Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is the top 4 really out of reach?

Is the top 4 really out of reach?

• Yes. We can't compete from this position

Votes: 110 49.1%
  • No. We are bang in the hunt

Votes: 114 50.9%

• Total voters

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
Obviously strength in depth is the big question mark, but it's worth remembering that Leicester didn't have a squad featuring £50m players on the bench when they won the league.

No disrespect meant but they were relying on Leo Ulloa as their back up striker. I liked Ulloa of course, but is he a massive upgrade on, say, Denis Undav?

Giraffe

VERY part time moderator
Helpful Moderator
NSC Patron
Aug 8, 2005
On current form it is there for the taking. I'd say only Arsenal, Man City and Man Utd are not catchable. I am hopeful Newcastle may start to wane and focus on their cup final

MJsGhost

Oooh Matron, I'm an
NSC Patron
Jun 26, 2009
East
FiveThirtyEight predict 7th, but only 3 points off 4th and a better than 1 in 5 chance of making the top 4.

Just 3 more points to find from somewhere...

My word.

EDIT: I was looking at the SPI column, not points. The points prediction is 6 points off 4th place, so we need to find TWO extra wins (22% change of CL still stands, as does the prediction of 7th!). I'll add the table, sorted by points further below...

1675181414300.png

Last edited:

bhafc99

Oct 14, 2003
Dubai
Arsenal and the two Manchester clubs are nailed on for top 4 I think. So it needs Newcastle to start sliding big time, and then for us to stay ahead of Chelsea, Spurs etc. I just don’t think it’s feasible, tbh, and want top six to be the aim - and achievement.

jcdenton08

Offended Liver Sausage
NSC Patron
Oct 17, 2008
But we are in the European places NOW. If we can't discuss it here and now, where and when can we?
I hear you, but top 7 would be an astounding achievement. I just can’t see a world where we finish ahead of Chelsea, Arsenal, City, Liverpool, Newcastle and Man Utd. Chelsea have about half their team to come back from injury and are about to spend another £108m on a player today, after spending £90m on a winger a few weeks ago…

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone

Is the top 4 really out of reach?​

Yes.

Let's keep our feet on the ground and hope to be pleasantly surprised. Liverpool and Chelsea are likely to have better second halves of the season, and even if we play well I'm expecting us to miss out on any European place. If we get the final European place, I'll be crying with happiness.

Green Cross Code Man

Wunt be druv
Mar 30, 2006
Eastbourne
I just shudder at threads like this as they’re ones that other fans may see or be bounced when we’re 14th etc 🤣
This is true. However the question simply asked if it was possible. I don't think any of our fans is stupid enough to think we are very likely or a certainty, more that we are on the brink of something that for our club would be phenomenal.

Fans always predict finishing spots, if we were 12th we would be debating if 8th or a possible European place were likely or casting our minds back to Hughton and early Potter, we were 16th and the question was could we go down.

Who cares if other fans 'use this', we are a fantastic club in a fantastic position we have never enjoyed before, and we should make the most of it, it is a great feeling!

Diallo

Jan 3, 2021
31 points gained from our first 19 games this season.

41 points needed from the next 19 games to equal last seasons 4th place points total.

Definitely possible, especially without our manager jumping ship this time.

Dibdab

Sep 28, 2021
Of course it's doable although a long shot. Win the games in hand and beat the team likely to be in the 4th spot and we are only a couple of points behind. Away at St James Park could be a HUGE game for us!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
This is Brighton and Hove Albion. Of course we’re finishing top 4! This rise from the ashes story still isn’t over!
As a fan for more years than I care to calculate my take is:

This is Brighton and Hove Albion. Of course we won’t, starting with a defeat against Bournemouth :wink:

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here