewes travelling into Brighton and clogging up the streets & pavements!!

Same mentality. Can't believe some people. :nono:

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
When i lived in Lewes i used to go along - don't have much choice hardly going to get alot of sleep - but wouldn't bother if i had to drag in from elsewhere.

Napper

Jul 9, 2003
Sussex
been a few times , the number of chavs that seem to attend though seems to of gone through the roof.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Dougal said:
been a few times , the number of chavs that seem to attend though seems to of gone through the roof.

Mecca to chavs - let's be honest any excuse for them to drink and set fire to things legally - no wonder they arrive in droves.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
They ask this every year; it's because of the massive queues for trains etc etc. Sometimes there's police advice as well.

It makes me want to ask Lewesians to stay away from the Pier and Brighton's nice shopping facilities. :angry:

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
I just think there's an irony when they talk about congestion problems, when their own district council is happy to insist that central and eastern Brighton gets congested every other Saturday by demanding our stadium be built at Sheepcote Valley.

Monkey Man

Your support is not that great
Jan 30, 2005
Neither here nor there
Asking outsiders to keep away from Lewes on bonfire night seems fair enough to me. The event is already very overcrowded and Sussex is not exactly short of other bonfire events.

I don't think you can really draw a parallel between this and the Falmer issue given that the people issuing the advice are bugger all to do with the stadium debate.

As for asking Lewes people to keep away from Brighton shopping facilities, does that include me? I live in Seaford and pay my council tax to Lewes.

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
Monkey Man said:
Asking outsiders to keep away from Lewes on bonfire night seems fair enough to me. The event is already very overcrowded and Sussex is not exactly short of other bonfire events.

I don't think you can really draw a parallel between this and the Falmer issue given that the people issuing the advice are bugger all to do with the stadium debate.

As for asking Lewes people to keep away from Brighton shopping facilities, does that include me? I live in Seaford and pay my council tax to Lewes.

I'd love to tell all these Cockney wankers to keep away from Brighton.

The Clown of Pevensey Bay

Jul 5, 2003
Suburbia
Monkey Man said:

Which just demonstrates the absurdity of Lewes's position. Come on guys, it's only a bit of fun for one night a year. Besides, the bonfire paraders come from all over Sussex, not just Lewes.

smudge

Up the Albion!
Jul 8, 2003
On the ocean wave
It won't be long before Lewes Bonfire night is stopped by the new Liberal elite anyway. Anything that draws attention to their quiet little town won't be welcome.......except trying to bring the nearest league club to its knees of course.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
The Clown of Pevensey Bay said:
Which just demonstrates the absurdity of Lewes's position. Come on guys, it's only a bit of fun for one night a year. Besides, the bonfire paraders come from all over Sussex, not just Lewes.

Cheers kind sir - EXACTLY the point I was making!! :clap2:

Hadn't thought of the parallel with LDCs preference for Sheepcote Valley - but good call.

desprateseagull

Jul 20, 2003
brighton, actually
better ask the Argus not to do their usual route maps etc, then.. Lewes would DIE without the trade this brings in- pubs, burger bars, hotels etc all do very nicely i am sure..

and maybe even a few charities, along the way?

lets get the LDC effigy started!

BensGrandad

Jul 13, 2003
Haywards Heath
Nobby's Betamax Video said:
A bonfire night which attracts 70,000 revellers each year is asking visitors to stay away.

: [/B]

Has anybody thought of a 'guy' in the guise of Norman Baker in a BHA shirt sat on a bonfire in the procession.

Sep 30, 2006
Up in the Gods
Actually, thinking about it, wouldn't this be a good opportunity to publicise The Seagulls Party, obtain signatures on a petition (to make Simon Whatisname from the Lib Dums comments re: asking the people sound very stupid) & generally rubbish LDC ?

Thoughts anyone?:falmerspi

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
desprateseagull said:
Lewes would DIE without the trade this brings in- pubs, burger bars, hotels etc all do very nicely i am sure..

One evening a year when 99% of shops are shut and a majority on route pay to get boarded up. Most of the burger bars are those picky ones that come from wherever they do come from. The only pubs which really benefit are the societies "home" pubs.

No Lewes wouldnt die without bonfire night

Goring Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Huddersfield
gazwag said:
One evening a year when 99% of shops are shut and a majority on route pay to get boarded up. Most of the burger bars are those picky ones that come from wherever they do come from. The only pubs which really benefit are the societies "home" pubs.

No Lewes wouldnt die without bonfire night

Used to hang about in the Elephant and Castle which i beklieve is Commercials home pub.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here