Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IS NSC representative of Albion fans?

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003
Whilst it could never claim to be 'the voice of the fans' If I wanted to know what Brighton fans felt about a certain issue or event this would be the first place I'd look. Obviously we're not a scientifically selected cross section of the Albion fanbase but there IS a good mix of 1901 club and Ruffian, STH and casual, new fan and old git. I would say that if you aggregate out the views and come to the conclusion that most people in NSC are in favour of something then it's a pretty good bet that the entire Albion fan base would also be broadly in favour. (I'm talking about football issues only here).

What sometimes appear to skew it is the same people often give their same opinion again and again and again which can sometimes lead observers to say that NSC is 'negative' whereas in fact it's just a case of empty barrels making the most noise

seagullsovergrimsby

#cpfctinpotclub
Aug 21, 2005
Crap Town
We also have "guest supporter" posters and visitors from other clubs , some other football message boards ban them or don't allow access.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
I think it is more representative than any other of the supporters groups, particularly the supporters club.

This.

NSC clearly does not speak for the majority of fans but I will suggest that it represents as good a cross section of supporters as you can find and could probably be exploited for sampling purposes.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
NSC is a great source of information and debate. It also allows people to air points which would not or could not be aired on radio forums.

Yes NSC can sail too close to the wind and it is open to being abused by some posters but all in all we'd miss it if we didn't have it.

Big up to Bozza and the mods.:thumbsup:

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
If you accept that Albion’s fanbase is 30k (about the number that went to Cardiff) then NSC is representative as there are more than 150 (0.5%) ‘active’ fans on the board. That’s about 100 times the range that professional opinion polling companies would use during an election (2000 in an electorate of about 40million) – and they can generally correctly predict the result right across the country.

So, if we are broadly happy or unhappy about something then you can safely assume that the rest are feeling the same way. Also, if you have a ‘shall we replace the manager’ poll the result would broadly represent the thinking of Albion fans. I would rely on a NSC poll far more than one conducted by The Argus, or even the club – as there are vested interests outside of the fanbase active there.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
i dont think its representitive at all, it baised towards those with the internet, those with strong opinions and exiles.

Last edited:

Questions

Habitual User
Oct 18, 2006
Worthing
Unhappy about something ......assume that the rest are feeling the same way..... Shall we replace the manager ..... represents the thinking of Albion fans. .

For Christs sake Jim, its one defeat.

Jim D

Jul 23, 2003
Worthing
i dont think its very representitive, it baised towards those with the internet, those with strong opinions and exiles.

If you use NSC to find out who will win the next election or what our foreign policy should be then I would agree. But we are generally all Albion fans on here and we have an opinion on our team. I think that makes us representative.

Dandyman

In London village.
Whilst it could never claim to be 'the voice of the fans' If I wanted to know what Brighton fans felt about a certain issue or event this would be the first place I'd look. Obviously we're not a scientifically selected cross section of the Albion fanbase but there IS a good mix of 1901 club and Ruffian, STH and casual, new fan and old git. I would say that if you aggregate out the views and come to the conclusion that most people in NSC are in favour of something then it's a pretty good bet that the entire Albion fan base would also be broadly in favour. (I'm talking about football issues only here).

Broadly agree with that.

At the risk of upsetting some people, in most situations there will be a vanguard and a larger number that come after them. There are a number of situations where NSC probably reflects that.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
i dont think its representitive at all, it baised towards those with the internet, those with strong opinions and exiles.

Can you enlighten me as to how a one-click NSC Internet poll will bias towards those with a strong opinion more than any other voluntary poll?

All polls have their nuances but I do not believe NSC polls drag out more opinionated people than any other similar methods.

You'd need to undertake random sampling to get the most accurate method though.

Last edited:

Tim Over Whelmed

NSC Patron
Jul 24, 2007
Arundel
How many of the active memebers post? I'm guessing about 300-400 regularly post? (Yes, guessing, so Bozza will now come up with the facts that blow this estimate out of the water ... doh!)

Lyndhurst 14

Jan 16, 2008
For Albion fans that no longer live in the UK I’d say it’s the first port of call followed closely by the club, the Argus and BBC sport sites. Yes, there are a lot of opinions about the club posing as facts and a lot of dead ends – but if you filter all that out there’s a lot of good stuff in there from the more reliable posters and a lot of inside information you just don’t get on the mainstream media. I’d really miss it if it disappeared.

Durlston

"You plonker, Rodney!"
NSC Patron
Jul 15, 2009
Haywards Heath
NSC is very addictive and a brilliant forum.

It covers every important issue of human life and a balanced view with some quality posters.

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
If you use NSC to find out who will win the next election or what our foreign policy should be then I would agree. But we are generally all Albion fans on here and we have an opinion on our team. I think that makes us representative.

representitive suggests it broadly matches the same demographic breakdown as those who are fans and or attend games. you think 100% of people going to games have internet and post on NSC? i dont.

Can you enlighten me ...

not really sure what you are on about, who mentioned a poll? to click on a poll you have to be online, on NSC, registered and interested enough to vote. yes, i think random sampling on the Bright highstreets might be more accurate.

I think it is fairly representative. A spread of posters. Obviously there will be a bais towards younger fans which will skew the numbers slightly but on the whole it seems to have every kind of fan from expats, to young teens, to older fans, adults, family men, women, etc etc.

women? can't they have their own section along the lines of childish rumblings??? Could be called offside and other mysteries explained to the modern women or something similar,i like to think i represent the silent minority:thumbsup:

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
It doesn't matter whether it is representative or not and without proper identification of users we will never know. At the end of the day, we'll never know if it's representative of fans and certainly should not be pretentious to think that it has a mandate to represent fans. Apart from the work it does for REMF, it is, afterall a just a forum.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here