Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is stadium expansion under jeopardy

Although the transport issues would clearly be a material consideration in any planning application for expansion I do not believe the clubs capacity or ability to deal with issues inside the stadium i.e. the catering experience would be considered as factors within the meaning of planning legislation.

So why isn't it then ?
I think the main reason is that it's only quite recently that the number of people being dropped off / picked up on the A27 has risen to the point at which serious delays are being caused to buses and coaches (and other traffic). Now the problem has been identified, it needs to be dealt with, in the interests of those supporters who are being delayed by the illegal stoppers and waiters.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Simple to stop though just need a couple of vehicle recognition CCTV camera and three points and a big fine will soon stop the twats.

Added bonus will be cash from the fines to cover the additional admin and other costs.

Goldstone Rapper

Rediffusion PlayerofYear
Jan 19, 2009
BN3 7DE
Although the transport issues would clearly be a material consideration in any planning application for expansion I do not believe the clubs capacity or ability to deal with issues inside the stadium i.e. the catering experience would be considered as factors within the meaning of planning legislation.

Of course it wouldn't, you are right. However, it wouldn't need to be for it to be a factor.

Sorry for brief answer. I might expand on it later (I've gotta start work now!)

Last edited:

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
The easy way to stop people stopping on the a27 to pick people up is to monitor it for a couple of weeks with cctv and then send NIPs in the post to the offenders. They won't do it again!

Kalimantan Gull

Aug 13, 2003
Central Borneo / the Lizard
I think it would gain the support of one (slightly weird, if you don't mind me saying) person. You.

I would have to disagree. If you told existing season ticket holders that expansion of the Amex would lead to increased train/bus queueing time, increased time to exit Bennetts Field after a game and longer queues for the catering and toilets, do you really think they would ALL agree to support the expansion?

The latter points about catering and loos may not be true, but it seems unarguable that transport waiting times would increase. Enough people moan about these already that its easy to imagine complaints about adding another 8,000 people to the queues.

Me, I want it because I see a bigger picture. But there must be NIMBY's inside the stadium as well as in Falmer.

Lincoln Imp

Feb 2, 2009
Cars waiting / stopping on the A27 is already illegal. The whole of the A27 is a Clearway - as is the A270 from the bypass junction all the way down Lewes Road as far as Natal Road. If it's a problem, enforcement action can be taken against drivers who stop.

I know it's illegal to stop on a clearway to let people out but if a car is already stationary in a traffic jam is it illegal for passengers to leave it? I can't imagine so.

disgruntled h blocker

Oct 16, 2003
Ampfield
The easy way to stop people stopping on the a27 to pick people up is to monitor it for a couple of weeks with cctv and then send NIPs in the post to the offenders. They won't do it again!

Feb 24, 2011
Upper Bevendean
I have noticed that a lot of those that pull over on the side of the A27 are taxi drivers. But Friday there was a fair few private cars parked up at the bus stop by the uni tunnel. There will be a major accident there soon, and that could have a detrimental effect on expansion.

Gus is god

Banned
Sep 9, 2011
People moaning about expansions they need to remember where we were a season ago. Every bloody ground ya go to ya have to que for a beer a piss. Its a pain but one of them things.

The train to system is not great but its not horrific either. Friday was a freak. I remember going to a game in London a had to que for 1hr 30mins for the tube. There are problems at every ground.

Really can't believe a stance in this thread mind blowing.

seagulls

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
The catering queues and their effect on stadium expansion is not something the council would have any interest in.

However, back to the OP's post - it's along similar lines to conversations I've had with my councillor. The City Council wants the transport issues sorted out much better than they are now, and wants a clear sustainable plan delivered before any planning application for capacity increase is approved.

As an answer to the question of whether stadium expansion is in jeopardy, the club and the council officers will have plenty of meetings in order to come to a mutually acceptable plan before the application goes before the planning committee.

shaun_rc

Feb 24, 2008
Brighton
I would also like to see that the amazing attendances at the moment are not a flash in the pan before expansion. We have a new stadium, team are doing brilliantly, but when everything settles down in a couple of years time, I don't want to be watching games in a half empty ground. Expansion might be a good idea - and would be necessary if we did go up, but average Championship attendances would suggest to me the stadium might also be around the right size if we don't.

brightn'ove

cringe
Apr 12, 2011
London
I would have to disagree. If you told existing season ticket holders that expansion of the Amex would lead to increased train/bus queueing time, increased time to exit Bennetts Field after a game and longer queues for the catering and toilets, do you really think they would ALL agree to support the expansion?

The latter points about catering and loos may not be true, but it seems unarguable that transport waiting times would increase. Enough people moan about these already that its easy to imagine complaints about adding another 8,000 people to the queues.

Me, I want it because I see a bigger picture. But there must be NIMBY's inside the stadium as well as in Falmer.

Does it matter that the majority of seats gained from expansion would be served by a new concourse in the east upper? Filling in the corners would also allow for another bar to be installed, where previously there was a divisonal wall, so I'm sure any additional seats would be accompanied by additional catering facilities.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM

So, in increasing the capacity by 33%, do you honestly believe they wouldn't put any additional facilities in?

mcshane in the 79th

Nov 4, 2005
Would supply of alcohol and pies be an issue? Are Harveys and Piglet' Pantry working at full capacity if we are running out on regular occassion, or is it just an ordering issue?

meanmachine25

Jan 24, 2009
Yes, because many Albion fans would be against expansion and would be prepared to lobby their local councillors if it was in the pipeline.

The transport system and catering staff are barely coping with the current number of people they have to deal with. Expansion now, without getting the house in order first, would make things far worse. it may add an extra 10 minutes to your 20 minute wait for a pie and drink, or an extra half-hour to your waiting time at the train station.

Right now, if expansion was on the agenda. it would be very easy to mobilise support behind a campaign saying we need a better Amex stadium, not a bigger Amex stadium.

some people have very short memories !!!!!!!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here