Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is our team better this season than it was last season?

Is our team better this season?

• Yes, it is.

Votes: 64 88.9%
  • No, it isn't.

Votes: 7 9.7%
  • I have no informed opinion.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • This is my first season, who is Alan Navarro?

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
A question I was asked yesterday, and it got me thinking.

Obviously, the individuals are better. Kuszczak for Ankergren, Bruno for Calderon, Bridge for Painter, Hammond for Navarro, Orlandi for Noone... But is the TEAM better for these changes? Or were we a better team last season?

Thoughts, opinions, rebukes?

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
We control games far more than last season. However we had much more luck last season. If Ulloa clicks then he is the final piece of the jigsaw.

Ninja Elephant

Doctor Elephant
Feb 16, 2009
Interesting, [MENTION=12101]Mellotron[/MENTION], because I'm not sure we do control them better this season. I think the game have changed in style mainly through the players we have but also because of attitudes toward playing us. Teams really come here now to be tight, difficult and defensive and it has obviously worked.

But last season we were far more controlled by neccessity. Navarro wasn't overly attacking and his strength was doing the grunt work, so that's what he did alongside Bridcutt. He didn't get ideas above his station and he kept the shape in the team brilliantly. Calderon and Painter were more conservative than Bruno and Bridge have been, they both got forward plenty but were focused on not being caught out at the back with just as much importance.

I think our style needed to change with the improved players, but it hasn't. Bridge and Bruno seem to be doing the same type of job Calderon and Painter did, but they're much better players so can do a whole lot more. Hammond is a far better player than Navarro, but his role doesn't seem quite so defined, and perhaps that's been the problem for Crofts too? And have we missed Dicker not playing every game in midfield? The link between the screeners and the attackers.

One Love

Aug 22, 2011
Brighton
We control games far more than last season. However we had much more luck last season. If Ulloa clicks then he is the final piece of the jigsaw.

I agree up to a point. I don't think he is the final piece of the jigsaw.

We need some strong powerful players to win those difficult northern away games and we need to have more of a killer instinct so we don't let teams back into the game when we're on top.

Mellotron

I've asked for soup
Jul 2, 2008
Brighton
I agree up to a point. I don't think he is the final piece of the jigsaw.

We need some strong powerful players to win those difficult northern away games and we need to have more of a killer instinct so we don't let teams back into the game when we're on top.

Fair points. I was hoping Crofts would've had more of an impact in this regard.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I not so sure we are any better than last season. Some of the players are of better quality. I think we need to finish off sides when we are on top in a game, will have to see if the new signings make that little difference.

Lethargic

Oct 11, 2006
Horsham
Yes we have improved but we do not have the surprise factor that we had last year teams now know how we play and have a game plan which generally nullifies us, although most teams are not good enough to really beat us they can stop us playing our game hence the numerous draws. At the start of the season we had confidence in our own abilities and took games to teams this seem to have been lost recently and we rarely seem to want to attack team specifically at pace now we just want to nullify them nullifying us which gets very frustrating.
If we were to play without fear and take our game to the opposition I think we would see much better results.

Kazenga <3

Test 805843
Feb 28, 2010
Team c/r HQ
We had so many lucky and last minute wins last season- Doncaster, Portsmouth, Forest, Leicester, Peterborough, Leeds. This season seems to be evening it up- Bolton, Wolves, Birmingham, Hull, Leeds etc.

Last season we were very lucky in a lot of games where we weren't the better side.

This season seems to be on the contrary and we seem to be dominating sides but failing to take chances and then getting punished.

The team and performances are definitely improved this year. Even when we found ourselves 4th last year with 10 games to go I was struggling to work out how the hell we'd got up there as bar a few games we really weren't great.

Oscar

Nov 10, 2003
Yes it is. It just feels like we're in crisis because of the reaction of some on here every time we lose a game.

Neecha

Jul 10, 2012
London
A question I was asked yesterday, and it got me thinking.

Obviously, the individuals are better. Kuszczak for Ankergren, Bruno for Calderon, Bridge for Painter, Hammond for Navarro, Orlandi for Noone... But is the TEAM better for these changes? Or were we a better team last season?

Thoughts, opinions, rebukes?

We have less points but are higher in the league so if you judge it on this then no

El Sid

May 10, 2012
West Sussex
Maybe Mr Poyet needs to have more confidence and belief that he now has the players available, in the right setup, to overrun the poorer teams and to take the initiative against the better sides.
No point pissing about with 5 in midfield any more. They seem to be treading on each others toes.
Width and pace!

PILTDOWN MAN

NSC Patron
Sep 15, 2004
Hurst Green
Maybe Mr Poyet needs to have more confidence and belief that he now has the players available, in the right setup, to overrun the poorer teams and to take the initiative against the better sides.
No point pissing about with 5 in midfield any more. They seem to be treading on each others toes.
Width and pace!

This. I keep banging the same drum. We have an infinitely better squad this year but I'm not sure Poyet knows (not yet anyway) how to deploy them. We do not need 5 in midfield, especially when he's played three defensive ones together. Width, pace and quicker ball is the way forwards. Added to which when in a winning position not to change the dynamics. Too often we invite pressure at the end of the game due to the changes in personnel. If its working don't change it. Opposite to that how about starting an away game aggressively instead of keep packing the midfield. We have the players to do it, does Poyet have the mindset?

Baaaald

3rd time lucky
Aug 7, 2011
Haywards Heath
This team is better than last year. From front to back and in depth. the differences and reason we will fall short of the play offs are in my view are 1) the league is stronger this yr than last. 2) our finishing has been poor at key points in key games 3) we do have a lot of bad luck!

Jim Van Winkle

Jul 14, 2010
Hawaii
Here comes the football cliche . . . . . . .

This team is better on paper but paper teams win paper cups.

As others have already mentioned luck and tactics have been factors. We don't need two holding midfielders especially at home. We need two up top with two wingers and to really go at teams. Destroying them like a polystyrene cup in the hands of a 4 year old child.

P.S I vote "this is my first season who is Alan Navarro?".

kevtherev

Feb 28, 2008
Tunbridge Wells
With 8 games to go last season, it looked easier to finish in the play offs, than it did to finish outside them. Our run in last season was nothing short of awful. So going on the fact we were, 4th/5th with 8/7 games to play, I think you have your answer...We have gone backwards, despite all the new signings. The facts don't lie, although I 100% sure some will try and say they do.

Seasidesage

May 19, 2009
Brighton, United Kingdom
I prefer the evidence of my own eyes. We are significantly better than we were last season. Squad has depth that it didn't before, we have cover in most areas and real competition for most positions. We lacked a striker most of the season, capable of winning us the big games. Hopefully, that has been addressed. For me the division is better than last year in depth, if not outright quality, more decent teams, if not outstanding ones . We have had less luck and tossed away some points from good positions. But if we had made the the play offs last season, I would've had no confidence in our chances of winning them, as it stands now, I think we would have a chance, over 3 games of beating anyone in this division.

Will we? Who knows, I think it depends on how quickly Ulloa gets up to speed, but he certainly has the quality and if he can get used to the speed and physical aspects then we will be a match for most at this level.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the team is far superior.
I'm not entirely convinced Gus' managerial skills have improved by a similar percentage.

I'm still on The Bus but some of his decisions this season have caused me to remove my rosy specs.

FOOTSKI

Sep 30, 2010
Kent
Yes for sure.....but i did like Nav and i don't feel Hammond has been better. I also think that although Noone has made a good start at Cardiff his end result for us i.e crossing and passing did not match his speed and skill on the ball. I have loved the football this season and hope soon we will get the results.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
I think both the team and the squad are better. We are more resilient and more confident. It is not a science though so that does not mean we should have two more points say than last season. And Gus is a more experienced manager of course.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here