looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/3242353.stm

Biggest solar flare goes off

By Dr David Whitehouse
BBC News Online science editor

The largest ever flare glares from the Sun's limb
Just as solar scientists thought the Sun might be winding down it has unleashed the biggest solar flare ever recorded.
It was so energetic that it overloaded the detectors on satellites monitoring the Sun's surface.

The blast was accompanied with a gigantic gas cloud of billions of tonnes of superhot gas being ejected into space - some of it directed at Earth.

Researchers are saying that the Sun's current spate of activity - now 10 days in duration - is the most dramatic and intense ever witnessed on the Sun's surface.

Huge energy

Powerful solar flares are given an "X" designation. There was an X8 and an X3 event on Sunday.

On Monday, there was an X3 flare followed by smaller ones.

The gas cloud starts on its way
Last week there were X7 and X10 events that took place back-to-back.

Tuesday's flare went off the scale, researchers say it was "well above X20".

This would make it the most powerful ever recorded, surpassing the X20 flares of 2 April 2001 and 16 August 1989.

The major flares have come from sunspot region 486, now officially the most active solar region in recorded solar observational history.

Region 486 is being taken over the Sun's limb by solar rotation. Parts of the latest megaflare occurred beyond the limb.

Dr Paal Brekke, deputy project scientist for the Solar Heliospheric Observatory (Soho) Sun-monitoring satellite, told BBC News Online: "I think the last week will go into the history books as one of the most dramatic solar activity periods we have seen in modern times."

Better start digging bunkers.:eek:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
tedebear said:
better get my list of things to do before I leave this world sorted...

typical female.:nono:

Dont forget to put the cat out.:lolol:

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
Men dont have lists of things to do unless its a hit list.:lolol:

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
I feel sorry for the Notts County fans.

It's bad enough your club going out of business without the sun blowing up as well...

:(

JEM

Jul 5, 2003
Bevendean
The Sun? Blow up?

Eventually. But not today.

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Yup. Threadkiller...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here