Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is the 18-21 Age Bracket Really That Important?

We're the Stripes

Jul 31, 2005
BN2
Copied from the Q&A featuring Ken Brown and Martin Perry a couple of weeks ago...

We will look at match specific promotions for the new season
Nice to know. Cheers, TLO.

seagullrich

Dec 16, 2010
but a football fan will always support their club given the chance

Exactly - Given the chance.

There's a good group of fans 18-21 who have been supporting and attending for years on the understanding that the club will help them keep attending through the 18-21 period - when they will be student, and will thus have limited means to pay for a ticket.

These are the fans that have supported the club for years and will do for years to come - rightly paying for a full adult ticket when they can afford it.

We've all waited years for the Amex (all age groups), its a real shame some wont be able to enjoy it!

Westdene Seagull

aka Cap'n Carl Firecrotch
NSC Patron
Oct 27, 2003
The arse end of Hangleton
Hold fast there. Getting a job isn't much? for every job in this city there are 4 unemployed people. Students are at a disadvantage because we don't have experience. Speaking from experience it can take over a year before you get one. Sometimes more. Just a point. Of course I agree with the sentiment, you should earn but saying its not much is a little unfair.

Fair point and I didn't mean to make it sound so easy to get a job. I guess I was basing it on when I was in further education and I found it easy to pick up waiting and bar work through out a variety of Brighton and Hove hotels.

clippedgull

Hotdogs, extra onions
Aug 11, 2003
Near Ducks, Geese, and Seagulls

There's a good group of fans 18-21 who have been supporting and attending for years on the understanding that the club will help them keep attending through the 18-21 period - when they will be student, and will thus have limited means to pay for a ticket.

These are the fans that have supported the club for years and will do for years to come - rightly paying for a full adult ticket when they can afford it.

We've all waited years for the Amex (all age groups), its a real shame some wont be able to enjoy it!

I empathise but don't sympathise with your predicament. I don't think there will be many, if any 18-21 fans that won't find the money to be a STH at Falmer. we all have things that we could cut back on if we really wanted something that badly!

I will give you an example, me! I have bought a 1901 ticket in the West Stand. In return in being able to afford it, I will have no foreign holidays for the next five years (contract period) on current income levels. In fact if my current income level is cut then I will have to cut back further on other 'luxuries'. So, where there is a will, there is a way!

The fundamental question is do we want a full amex or a half empty one.

Everyone agrees that most under 21's and/or students have a lower disposable income than others (as do under 16's and over 60's) So why not give them the opportunity to have a season ticket at a price within their means. Get a good group of young people to the games, they will go on attending and buy a full price ticket in due course - simple.

Couldnt agree with Seagull_10 more on this issue.

Quite simply if they dont provide discounted under-21 season tickets at the Amex I wont be able to afford a season ticket. One less fan at every game.

What would you say would be a reasonable price for an U21 season ticket for a Zone A seat at Falmer?

seagull_10

May 12, 2009
I empathise but don't sympathise with your predicament. I don't think there will be many, if any 18-21 fans that won't find the money to be a STH at Falmer. we all have things that we could cut back on if we really wanted something that badly!

I will give you an example, me! I have bought a 1901 ticket in the West Stand. In return in being able to afford it, I will have no foreign holidays for the next five years (contract period) on current income levels. In fact if my current income level is cut then I will have to cut back further on other 'luxuries'. So, where there is a will, there is a way!

But you had the option of paying less money and still being a STH. The 18-21 age group aren't being given that choice - an increase of 300% on season ticket prices is a massive rise and we either have to pay it or stop going to games. I understand that everyone has the choice of what they spend their money on. The frustration is that I have had a season ticket every season we've been at the Withdean, but I will not be able to afford a Falmer season ticket despite the stadium being three times the size of the Withdean.

Tough. We had to pay adult prices when we were adults (no student rates for me) and the cost of supporting the Albion DOUBLED overnight

HG201

Proud Ruffian
Jul 16, 2008
Birmingham
Quite important to me! No the lack of student prices won't stop me going, but its very annoying! Especially as my season ticket price is more than doubling next year as a result of it!

seagull_10

May 12, 2009
Tough. We had to pay adult prices when we were adults (no student rates for me) and the cost of supporting the Albion DOUBLED overnight

That's illogical. How does the unfairness of one price rise mitigate other unfair price rises? And it doesn't deal with the fact that it is only the 18-21 price bracket that has had these massive price increases.

It's unreasonable to raise ticket prices for a group of fans by 300%. A reasonable ticket pricing policy would have the u-21 prices vary in direct proportion to all other ticketing groups.

OK then so what would you consider a reasonable price for an U21 season ticket in Zone A Falmer?

seagull_10

May 12, 2009
OK then so what would you consider a reasonable price for an U21 season ticket in Zone A Falmer?

Adult ticket in South Stand centre (2010/2011) = 425
U21 ticket in South Stand centre (2010/2011) = 144

Adult ticket for Zone A at Falmer = 395
U21 ticket for Zone A at Falmer should be 139

That's applying the same proportion.

Adult ticket in South Stand centre (2010/2011) = 425
U21 ticket in South Stand centre (2010/2011) = 144

Adult ticket for Zone A at Falmer = 395
U21 ticket for Zone A at Falmer should be 139

That's applying the same proportion.

Well the club aren't applying the same proportions as you! The cost of an U18 season ticket in Zone A is £197.50, is that price affordable for you?

seagull_10

May 12, 2009
Well the club aren't applying the same proportions as you! The cost of an U18 season ticket in Zone A is £197.50, is that price affordable for you?

You asked for an exact price and I don't have the time to do a full analysis of pricing. But, if we compare the U16 price in South Stand Centre at the Withdean to the U18 price in Zone A, the increase is £118 to £197.50 (67%) ... an U21 ticket would be £240. That is still a reasonable price rise.

seagullrich

Dec 16, 2010
You asked for an exact price and I don't have the time to do a full analysis of pricing. But, if we compare the U16 price in South Stand Centre at the Withdean to the U18 price in Zone A, the increase is £118 to £197.50 (67%) ... an U21 ticket would be £240. That is still a reasonable price rise.

I'd be happy with £240 - everyone paying the same proportionate rise

seagull_10

May 12, 2009
Sorry but that's the price. if you don't want to pay, then don't. Find something else to do with your saurday afternoons

Would you say the same if your season ticket price had gone up by 300%? If you disagree with a 18-21 ticket price, you can make your argument but you're basically just writing the whole issue off because it doesn't affect you. The price rise is unfair and short-sighted. To simply say "that's the price" is ridiculous because prices can be reasonable or unreasonable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here