Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is there a Health & Safety Guideline limit...

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
... on minimum and maximum office environment temperatures?

Our office is in an old townhouse (rather than a purpose-built building), and some numpty turned off the heating over the weekend to the effect that it's still bloody freezing in here.

The temperature gauge says 14ºC, though it was only 9ºC when I came in this morning.

Anyone know?

strings

Moving further North...
Feb 19, 2006
Barnsley
The Workplace (Health, Safety and Welfare) Regulations 1992 lay down particular requirements for most aspects of the working environment

Regulation 7 of these Regulations deals specifically with the temperature in indoor workplaces and states that:

During working hours, the temperature in all workplaces inside buildings shall be reasonable.

However, the application of the regulation depends on the nature of the workplace i.e. a bakery, a cold store, an office, a warehouse.

From the Health and Safety Executive

It goes on to say it should be 16 degrees celcius.

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
If some of the girls in my office had their way, the minimum would be 36oC and the heaters left on maximum blast 365 days a year.

Tooting Gull

Jul 5, 2003
Why call it 'reasonable' and not just put a temperature on it for anybody not working in a freezer test centre? Bloody lawyers, they probably drafted these regulations and deliberately left carte blanche for some of their compadres to argue the toss about it in court later and make even more money.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Am am lead to believe that although the max temperature is a legally requirement the minimum is only a recommendation so no you need to get hypothermia and then sue.

The reality of work is that there NEVER comes a point at which an employee can say to the boss "The temperature in here is XºC, that means we can all go home".

The best you can hope for on a day like this is that the boss might suggest you wear your coat and scarf.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
Why call it 'reasonable' and not just put a temperature on it for anybody not working in a freezer test centre?

so that the law doesnt have to have a list of each and every single vocation, profession, workplace etc, and doesnt have to be updated when someone starts a new business that doesnt fit the list.

Am am lead to believe that although the max temperature is a legally requirement the minimum is only a recommendation so no you need to get hypothermia and then sue.

other way round, the minimum is legal limit but upper is open ended.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
The summer of 2003 it got unbearably hot one afternoon in a warehouse in Burgess Hill where i was working.Really awful conditions.I took my top off and carried on as usual.Soon after the boss comes over to me and says "Would you mind putting your top back on.You're not at the beach now.Besides it's not appropriate showing your tattoo's here." I stood my ground and said "Unless we get fans in you'll have to get used to looking at them" Soon after the fans appeared.:lol:

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Typical. H&S think their guidelines help people. What it does is totally confuse everyone.

RexCathedra

Aurea Mediocritas
Jan 14, 2005
Vacationland
Ask Mr. Scrooge nicely and I'm sure another scuttle full of coal will materialize. It is the season, after all.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
f***ing hell, just put on a jumper and get on with your job you workshy twat!

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
If you feel too cold working in an office all it means is that you are not working hard enough and the simple solution is to wear a coat.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
In my office the inside temperature is the same as the outside temperature until i get the wood burning stove going when i arrive in the mornings.
so this morning it would have been -1 Its always been like that and never thought anything of it,
Grow some balls man !

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here