Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is that it then?

Are we done for the day?

• Total voters

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
CMS will not be back to full strength before the season ends, who knows if he ever will be back to his best - his best being pretty poor by championship standards.
Hoskins will probably be injured a week after he comes back, its just the luck the guy seems to have.
Buckley hasn't been good this season at all, and after another long hamstring injury, it wont be until late in the season that he gets back to full match fitness.

Hardly like we are making 3 new signings is it?

I disagree about CMS. 11 in 29 is none too shabby.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Think this is the problem with modern society. NOW NOW NOW. Let's not think of the future, let's get there NOW. Everyone else is ignoring FFP, let's ignore it too.

Disagree. We've had a level playing field for a fair few seasons now. We've got 25,000 ST pigs (myself included) who eat pies and drinks pints like they're going out of fashion. Our media facilities are such that we get WAY more than our fair share of televised matches. This level of interest in The Chamionship cannot be sustained IMHO, it can only tail off. JCLs are going to be expecting the Premier League PDQ else they'll be burning their Albion lanyards and going back to Twickers.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer
It maybe all there is, other than TB plays a good hand of poker. There is never anything coming out of Amex Offices it's like feckin MI5 in there. But until TB's 'folded' don't give up. :smile:

But a bit gutted we lost Conway ! :down:

The_Viper

Oct 10, 2010
Charlotte, NC
BHA earnings (Reported)
3ish for Bridders
1ish for Barnes
250k for the FA Cup game
say 250/300k for AEA

Spent
500-700k on Stephens

Are we that turning a profit that poorly that we have to use over 3.5 million just to stay afloat
Edit - By afloat, I mean being able to pass through the FFP requirements, not survive as a club :smile:
? If so then wtf are we doing wrong? Because pretty much EVERY other club in the Championship have something to spend and that's without the money we've made this month.

Either Burke is playing a poker face as good as TB, the club are in serious financial trouble that we don't know about or TB has told OG that this season is as good as over, do as well as he can and he'll give him all the support he needs in the close season. I hope it's the first or third, because surely someone would know about the middle one. Let's just hope the lack of immediate ambition doesn't scare people like Leo, Kaz, Koosh and co. off, because if so we're ****ed. IMO of course.

D

Deleted member 22389

Think this is the problem with modern society. NOW NOW NOW. Let's not think of the future, let's get there NOW. Everyone else is ignoring FFP, let's ignore it too.

No. The teams who adhere to the rules and improve within their means year on year are going to be more successful in the long term, but even if they aren't I'd much rather support a club that's doing things the right way.

Same here.

jamie the seagull

Jul 27, 2011
"Rumours in the North East that Gus will return to Brighton for 1 or 2 more".
This has been reported over the last 2 hours on the Radio when they were speaking to their North East Correspondent about Transfer dealings still due today.

Other threads have mentioned that as we cannot get a replacement for Buckley he will not be allowed to go so that may stall that one.
Sunderland clearly need a goalscorer but they signed one yesterday as Ulloa was the other obvious choice.

Just reporting for those that do not have the chance to listen to what is reported.

TSB

Captain Hindsight
Jul 7, 2003
Lansdowne Place, Hove
Next in line = Richards or, more likely, Calde at CB (not enough if we are serious about promotion). Wild card = Ince dropping back. A bit 'cheap' by the Albion IMHO.

Richards is a DM, isn't he? I've only seen him play there.

stss30

Apr 24, 2008
I think you'll find that after years of total shit, losing the Goldstone, Gillingham, Withdean etc the taste of success has made most want more and why not we have not exactly been the blessed supporters over the last 30 years.

Patience is probably whats required but **** it I'm impatient I want Premiership football I just cant help myself :drool:

So you think we should spend loads on mercenary players with huge wages to get us promoted? There's no point. We need investment in infrastructure first, then when/if we reach the Premiership we might have a shot at staying there (see Southampton)

soistes

Sep 12, 2012
Brighton
They are, but has he not spent the majority of his career in the 2nd tier? Regardless, this window is still a shoddy showing from the club if that really is it.

OK, you may be right - not sure of his background (given that, like most people, I'd never heard of him before). Having said that, I agree with your main point that we seem to have lost more than we've gained in recent transfer activity.

B.W.

Jul 5, 2003
Wasn't Conway initially brought in to replace Orlandi, who was, at the time, injured? I might be mistaken, but if that IS the case, then that's OK, as Orlandi is back.

I wouldn't be too disappointed, if that was that. Dunk is more than capable to cover the CBs, and I get the feeling that Oscar will be working over the weeks and months to get more of the development squad involved with the first team. No, it might not be the squad that gets us to the Premier League, but them I'm not overly concerned about that anyway…

There is also the loan window too.

To be fair, you are right about the 'Conway in to cover Orlandi' bit. However, we should be looking to strengthen, not go backwards. Additionally, you need 4, not 3, CB's you can call on due to likely suspensions / injuries. The club appear to be sending out a message that we are only going to make a half-hearted attempt at the play-offs. I find that VERY disappointing.

Sam Ovett

The New Manager Bus
Disagree. We've had a level playing field for a fair few seasons now. We've got 25,000 ST pigs (myself included) who eat pies and drinks pints like they're going out of fashion. Our media facilities are such that we get WAY more than our fair share of televised matches. This level of interest in The Chamionship cannot be sustained IMHO, it can only tail off. JCLs are going to be expecting the Premier League PDQ else they'll be burning their Albion lanyards and going back to Twickers.

This is our third season in the Championship...we've got new backroom staff in to set up their way of running things. Yes there may be fickle fans but if we go up to the Prem the right way they'll probably come flooding back (look at Palace). I don't want us to risk screwing up big time financially (Palace, Pompey, Leeds etc.) for one or two seasons of getting thrashed in the Premier league.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
To be honest I just find it more than a bit bollocks that we apparently have money to splurge on training grounds, hotels, every damn thing apart from an investment of cash on the playing side to see us at least have one season in the sun in the Premier League anytime soon. I mean, look at half the teams currently in the Premier League. we used to play them, and beat them, regularly in League One & The Championship. What's so special about them? Doesn't the club owe a duty of care to the Withdean Five Thousand to be promoted at some point in the near future. Cos the Twickers-like JCL fans won't be hanging around for very long in the lower leagues. We might well win an Accountants Of The Year award for the off-field FFP efforts, but really, when all the clubs around you are ignoring FFP, who really gives a shit? time for the club to refocus their eye on the ball on the playing side. IMHO, like.

Ridiculous post. "Duty of care"!!!!

D

Deleted member 22389

BHA earnings (Reported)
3ish for Bridders
1ish for Barnes
250k for the FA Cup game
say 250/300k for AEA

Spent
500-700k on Stephens

Are we that turning a profit that poorly that we have to use over 3.5 million just to stay afloat
Edit - By afloat, I mean being able to pass through the FFP requirements, not survive as a club :smile:
? If so then wtf are we doing wrong? Because pretty much EVERY other club in the Championship have something to spend and that's without the money we've made this month.

Either Burke is playing a poker face as good as TB, the club are in serious financial trouble that we don't know about or TB has told OG that this season is as good as over, do as well as he can and he'll give him all the support he needs in the close season. I hope it's the first or third, because surely someone would know about the middle one. Let's just hope the lack of immediate ambition doesn't scare people like Leo, Kaz, Koosh and co. off, because if so we're ****ed. IMO of course.

Every other club? May be we should find a list of all transfers for the Championship. It would be interesting. I think we have done quite well to other clubs. I might be wrong. Where can we get hold of a list.

fat old seagull

Sep 8, 2005
Rural Ringmer

Well thanks to my being totally distracted by todays transfer business and NSC. I will not be eating my pie today....I have just (through a smoke screen) extracted what resembles a Pregnant Pontefract Cake from the oven....and the feckin chippies closed too:shootself

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton

No. The teams who adhere to the rules and improve within their means year on year are going to be more successful in the long term, but even if they aren't I'd much rather support a club that's doing things the right way.

This x 1000.

Withdean11

Feb 18, 2007
Brighton/Hyde
Hope not. We should be looking at having a stronger squad than we started the window with.

IMO, we still need;

A wide goal scorer - to play the role that Buckley has failed at, and link up with Ulloa to stop him being so isolated.

An attacking midfielder - A creative man in the hole. We needed one of those before the window, Stephens is a crofts replacement.

Defensive cover - replacement for El-Abd

the first 2 should be seen as starting players and would of course cost money. But considering we spent next to nothing in the summer, and again in this window, and the fact we gained £4m, there is no reason that funds shouldnt be available.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here