Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the pitch an illusion?

moggy

Oct 15, 2003
southwick
If you stand on the west side at pitch level, the pitch seems to be concave.
Definitely looks if there's a rise in the middle as you look across to the east side.
If you go higher up in the west, it doesn't notice, you have to be at pitch level
Bugger this! I'm off to specsavers !!!!

Bozza

You can change this
Helpful Moderator
Jul 4, 2003
Back in Sussex
It definitely has a hump. Which is not the same as having the hump*.

(* see - disabled fans, kids wanting some Dick's action, front row 1901ers/WSUers, those who object to queuing for 3 hours to get a pint etc)

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
It was designed that way to aid drainage and possibly (not sure about this one) to get the ball pushed easier to the wings as requested by Gus

Sussex Nomad

Aug 26, 2010
EP
Was explained to me it was to help drainage... I'm not convinced.

Triggaaar

Oct 24, 2005
Goldstone
Er, why is it not level?

EDIT - Just seen the reasons above:
drainage? Don't be daft, it's a brand new system, drainage should be a breeze.
passing the ball around? - that also sounds strange, would it not be more likely to run away when spread wide? It's not like it's difficult to pass the ball from the centre to the side.

MrShaun15

Aug 28, 2010
yea all the newer pitches have that to help with the drainage so the water runs off as apposed to you getting puddles in the pitch :)

Everest

Me
Jul 5, 2003
Southwick
Because it's meant to be that way.

somerset

Jul 14, 2003
Yatton, North Somerset
Convex you mean...

magoo

Jul 8, 2003
United Kingdom
Probably another psychological illusion to make the opposition think they are always running up hill chasing the ball while we have possession.

Curly5194

Jun 20, 2011
Horsham
That's why if you sit in the first row your actually looking slightly up at the players.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
All top pitches are like that. Ask any cameraman who's had to work pitchside... if the camera has to be keep too low down, it can be a struggle to see the players' feet when they're on the other side of the field.

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
It is a crown, as in crown bowling. It is the correct way of laying a pitch, the highest point being the centre spot unlike Portsmouths which appears to rise up at the goal mouths. Newcastle's is easily the worst in the top 2 divs, it slopes end to end by 8 foot

It's an improvement on the original plan.
easterroad.jpg

Sep 1, 2010
It is designed that was so that when Lumping great football fans try and invade the pitch, it is too much of an incline for them to get to the middle before having to stop for a packet of Monster Munch

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here