Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the Claridge experiment over?

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Ok he looked good against West Ham and held the ball up well but he appeared totally out of his depth against Ipswich on Sat. Ball was bouncing back off him and never sticking and you just felt that little bit more pace from someone like Leon would have hurt them alot more.

If we get Mcbackgammon and then Virgo returns from suspension, do we need him for rest of season or do we say thanks but no thanks?

Also can someone please tell McGhee that Currie is by far our most creative midfielder and shouldnt be wasted upfront. He had the game by scruff of the neck when he dropped back and wasnt chasing long balls all the time.

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Agree Currie should be in midfield but disagree on Claridge..midfielders need to give him more support..leons pace helps but he doesnt hold it up. We need to play them both at home and ensure the get adequate support ..need to play Hammond as he seems more "box to box" to me.

Scarface

Apr 16, 2004
Burgess Hill
Claridge was ok on his own but would be much more effective if partnered with Leon. They looked pretty good on sat but should have been on from the start. He played an excellent ball across the six yard box but there was noone to tap it home. Currie definately looked better out wide and crossing from deep.

Keep Claridge, we need the cover and experience.

Rangdo

Registered Cider Drinker
Apr 21, 2004
Cider Country
The Auditor said:
leons pace helps but he doesnt hold it up. We need to play them both at home and ensure the get adequate support

Exactly. As I've said before I thought this was why MM signed Claridge, so that he could hold the ball up for Leon. Get Leon back in the team ffs.

Beeneys gloves

Jul 7, 2003
Im for dropping Carpenter and playing Hammond for a few games, he looked far more mobile in the short time he was on rather than Chippie who seemed badly out of sorts!

Schrödinger's Toad

Nie dla Idiotów
Jan 21, 2004
I think he has a role to play in bringing the best out of Leon, so not playing them together yet is bizarre - McGhee had better sort this out for Saturday. He can't be expected to do it all up front on his own.

bellsize seagull

Mar 1, 2004
north london
thought he was brilliant on saturday Claridge, works really hard and is someone to hit up front, we looked very good when the changes were made. Think i would play Jones instead of Harding as he seems to get a nose bleed if he g oes over the half way line at the moment. Leon and Claridge to start with Currie, Hammond and Nicolas and Oatway or Chippie !!!:clap2:

The Auditor

Sep 30, 2004
Villiers Terrace
Beeneys gloves said:
Im for dropping Carpenter and playing Hammond for a few games, he looked far more mobile in the short time he was on rather than Chippie who seemed badly out of sorts!

Couldnt agree more...Chippie looks a spent force...Hammond is more " box to box" and will support the forwards more

Ding Dong !

Boy I'm HOT today !
Jul 26, 2004
Worthing
Beeneys gloves said:

I agree...let's see more of Hammond

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Please Please Please play Leon and Claridge together Mark !
Just try it the once and see what happens.

brighton rock

Jul 5, 2003
lancing
single man up front must have pace to run the wings and keep the back four on their toes because of the ball over the top

Stinky Kat

Tripping
Oct 27, 2004
Catsfield
I would rather go at Rotherham with 2 forwards than the formation we used against Burnley. We are the home team, they are poor, lets put a bit of faith in Leon and go for the jugular for the full 90 minutes. Destroy them with our attacking free flowing football.

Harry Lime

Oct 25, 2004
Burgess Hill
McGhees argument has always been that we needed someone bigger to play alongside Leon (OK - not that difficult!). That player could be Claridge or McCammon but we dont need both of them as we can always push McVirgs forward in an emergency. I suspect we may end up selling Leon in January or the summer which would allow Robinson loose to play alongside the bigger player. Knight/Robinson hasnt really worked in a 442 but a bigger player with 1 of them will work.

3gulls

Banned
Jul 26, 2004
Harry Lime said:
McGhees argument has always been that we needed someone bigger to play alongside Leon (OK - not that difficult!). That player could be Claridge or McCammon but we dont need both of them as we can always push McVirgs forward in an emergency. I suspect we may end up selling Leon in January or the summer which would allow Robinson loose to play alongside the bigger player. Knight/Robinson hasnt really worked in a 442 but a bigger player with 1 of them will work.

Bigger, Claridge? Have you seen him? Yes, he's bigger than Leon but only a few inches. He is not the target man we need. :nono:

Little Jake needs to work a bit more with the weights before he gets more than the odd run-out. Yes, he is only a young lad. The trouble is, is he has the body of one. I think he is a great prospect for the future - but not now.

Whoever we bring in needs to be six feet plus, strong, quick, and be able to score himself. Somebody like Trevor Benjamin.???

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
Claridge offered next to nothing without Leon on Sat... with Claridge and Leon up-front we finally looked like we could score... MM mistake again, IMHO... should have played these 2 up-front from the start, probably in a 5-3-2... and MUST be 4-4-2 on Sat... we are at home, against the bottom club, and must sieze the initiative, or we will suffer again a la Burnley...

b.w.2.

Jan 8, 2004
oh, and Claridge is 5'11... so not that small...

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here