Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is no statue safe?

Lenny Rider

Sep 15, 2010
Does Bomber Harris statue swim with the fishes yet? Long overdue IMHO

Why?

At the time his actions helped save this country from Nazi domination, had Hitler emerged victorious in 1945 no one would be allowed to protest about anything.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Well, I was only responding to your comments.
Your stereotype seems to be someone a little over interested in racial issues. To me you are the flip side of the same coin as the people you dislike. Just an observation and not meant in an insulting way.

How do you define 'over interested?' Who do I dislike?

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012
Hmm. She did have some strange practices. She let a lot of people die due to her belief that if they were ill it was God’s will. How accurate that is, I’m not sure. There is also reports of her not treating people unless they converted to Catholicism.

She certainly denied patients pain relief on the basis that there is virtue in suffering.

Who knows what the truth is but there is a lot of well documented controversy surrounding her practices .

When I wanted to join the scouts, as it looked like fun, my dad put his foot down firmly and said that no son of his was joining that fascist organisation. So, yes, his dodgy past was scarcely a secret.

You've not seen the Christopher Hitchens documentary "Hell's Angel" then?

I must say that I'm surprised to hear so many people say that the slave trade was something that wasn't taught at school. We learned all about it and we certainly didn't have some trendy lefty teacher - those of us who went to Varndean and were taught by the Mad Axeman will know exactly what I mean

As I said, I thought I was joking about Mother Teresa. I was blissfully aware of any of that! And as a professional Christian (?) I am actually quite shocked. For me it calls in to question the notion of her sainthood...……. but then not being a Catholic, I don't accept the whole canonisation thing anyway.

Is anyone whiter than white...……... ?

Bakero

Languidly clinical
Oct 9, 2010
Almería

Neville's Breakfast

May 1, 2016
Oxton, Birkenhead
How do you define 'over interested?' Who do I dislike?

Over interested=frequently starting and perpetuating debate on the subject with very little new to say.
People you dislike= the ‘NSC inner circle’. I’m not sure who they are. Do they have a special handshake ? I’m certainly not one of them. Also anyone who takes a view on these matters that is as predictable as yours even if completely opposite.
Let’s not continue this. I have been popping into this thread because I am against the vandalism and forced removal of statues. Against my better judgement I have commented on racial profiling and thereby become part of the problem of derailing a thread.

Beach Seagull

Jan 2, 2010
Over interested=frequently starting and perpetuating debate on the subject with very little new to say.
People you dislike= the ‘NSC inner circle’. I’m not sure who they are. Do they have a special handshake ? I’m certainly not one of them. Also anyone who takes a view on these matters that is as predictable as yours even if completely opposite.
Let’s not continue this. I have been popping into this thread because I am against the vandalism and forced removal of statues. Against my better judgement I have commented on racial profiling and thereby become part of the problem of derailing a thread.

Fair points. Although I disagree with 'with little new to say.' Don't dislike anyone on here, disagree with yes, dislike no. When all said and done we are all (or most are) Brighton fans. To me there is an inner circle on NSC, obviously very difficult for me to prove this.

Algernon

Sep 9, 2012
Newmarket.
It could become an irl Top Trumps of statues.
There's always one in the pack that everybody wants in their hand.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008
No need for sarcasm just because you feel uncomfortable. The talk and debate has not culminated in us being asked what we think and want, as well you know.

In that case we had best hold fire and stand down until you have been asked, and have been able to give a considered view.

vegster

Sanity Clause
May 5, 2008

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Its quite ironic that the two biggest racists of the second half of the 20th century were black, Amin and Mugabe.

Do you mean fattest?

Your posts are becoming increasingly fatuous. Anyone might think you have an agenda ???

Chicken Run

Member Since Jul 2003
NSC Patron
Jul 17, 2003
Valley of Hangleton
Now, I’m not for a second commenting on the statue, but isn’t seeing the contradictions within our historic figures really interesting? The dogmatic cultural approach to Churchill in all my learning was pretty much an infallible greatest leader we ever had. But isn’t the truth far more interesting, warts and all?

Again not for a second suggesting we take statues down, but the debate is fascinating, never be afraid of knowledge. I didn’t know about Coulston or Rhodes until this week, perhaps being in my mid-40s makes me susceptible to history documentaries on iPlayer, podcasts and the Simon Schamas of this world, but learning Baden-Powell called Mein Kampf, which you kind of satirise above, ‘a wonderful book’, makes me more interested in him, not less. The scouts were not far off being aligned with Hitler Youth with only the outbreak of war potentially stopping it from happening - conjecture of course, but fascinating none the less.

Tearing down statues by a protesting mob to me is bad, but debating historical truths isn’t. Don’t be fearful that once held beliefs of someone’s heroic status may have masked uncomfortable realities. We can still revere historic cultural figures but only through all that we know about them, not burying the bits we don’t like.
Grown up reasoned response.
Childish.

It is possible, if you try really hard, to accept that some people can do good AND bad things. One might, or might not outweigh the other, but to debate it, is justified.
Childish Response, pay more attention to Bold Seagull [emoji106]
Because like a child's view, it takes a very, very simplistic stance, utterly without nuance.

Nuance, now there’s a word that is fast becoming a NSC hall of famer [emoji23]

Baker lite

Banned
Mar 16, 2017
in my house
Or maybe an 'opinion.' Fancy that eh on a chat forum,how dare he. Why is it that you can have an opinion, but if you don't agree with someone they have an 'agenda?'

Opinion cannot and will not be tolerated, fall into line or be branded a racist,bigot, homophobic, transphobic, and any other manner of insults that suit.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here