• Yes

Votes: 22 20.6%
  • No

Votes: 85 79.4%

• Total voters

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
A quick bounce of this thread before the football starts as I didn't see it the first time around, if that's ok - briefly; I contacted my GP (again) recently regarding some mental health issues & was recommended meds., a self-help style CBT website & was referred for a Mental Health Team call back.

I do not see meds as a solution - at least not on their own without some kind of professional guidance - & the website appeared to be a farmed-out (American, I think) enterprise, that was somewhat infantile, ironically anxiety inducing & a bit depressing.

The MHT called & basically informed me (in a very pleasant, caring way) that there was nothing the NHS could provide me, bar sending me a link for a private therapy organisation charging what appear to be standard rates, even charging for the initial consultation. I have had some therapy sessions in the past couple of years (through the NHS) but, it seems, because they didn't appear to help me in any way, it no longer allowed for any other options to be available.

Also, & still trying to keep this brief (sorry), I have regular, routine appointments (increasingly over the phone) with a haematologist for a leukaemia condition (genuinely not that bad, as it might sound), & two of the last three appointments just never happened, with no explanation, & one was around six hours late (that's not so bad, TBF!).

Anyway, just my view from Cardiff; it does feel as if the situation is getting scarily close to 'not fit for purpose' but I will leave it there for now!

BLOCK F

Feb 26, 2009
A quick bounce of this thread before the football starts as I didn't see it the first time around, if that's ok - briefly; I contacted my GP (again) recently regarding some mental health issues & was recommended meds., a self-help style CBT website & was referred for a Mental Health Team call back.

I do not see meds as a solution - at least not on their own without some kind of professional guidance - & the website appeared to be a farmed-out (American, I think) enterprise, that was somewhat infantile, ironically anxiety inducing & a bit depressing.

The MHT called & basically informed me (in a very pleasant, caring way) that there was nothing the NHS could provide me, bar sending me a link for a private therapy organisation charging what appear to be standard rates, even charging for the initial consultation. I have had some therapy sessions in the past couple of years (through the NHS) but, it seems, because they didn't appear to help me in any way, it no longer allowed for any other options to be available.

Also, & still trying to keep this brief (sorry), I have regular, routine appointments (increasingly over the phone) with a haematologist for a leukaemia condition (genuinely not that bad, as it might sound), & two of the last three appointments just never happened, with no explanation, & one was around six hours late (that's not so bad, TBF!).

Anyway, just my view from Cardiff; it does feel as if the situation is getting scarily close to 'not fit for purpose' but I will leave it there for now!

Sadly, proper MH support within the NHS is scant and has been for years, but I do hope you manage to find some suitable help and support in the near future.
Best wishes and I hope the England match didn’t prove too trying. Could be worse, I support Scotland and watched the other night!
Anyway, good luck with everything.👍

SuperFurrySeagull

Sep 25, 2003
Cardiff By The Sea
Sadly, proper MH support within the NHS is scant and has been for years, but I do hope you manage to find some suitable help and support in the near future.
Best wishes and I hope the England match didn’t prove too trying. Could be worse, I support Scotland and watched the other night!
Anyway, good luck with everything.👍
Thank you for your good wishes - no, football is not always a great help!

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My wife has been diagnosed with cataracts this morning so I guess we will find out if they are fit for purpose or not. She has already had an email asking how well she would rate the referral service even though she has heard nothing from the referral service! :) Optician said that there is a 9 month wait at NHS hospitals but the local NHS are using private hospitals too where there is a 2 month wait. He reckons she will have an op with in 3 to 4 months but we will see.

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Feel a bit guilty having a little NHS rant here- but just spent the whole day at the hospital needlessly ( and it’s a regular occurrence now) Because I require NHS hospital transport to get to my monthly treatment, the company that the NHS is subcontracted to is very erratic - sometimes not turning up or like today arriving 2 hrs early for an 11.00 appt ( journey time 45 minutes) - then after my 2 appointments today, waiting 3 1/2 hours at the entrance to the hospital in a wheelchair waiting to be picked up to go home - finally got home at 6pm - a very challenging day for someone triggered by noise, strong indoor lighting and crowds.☹️

Stiil waiting for an “urgent” brain scan referral from 3 months ago - apparently according to the NHS app, I had an appointment 2 weeks ago but it was cancelled all without my knowledge- meanwhile headaches, double vision and loss of balance getting worse - what can you do - the Appointment teams are a law unto themselves 🤷🏻‍♂️

Upside, following diagnosis of PTSD and ’autism burnout’ whatever that means several months ago, I have been triaged by the MH team and been referred to an NHS psychiatrist for 1:1 support - it was mutually agreed that medication wasn’t the way forward for me as I don’t suffer from the usual ‘run of the mill’ anxiety or depression but just overwhelmed with pain and fatigue from physical illnesses and well defined PTSD and Autism.

As always, nurses, doctors bloody amazing, incredibly attentive and helpful all day 😍

Always good to end a rant on a positive 🙂

Last edited:

Zeberdi

“Vorsprung durch Technik”
NSC Patron
Oct 20, 2022
Simple question. Given the news about Ken on another thread, do NSC believe the NHS in its current form is fit for purpose?

The Quality Care Commission which is suppose to regulate standards and spot failings certainly isn’t according to Wes Streeting

Wt actual f were the Tories doing for the 14 years they were in government? - It’s increasingly looking like enjoying all the trappings of power without actually doing anything with it. Like waking up the morning after a party you never wanted in the first place, to find the house completely trashed, a hundred dirty glasses piled up in the kitchen, half-empty cans everywhere including in the bathroom, cigarette burns on the carpet, cigarette butts in the plant pots, left over bits of pizza, nuts and crisps in every room and the smell of beer and smelly feet of the unknown bloke crashed on the sofa with his gf.

(Needless to say, I’ve not hosted such a party since my student days!)

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
It seems the ambulance chasers have latched onto the website housing your story......

1721976184230.png

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
The Quality Care Commission which is suppose to regulate standards and spot failings certainly isn’t according to Wes Streeting

Wt actual f were the Tories doing for the 14 years they were in government? - It’s increasingly looking like enjoying all the trappings of power without actually doing anything with it. Like waking up the morning after a party you never wanted in the first place, to find the house completely trashed, a hundred dirty glasses piled up in the kitchen, half-empty cans everywhere including in the bathroom, cigarette burns on the carpet, cigarette butts in the plant pots, left over bits of pizza, nuts and crisps in every room and the smell of beer and smelly feet of the unknown bloke crashed on the sofa with his gf.

(Needless to say, I’ve not hosted such a party since my student days!)
Indeed. It was wheeze after wheeze, government contracts for pals, culminating in the Great Neglect under Boris the Liar.

And millions loved it, and love it still. Their main issue now being their jubilation that Labour may not have been entirely forthcoming about their tax and spend commitments in their manifesto.

Tory lies - good.

Labour circumspection - EVIL

:shootself

KZNSeagull

Nov 26, 2007
Wolsingham, County Durham
My wife has been diagnosed with cataracts this morning so I guess we will find out if they are fit for purpose or not. She has already had an email asking how well she would rate the referral service even though she has heard nothing from the referral service! :) Optician said that there is a 9 month wait at NHS hospitals but the local NHS are using private hospitals too where there is a 2 month wait. He reckons she will have an op with in 3 to 4 months but we will see.
Mrs KZN had her initial assessment this morning and will have her first surgery on 16/8 so that's pretty good! Only downside is that it is in Middlesbrough so we may not get out alive afterwards :)

Mo Gosfield

Aug 11, 2010
Indeed. It was wheeze after wheeze, government contracts for pals, culminating in the Great Neglect under Boris the Liar.

And millions loved it, and love it still. Their main issue now being their jubilation that Labour may not have been entirely forthcoming about their tax and spend commitments in their manifesto.

Tory lies - good.

Labour circumspection - EVIL

:shootself
There are two types of fairy stories. Those that you read to your young children and party manifestos.
The first type have a better chance of becoming reality.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
There are two types of fairy stories. Those that you read to your young children and party manifestos.
The first type have a better chance of becoming reality.
Really?

Right, I'm off to grow a beanstalk!

Last edited:

Me Atome

Mar 10, 2024
I've said on here before that I am very encouraged by what Wes Streeting has said about the need for big changes and improvements to the NHS. But he is very soon going to have to stop complaining about what he has "found" and start showing what he is going to do.

I know he isn't going to improve anything for months (years?), let alone a few days, but he will soon need to set out what he is planning to do.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here