Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the 18-21 Age Bracket Really That Important?

but you are just writing off my counter argument because it doesn't affect you.

My point is that limiting the cost of access based on the age of the entrant will have to come to an end when the entrant is too old. Now that may be 16, 18 or 21 or 28 or 47 or 54 or some other choice..

And the price rise might be totally fair and justifiable because the club have worked out that they need to chanhe their pricing structure to make it fairer to other supporters. But that is a commercial decision that the club alone can take. Your decision is whetehr you are prepared to pay it. And no one is making ypu pay it if you don't want to

It's a decision you will have to make. Thousands of Albion fans made the same decision when we were the most expensive club in the First Division

seagull_10

May 12, 2009
but you are just writing off my counter argument because it doesn't affect you.

My point is that limiting the cost of access based on the age of the entrant will have to come to an end when the entrant is too old. Now that may be 16, 18 or 21 or 28 or 47 or 54 or some other choice..

And the price rise might be totally fair and justifiable because the club have worked out that they need to chanhe their pricing structure to make it fairer to other supporters. But that is a commercial decision that the club alone can take. Your decision is whetehr you are prepared to pay it. And no one is making ypu pay it if you don't want to

It's a decision you will have to make. Thousands of Albion fans made the same decision when we were the most expensive club in the First Division

Obviously everyone has to decide whether they can afford it but there is an issue as to whether it is a "fair and justifiable" price rise. It seems that the main argument for it is that the club have chosen this pricing structure. I believe it is unfair on the small group of season ticket holders who are now priced out of the market in a big stadium that we will not fill in the medium to long term while the club pursues such a short-sighted pricing policy. I might choose to buy an adult season ticket or I might decide I cannot afford it - either way the price rise is unreasonable and the issue ought to be discussed because ultimately we all support the same club and we all want to be able to go to matches and see the club be successful.

Guy Fawkes

The voice of treason
Sep 29, 2007
Would the students want a season ticket for the whole of the season's matches anyway?

Will they going to be around for every game or will they miss a lot as they return to their original town / city during breaks in their semesters? - maybe the club will offer a cheaper match by match option rather than season ticket discounts which could suit students better, and the non 18-21 students should be earning anyway so why discount them?

If they did offer cheap student ST's, Isn't there a chance that a lot of seats will remain empty as a result, losing the club valuable revenue that it could have gained by selling at a higher price especially when there is likely to be a high demand for tickets next season

Also the chance of fraudulant use by some people that is not entitled to use them as they arn't the original ST holder and may not fit the age group. As it's an unmanned smart card entry system, who would check that the right person is using the ticket? Maybe its also a result of some of the fans who have abused the discounted tickets in the past that has prompted the club to reduce the number of ticketing options available to cut down on fraud especially as fraud has led to other measures to combat it such as no match day duplicates.

With regards to the Pompey match, both sides have to agree the prices being charged, maybe Pompey didn't want the club to sell any u21 / student priced tickets for the match.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
The price for an over 18 is an adult price.

I am fed up with whiney students bleating about cheap tickets or prices.

I was in the RAF for 30 years how about cheap tickets for current or ex armed forces, or police or fire service or Ambulance..

Pay the adult price or don't go........Simple. ( Just add it on your student fee grant)

You asked for an exact price and I don't have the time to do a full analysis of pricing. But, if we compare the U16 price in South Stand Centre at the Withdean to the U18 price in Zone A, the increase is £118 to £197.50 (67%) ... an U21 ticket would be £240. That is still a reasonable price rise.

I did not ask for an exact price, I asked what you thought would be a reasonable price and you have now given me your answer. You think that £240 per season/£20 per month/£4.61 per week is reasonable. Why can't you afford the extra £150 per season/£12.50 per month/£2.88 per week on top of your reasonable price band?

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
It's a shame because the U21 season ticket was what really got me into the Albion. Before then I had only gone to a few games but now I've had a season ticket for the past three years and go to away games, Although I go to Southampton university, I would have got a season ticket (along with others I know) at anything around the £250 mark but won't be able to afford the AMEX prices..

Sheebo

Jul 13, 2003
I'm not happy about the hike because we're being asked to pay a bigger rise than anyone else (sound familier? :lolol:)

Frustrating? Yes. Its more than double. The U21 ticket was fantastic value. 144 pounds for H block!

Of course prices are due to rise and around the 200/250 mark would have been nice for students perhaps. I've got to consider i'll be spending up to 20 quid ever other week just on travel on top of the 30 odd to sit in a zone A seat. Its not nice to have to pay suddenly 400 quid. But i'll roll with it because as said, going to Falmer isn't a right.

I'd like to see a student discount happen at Amex. I'll have a Season Ticket the first year at Falmer but whether I could sustain that support over a 4 year degree i'm not sure.

£144 / 23 = £6.20 per game. Interesting how people seem to put individual tickets for £12 / £10 on the ticket forum - I know £6.20 is an odd number but isn't that technically touting!?

seagull_10

May 12, 2009
1. If the club is so worried about fraud, it shouldn't offer any discounted tickets.

2. Of course it is subjective as to what is a fair price - I think the arguments for the pricing policy being unfair are stronger than those for it being fair but that's just my opinion.

3. Again, the perceived unfairness with other pricing policies does not make the club's policy towards the 18-21 age group any fairer. Your argument could also be stretched to any discounted tickets ... "pay the adult price or don't go" so do you think everyone should pay the adult price?

seagull_10

May 12, 2009
I did not ask for an exact price, I asked what you thought would be a reasonable price and you have now given me your answer. You think that £240 per season/£20 per month/£4.61 per week is reasonable. Why can't you afford the extra £150 per season/£12.50 per month/£2.88 per week on top of your reasonable price band?

I definitely think it is reasonable for the club to increase prices proportionately between price bands. For one group of supporters to face 300% price rises seems unfair. The 18-21 age group have discounts because they generally have very low incomes (students/unemployed/low salaries) and the club did not want to lose supporters once they reached the age of 18. That policy has now changed without any real explanation as to why. I appreciate it doesn't affect everyone but it really matters to some people and it needs to be justified.

You asked for an exact price and I don't have the time to do a full analysis of pricing. But, if we compare the U16 price in South Stand Centre at the Withdean to the U18 price in Zone A, the increase is £118 to £197.50 (67%) ... an U21 ticket would be £240. That is still a reasonable price rise.

I did not ask for an exact price, I asked what you thought would be a reasonable price and you have now given me your answer. You think that £240 per season/£20 per month/£4.61 per week is reasonable. Why can't you afford the extra £155 per season/£12.91 per month/£2.98 per week on top of your reasonable price band?

There is no reason on this planet why an adult should not pay an adult price. Younsters these days are mollycoddled enough, without the need to subsidise their entertainment. The vast majority (and please dont flame if you are an exception) are either students and are still currently being funded by the state/parents or are in work, living at home with their parents. if they are neither of these and are out of work/education, then tough - the unemployed don't get a discount, so who should you, just because you happen to be 18, 19 or 20?

On top of that, I suspect most 18/19 year olds are probably screwing the system anyhow. How many of you suddenly started paying full price for the train at 16 or stating that you have just turned 18 (when at an away game) and offering the extra tenner +?

Please start to behave like the young adults you are and support your club. We have been very lucky to find someone like Tony Bloom who has put up the cash - it needs to be repaid. I haev no issue paying my full adult ticket (and nor should I) but if you under 21's want a discount, at the end of the day it has to be funded somewhere. And that is either an increase for adults or less money for the players.

Of course, you may decide not to go and watch the Albion anymore. If thats the case then F*** you. If you cannot sacifice 3 pints a week or that one curry a week or those stupid oversized speakers for your car that make that monotonous thumping noise, then go do one - this club don't need you.

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
Am I going senile , back in the old days you started to pay the adult rate once you reached 16 ?

HseagullsH

NSC's tipster
May 15, 2008
Brighton
£144 / 23 = £6.20 per game. Interesting how people seem to put individual tickets for £12 / £10 on the ticket forum - I know £6.20 is an odd number but isn't that technically touting!?

I think it's a fair price because otherwise, those buying a single matchday ticket would be paying £18 which is a lot more.

Nothing wrong with selling individual tickets well below that price at £10 in my opinion.

Shoreham Beach Seagull

May 6, 2009
Shoreham Beach
Regardless of the price system at Falmer/AMEX (coming round to understanding the prices for these now) I think that not having U21 for the Pompey home game at Withdean which I currently have an U21 season ticket for seems like a stupid move from the club. They shouldn't have too different price systems for the same ground just because it is a cup game (U21 are still avaliable to buy for League games at Withdean)

Kuipers Supporters Club

Feb 10, 2009
GOSBTS
When you turn 18 in the eyes of the law you become an adult. You should have to pay adult prices!

Is there a special 18-21 price at the cinema? Or on the train/bus? Do you get cheaper booze in bars?

If you were to put in a special price for 18-21 then as soon as someone turns 22 they are going to be moaning! Where do you draw the line.

The club for once have done something sensible with the ticket prices yet still people find something to moan about.

But there ARE reduced prices on Public Transport for Students (and even a Young Persons Railcard)

There are reduced prices for lots of events for Students and Young People. Including the Majority of other football clubs.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
It's a shame because the U21 season ticket was what really got me into the Albion. Before then I had only gone to a few games but now I've had a season ticket for the past three years and go to away games, Although I go to Southampton university, I would have got a season ticket (along with others I know) at anything around the £250 mark but won't be able to afford the AMEX prices..[/QUOTE

In your situation then, I'd stop going to away games and use the money I'd saved to buy a season ticket for the fantastic new stadium on my doorstep. The U-21 ticket was a bonus, not a right. When I was at university in Birmingham, I'd go to watch Villa/Blues/West Brom/Walsall when I could afford it. Which wasn't all the time, but that's life sadly.

manilaseagull

Used to be Swindonseagull
But there ARE reduced prices on Public Transport for Students (and even a Young Persons Railcard)

There are reduced prices for lots of events for Students and Young People. Including the Majority of other football clubs.

you are welcome to support another club. Brighton and Hove Albion have stated their prices, if you dont like them.......please stop moaning and piss off.

Seasider78

Nov 14, 2004
Reading this you would think people only have financial restrictions between the ages of 18-21. There are plenty of Albion fans over this age who due to circumstances cannot afford match tickets let alone contemplate a season ticket. Attending the football is a luxury and sometimes your commitments in life (university, mortgage, children etc) dictate that you cannot afford these things. That's life and impacts all age groups.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here