Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is rock/pop music dying?

DIFFBROOK

Really Up the Junction
Feb 3, 2005
Yorkshire
Possibly true. I think that may also reflect todays youth disaffection with Politics in general. Its not all rosy out there, witness the reliance on soup kitchens, high youth unemployment, bedroom taxes, illegal wars, phone hacking etc. Where is todays rebellious youth??

I heard a good explanation for this. Billy Bragg suggested that music often reflects, and is written about, what is going on in society. He wrote about the miners strike, it inspired him. As there is less activism these days this is reflected in less songs about politics. A fair point I think.

spring hall convert

Nov 3, 2009
Brighton
What I will say is that, I dont think bands make as political statement as they did. Surely, there are injustices in our society that gets the songwriter of today angry enough to write about. I'm thinking of a modern day Weller, or Strummer.

I agree with you here. I guess in the late 70's it was a bit easier - you were either a communist or a fascist, or at least there was a distinct difference between blue and red and it genuinely effected young people's lives. Nowadays there's no difference in the eyes of the young, they're all lying, greedy, self serving scum.

This is the closest I've found to something telling it how it is recently - acquired taste (especially the language) but he definitely has that anger you speak of...

http://sleafordmods.bandcamp.com/album/austerity-dogs

Have a listen to the track "Wage Don't Fit." You'll probably hate it.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
I agree with you here. I guess in the late 70's it was a bit easier - you were either a communist or a fascist, or at least there was a distinct difference between blue and red and it genuinely effected young people's lives. Nowadays there's no difference in the eyes of the young, they're all lying, greedy, self serving scum.

This is the closest I've found to something telling it how it is recently - acquired taste (especially the language) but he definitely has that anger you speak of...

http://sleafordmods.bandcamp.com/album/austerity-dogs

Have a listen to the track "Wage Don't Fit." You'll probably hate it.

Based on your recommendation in another thread My mate and I are going to see them at The Albert in April. Not totally sure what to expect!

Smithy

Apr 26, 2009
Hove
Mainstream culture has shifted meaning rock is now largely confined to the underground. Todays equivalents exist but you have to make a concerted effort to seek them out as they no longer appear in the mainstream media.

Ali_rrr

Feb 4, 2011
Utrecht, NL
Arctic Monkeys are the band people will talk about in years to come. Oasis and Blur had that in the 90s. Do feel it's wrong though when a band gets labelled 'the next' as it puts a stupid amount of pressure on them, not to mention ridiculous. There are some great bands out there, you just have to look for them as they don't get noticed as much as they should. Instead, people like Justin Bieber or One Direction are favourited due to looks and the style of music appeals to more than traditional rock.

CorgiRegisteredFriend

May 29, 2011
Boring By Sea
The Fall were founded in 1976 and are still playing today. To me they are legends, true lots of line up changes and its really all about M.E. Smith but I love em.

dangull

Feb 24, 2013
U2 have managed to stay popular for over 30 years. A big acomplishment in the music industry these days.

1234andcounting

Mar 31, 2008
There is always good music about, if you look for it. Whilst I bow to no-one in my admiration for the Elvis, Buddy Holly, Beatles, Dylan etc, they were the trailblazers and writing on a blank page. There were a lot of mediocrities to; who would go out and buy a boxed set retrospective of Freddie and The Dreamers today? It is harder for artists to shine as there is so much to compare them with. Elbow have established themselves, as have Arcade Fire, of bands who came to prominence in the last 10 years or so. I could see Tame Impala and Alabama Shakes doing likewise if they maintain the quality. St Vincent is the latest I have got into. Still, currently listening to Songs From The Big Chair, still sounds good.

Super Steve Earle

Feb 23, 2009
North of Brighton
Great thread. I can't imagine ever getting the same thrill from music that I did from a new Beatles or Stones single in the sixties. Although Abba and the BeeGees were close for me as they were so original in their time. I enjoyed the music of Tull, Floyd and Led Zep but Queen were closest in terms of anticipation. I think Take That probably are the band who are closest in spirit to the Beatles in terms of multi age group popularity. Steve Earle, the so called hard core troubador ticks the political comment box for me although hardly mainstream and can't wait to see Brad Paisley live at the 02 again in a couple of weeks, He brought a tear to my eye and a shiver down my spine of pleasure in 2011 when he played last time. Really looking forward to The Dixie Chicks too. But I'm of the generation that is happy and able to do nothing else when I listen to music and I hear the depth and colour of all the instruments etc. I can still get a buzz from new music like the wonderful lead off single by David Crosby off Croz, 'What's broken'. It's simple, but I also really like the new Mike Oldfield single Sailing sung by the Jagger/Tyler/Mercuryesque Luke Spiller. Sounds simple, but damned if I can play it! There's stuff out there, but it just isn't listened to by the same people at the same time anymore.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
But I'm of the generation that is happy and able to do nothing else when I listen to music and I hear the depth and colour of all the instruments etc.

Same here. I've just laid on my sofa and drifted off to the new wonderful Neneh Cherry album. Lovely way to spend 40 mins.

Blazing Apostle

Jul 30, 2011
Funnily enough discussing this very thing this morning with my 17 yr old daughter. Explaining that this is probably the worst time for music since late 60'S early 70's in that gap between Beatles and Glam Rock - there is nothing in my opinion in the last few years that will take the history of popular music forward at all - from skiffle to rock n roll through Beatles, psychedelia, into rock, glam rock, prog rock, soul, disco, punk new wave, 80's electro, rave, Brit Pop, r & b etc - love it or hate it there was always something new, some new way of communicating messages through music, constant evolution....now its all seems sooo stagnent. I am sure age has something to do with it but I still want to be moved, excited and challenged - I want to feels the artists passion and pain not their inertia, their souless laziness, their insular shallow fake emotions.....there I feel better now :)

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
The point is there is far more choice and genres than were around in the 50s, 60s and 70s. As some else pointed out, every generation has had it's dross but the cream rises to the top.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
Funnily enough discussing this very thing this morning with my 17 yr old daughter. Explaining that this is probably the worst time for music since late 60'S early 70's in that gap between Beatles and Glam Rock - there is nothing in my opinion in the last few years that will take the history of popular music forward at all - from skiffle to rock n roll through Beatles, psychedelia, into rock, glam rock, prog rock, soul, disco, punk new wave, 80's electro, rave, Brit Pop, r & b etc - love it or hate it there was always something new, some new way of communicating messages through music, constant evolution....now its all seems sooo stagnent. I am sure age has something to do with it but I still want to be moved, excited and challenged - I want to feels the artists passion and pain not their inertia, their souless laziness, their insular shallow fake emotions.....there I feel better now :)

There is SO much good stuff around. So much that is new and innovative. You are listening to the wrong things. Get yourself over to the albums thread for inspiration. And the live music one.

The Modfather

Dec 13, 2009
Ibiza to the Norfolk Broads
Music will never die but it will never produce artists as big as those in the 60's. There are too may distractions these days, internet, facebook/twitter, 100s of TV channels. In the 60's the youth only had music.

SouthCoastOwl

May 23, 2013
Vaux Sur Seine
Not in this country maybe. But Green Day's 'American Idiot' album and particularly the title track was deeply scathing of George W. Bush's regime and the damage that it did to his country's reputation in the world.

Totally agree but it was released a decade ago so hardly qualifies as "today's music".

Dowling93

Jun 22, 2009
Brighton
There are lots of good Rock/Metal bands out there at the moment you've just got to know where to look. Not a massive fan of Arctic Monkeys a bit too mainstream. Obviously I prefer them to shite like Bieber and One Direction but against other rock bands there are better out there!

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here