Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is sky REALLY worth it??????

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I pay 75 pounds a month, whats that all about ?.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
We pay £41 a month for the basic package + Sky Sports and movies.

There isn't any cable here so there isn't an alternative.
We were paying £80 a month for NTL back in Huddersfield including the phone line and 500Mhz broadband.

Marshy

Jul 6, 2003
FRUIT OF THE BLOOM
Cancelled mine last week. £42 a month... !

If there are any big games i want to see i go and watch it round a mates now.

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
I happily pay my 41 pound a month and enjopy the freedom of being able to watch what I want. I watch alot of sport a few movies and as far as I am concerned I am happy with the service I get.

I figure that 40 quid amonth saves me a fortune as if I didn't have it I would be down the pub watching footie and spending money on beer which would come to a lot more than 40 a month.

I've just ordered sky+ so I can pick and choose what I watch and when.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Good things about Sky Sports:

Jeff Stelling on Gillette Soccer Saturday :clap: :clap: :clap:
Best football frontman on TV by a mile.

Bad things on Sky Sports:

Goals on Sunday: the title would appear to indicate it's a goals programme, but no chance. Instead we get 45 minutes of Chris Kamara and Rob "World's largest face" McCaffery splitting their sides laughing while Gary Mabbutt or some other washed up ex pro relates unfunny anecdotes about dressing room pranks of their time. Then maybe a goal from the Liverpool game, followed by another 20 minutes of Kamara trying to get every yellow card ever issued rescinded.

Every week, the same....

CK: "Someone's just got to look at this, I mean players are getting sent off all over the place for kicking each other. SOmething has got to be done, it's ridiculous. Fans don't want to see ten versus eleven every week, it spoils the game. I implore you, Mr Poll/Rennie/Halsey/Whoever: look at this again and let's get xxxxx's card cancelled"

Two things Chris: (1) players get sent off mostly because they break the rules. That's the rules- if you hack someone down when they're clean through on goal, it's a red card. Yes it's a penalty as well, but tough shit, that's how it works, get over it. And (2) actually there's nothing passionate fans like to see MORE than players being sent off on the opposing side, so cut the crap about wanting to see 11 on the pitch. When 2 Leeds players got red carded last week, I didn't hear many people at Withdean shouting "oh no ref, don't spoil the game! Keep them on!". No, we cheered and laughed our arses off at Leeds's stupidity. Get a grip, Lionel, we're not all dispassionate, over-paid, sofa dwelling pundits like you, and when someone like Robbie Savage is forced to march bitterly to the dressing room for some minor misdemeanor, there's nothing we like more.

Other crap things about Sky Sports: George Best (rambling old lech, rubbish summariser, only there because he's a big name), and Rodney Marsh, who can't stand being off camera for more than 30 seconds, and consequently feels the need to scream "OOOOOOHHHHHH! OH MY GOD, I CAN'T BELIEVE IT!" like a Tourette's sufferer in order to draw the attention of Jeff Stelling.

JS: "looks like something exciting's happening at White Hart Lane, so let's cross to Rodney"

RM: "OHHHHH! WHAT A....WELL I JUST CAN'T BELIEVE IT! Well Jeff, the ball just bounced gently off Ledley King's shins, and...I think it's a throw in to Bolton just inside the Spurs half"

JS: "er, thanks for that Rodney".

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
Sky is a rip off. All you are doing is lining the pockets of rich footballers.

I have 4 channels at home and that is more than enough. If there is a big game on then I will go to the pub and watch it.

I tend to find more constructive things to do with my time and money like makeing beer and wine ;)

:drink:

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Sky Sports is great, footy, cricket, car racing and then theres the Extreme channel...quality :clap2:

Behind Enemy Lines

Jul 18, 2003
London
I've cancelled Sky ( too expensive) and have got Freeview instead. I get Sky sports news so you get Jeff Stelling's excellent results programmes; Match of the Day on Saturday and Sunday' nights, The Championship on Sunday mornings, England home games on the BBC plus European matches on ITV, Channel 5 and ITV2. That is more than enough. If there's a game I want to watch on Sky I go to the pub or round a mates. The truth is there is now far too much football on TV and the Premiership on Sky is massively over-hyped and over-rated.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
Too much darts and American pool on Sky Sports as well.

Sports, my arse.

Spiros

Jul 9, 2003
Too far from the sun
The only reason I've even got a satellite dish is for sky sports. OK it is pricey, but if I needed to tighten the financial belt, it would be one of the first things to go. The rest of the stuff on satellite really is poor - apart from the sport I only ever seem to watch BBC1 or 2, or ITV/C4/C5.

Lammy

Registered Abuser
Oct 1, 2003
Newhaven/Lewes/Atlanta
I'd love to get free view to be honest if for nothing else the picture and sound quality would be better.

However, I can't as the BBC haven't got free view in Newhaven yet although they still want me to pay the same TV licence fee as everone else!! Even though I cannot see half the channels I'm paying for! It's like paying for sky and not being able to view the same channels as everyone else! grrrrrrrrrrr

That is a seperate rant altogether though...

Minghawk

Jul 5, 2003
absolutley spot on Edna -
couldn't agree with you more.

Having said that we still have Sky
(all channels except movies & disney).

We're thinking of cancelling it, as it still comes out to about
£380 a year - enough for a long weekend in Paris!

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
Sky is expensive, but I'm still prepared to pay.

However, I think they are taking the piss by downgrading the quality of movies on their main movies channels in order to get you to pay for Box Office ones.

I've also noticed the quality of output on Men & Motors has declined, probably for the same reason as above...

Last edited:

tinx

Jul 6, 2003
Horsham Town
My missus would freak if I got rid of sky, she wouldn't be able to watch Most haunted/Friends/ Will and Grace etc etc etc all the time.

Trish

Jul 5, 2003
Thanks, Edna. I've never had Sky but I do like the idea of watching the occasional Premiership match instead of listening to Alan Green on Five Live. Having read your post, I won't bother getting it installed - I'll go to more Albion away games instead. :clap: :clap:

Hannibal smith

Jul 7, 2003
Kenilworth
Is Sky worth it? If you are single and like Premiership & Champions League football then yes.

If you are co-habiting then the problem is the vast choice. I hate Friends, Sex and the City, Soaps etc etc (which are on 24 hours a day). My partner doesn't mind football but if I was to suggest this evening 'Oh look Man City V Norwich' her reaction would be 'Forget it, its Champions league tomorrow and Wednesday and 2 X episodes of Coronation Street tonight' That means I don't have much choice otherwise I can charged with being selfish and only ever watching 'what you want to watch' Which If I had my way would of course be true.

When she's out, I only ever watch Sky Sports which for Golf, Cricket and Football is first class. Edna though is right. Some of the tossers they employ on sports Saturday need to be heard to be believed (Agreed Rodney Marsh : Twat). They also have the Sunday Supplement? on a Sunday which is headed up by Jimmy Hill and 4 people sit around talking about the papers. It is the worst thing I have ever watched in my life, including Coronation street. Soccer a.m is good on a Saturday but is starting to become a bit thin. Sports is also quite good for perving over Aerobics

Premiership plus is a waste of time where you can subscribe for £50 for a season ticket. As all games are on a Saturday I have so far seen 1 game and most are not top draw anyway.

The movies are poor - they only show about 20 films a week but 100 times over and they never show any classics. I have Sky movies but probably watch more films on terrestrial - When I get round to it I will be cancelling my subscription for this.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here