Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

Sorrel

Jul 5, 2003
Back in East Sussex
I have been thinking about this issue a bit more and I can understand the anger of some of the protestors.

Where a statue is someone who owned slaves themselves and yet appears to be celebrated by the British establishment without a mention of that part of their life (which probably - at the time - the person conducted in the same way we buy shares now, without really thinking much about it) then it does seem fair that part of their life be clearly acknowledged in public. Whether that means the statue has to be removed entirely is not always so clear cut IMO - if that was the case then Nelson would have to go, for example. But I can see that making the situation clear would be the morally correct thing to do.

I have less time for the arguments against those who "sins" were to be a descendant of slave owners - such as Gladstone and Peel. Peel, for example, supported abolition of slavery and Gladstone was very much the friend of the working class. I'm not sure an inherited sin outweighs the many positive things that both brought into society. Then we have those who are disliked because they were in the British army or navy between 1750 and 1950. I think the problem here is more based on the mostly fairly extreme left-wing opposition to anything to do with the British state.

Therefore a sensible government, who had the time to go over these issues (which I'm not sure the current one has) would try and separate the cases where the protestors have a point from those that are just SWP agitation and take action over monuments to people who were direct slave owners.

Surport Local Team

Jan 5, 2011
I have been thinking about this issue a bit more and I can understand the anger of some of the protestors.

Where a statue is someone who owned slaves themselves and yet appears to be celebrated by the British establishment without a mention of that part of their life (which probably - at the time - the person conducted in the same way we buy shares now, without really thinking much about it) then it does seem fair that part of their life be clearly acknowledged in public. Whether that means the statue has to be removed entirely is not always so clear cut IMO - if that was the case then Nelson would have to go, for example. But I can see that making the situation clear would be the morally correct thing to do.

I have less time for the arguments against those who "sins" were to be a descendant of slave owners - such as Gladstone and Peel. Peel, for example, supported abolition of slavery and Gladstone was very much the friend of the working class. I'm not sure an inherited sin outweighs the many positive things that both brought into society. Then we have those who are disliked because they were in the British army or navy between 1750 and 1950. I think the problem here is more based on the mostly fairly extreme left-wing opposition to anything to do with the British state.

Therefore a sensible government, who had the time to go over these issues (which I'm not sure the current one has) would try and separate the cases where the protestors have a point from those that are just SWP agitation and take action over monuments to people who were direct slave owners.

Well put

sparkie

Jul 17, 2003
Hove
The Antifa are now making noises about levelling the Coliseum and the Pyramids..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Ah, Antifa...

Churchill fought a war against the fascists, so he is an Antifa hero, right ?

So it is the ones who are against Antifa who want his statue down ?

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I picked the thread up at the point I commented, and I commented on what I saw, which strongly pointed towards you holding a view that being a Patriot was a pejorative term.
I feel that conflating Patriotism with some louts' behaviour is lazy at best. At the risk of sounding flip, the world is complex, and not neccessarily monochrome.

He wasn't. This all came from Das Reich claiming that people who gave nazi salutes (among other things) today are patrotic.

To be fair I think the other lad on this thread also missed the point.

Never mind.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Ah, Antifa...

Dimbots destroyed in a few wise words :bowdown:.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
In the interest of balance, I went back and looked at the unfolding narrative. To be fair, I'm still none the wiser, and admit that its just possible I got the wrong end of the stick. (big of me, eh?)

I have come to the conclusion that I'm better reading emotions on faces than screens. This will be my last comment of this type ever.

I should thank you for that.:lolol:

:bowdown:

:wink:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
So was there serviceman in that video?

I have no idea, you'd have to ask them. I'd suggest setting yourself up a nice little picnic in Hyde Park, they'll be along to break it up soon enough.

Springal

Feb 12, 2005
GOSBTS
82f4a29018741d59a23c67b745361deb.jpg

Patriots are here to take our country back (??) complete with piss soaked shorts

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Seems to be a very good adherence, by the usual suspects of 'socal distancing' towards todays events.

I find myself agreeing with you, that must be a first,if last weeks show of thuggish behaviour turned the stomach then this weeks loutish shenanigans really made me baulk, do these ****wits not fathom the lunacy of flashing Nazi salutes? And as for that piece of shit urinating on the memorial of the fallen police officer, just disgusting.
On a more positive note, it appears the veterans carried out their duties up and down the land with dignity in attempting to stand vigil the war memorials.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
It's so odd. I've often mentioned about being English and proud of it yet still not been arrested.

I guess they've got a few to get round.

When it happens, let me know. I'll get Amnesty International to fly Micky Flanagan out to tell jokes in Carnegie Hall about fingering a woman in a fish market to draw attention to your plight.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Ah, Antifa...

Armed antifa thugs head in to break up a peaceful gathering of fascists. June 6th 1944.

D-Day.jpg

pastafarian

Sep 4, 2011
Sussex
I find myself agreeing with you, that must be a first,if last weeks show of thuggish behaviour turned the stomach then this weeks loutish shenanigans really made me baulk, do these ****wits not fathom the lunacy of flashing Nazi salutes? And as for that piece of shit urinating on the memorial of the fallen police officer, just disgusting.
On a more positive note, it appears the veterans carried out their duties up and down the land with dignity in attempting to stand vigil the war memorials.

I have seen that photo. No excuse for pissing anywhere near the memorial plaque of PC Palmer at all full stop. But it doesnt look like he is pissing ON the memorial as some are screaming about and as a deliberate act either, looks more like a **** pissing next to it and completely unaware of what he is pissing near.
If you were going to piss on the memorial plaque as a deliberate act you wouldnt completely miss it entirely and slightly step to the right and piss in the corner

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Indeed. Which tells us how the ****wits who spend their thuggish time dining out on past glories should actually take a lesson from those who's dignity they profess to be protecting.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
mail 1.jpg

If only there was some kind of clue...

mail2.jpg

The level of weapons grade f**kwittery it must take to be stupid enough to fall for this shite, is in itself, quite impressive,

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here