Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is our team better this season than it was last season?

Is our team better this season?

• Yes, it is.

Votes: 64 88.9%
  • No, it isn't.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • I have no informed opinion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is my first season, who is Alan Navarro?

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Essentially, Gus has to start trusting the players A LOT more. This is demonstrated in his persistence with Ashley Barnes as a left-winger to provide "defensive cover" for an England international left-back. We are still painfully cautious a lot of the time.

Surf's Up

Jul 17, 2011
Here
I said "No" because although the individual players are better, the team, IMO, isn't, not yet. I think it will become better towards the end of the season when Ulloa and Upson are fitter and if Gus is prepared to let them off the leash a bit.

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
To complete the Nsc bingo, we are suffering second season syndrome. Has that helped anyone fill their line?

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Essentially, Gus has to start trusting the players A LOT more. This is demonstrated in his persistence with Ashley Barnes as a left-winger to provide "defensive cover" for an England international left-back. We are still painfully cautious a lot of the time.

I agree, but results suggest we are a much better team with Barnes in it. Despite half a dozen players being better than him in theory, he makes something happen for us. Baffling.

The progression in our team is superb but there is work to be done, everyone can see that.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
We are a better team than last season but we are not as good a team as we should be considering our squad of players.

We are stronger in most areas so much so that last seasons strength of CB is now our biggest weakness

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton

Barnes was dropped when Bridge came back, for quite a few games. He earnt his place back via good performances, including goals.

T soprano

Oct 27, 2011
Posh end of Shoreham
6 wins out of our last 24 games , not very good is it I suppose you could argue that we've only lost 6 but when you look at that opening stat it does look a bit depressing

mooey

Mar 30, 2012
A question I was asked yesterday, and it got me thinking.

Obviously, the individuals are better. Kuszczak for Ankergren, Bruno for Calderon, Bridge for Painter, Hammond for Navarro, Orlandi for Noone... But is the TEAM better for these changes? Or were we a better team last season?

Thoughts, opinions, rebukes?

def o stronger this season maybe were lacking a bit of confidence this season i think being in a new stadium and the buzz round the amex + promotion made a massive impact on the team last season

SeagullSongs

And it's all gone quiet..
Oct 10, 2011
Southampton
On paper yes, but we've made loads almost 10 new signings since the end of last season:

Kuszczak
Bruno
Hammond
Crofts
Bridge
Lopez
Ulloa
Upson
Orlandi

And the constant changes in line-up aren't helping them gel. I can be patient. When we click, we're f***ing amazing. If we can really click every week, there's no reason we can't be a mid-table Premier League side. But that's precisely why we're a Championship team, we just need some consistency.

Tony Meolas Loan Spell

Slut Faced Whores
Jul 15, 2004
Vamanos Pest
Yes. We should be talking now about who will JOIN us in PO not will we get there.

Dec 16, 2010
Over there
Personnel wise, we are much better. Compared to last season after 29 games we are worse.
2011-12
position 10th, won 13, drawn 6, lost 10, for 32 against 30.
Stating the bleedin obvious? we're drawing too many.

HastingsSeagull

Jan 13, 2010
BGC Manila
Individually yes
From a purely teamwork or style point of view similar but think Ulloa will help improve that. Just feel we need the right CM next to Bridcutt too in this sense to improve.

Over-all then clearly yes. Next season there's some shopping to do though for a LB, CM and CB. Think you always need to improve though. When we've bought those we'll clearly have a couple of other positions that suddenly become the weak links. Even Barca COULD improve in the odd area however un-realistic. For example their keeper couldn't be classed as the very best in the world.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here