Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Murray Efficient or Lazy?

FKalinx

Aug 18, 2006
There seems to be a lot of disagreement concerning our most expensive acqusition for years - Glenn Murray - and his work ethic. I was very excited when we bought him and even more so when he scored that hatrick. I admit, I was one of the ones who was eulogising him as the new Zamora. He reminded me a little of Berbatov, in the way that he made everything look so easy, the way he was in the right place at the right time without expending much energy. Now, however, and I have noticed other people saying the same thing, I have changed my mind. He seems very very tired, or just lazy and complacent. I would be very interested to see what other people have to say on the matter

Brighton Breezy

Jul 5, 2003
Sussex
He won most balls in the air yesterday which were played up to him and could have ended up with two goals.

Slightly laid back and occasionally looks disinterested but nothing wrong with that.

Would rather have a QUALITY player like Murray who conserves his energy than someone like Virgo or Revell who gets tired out chasing every single ball.

He clearly has talent and knows where the goal is.

Get OFF his back Withdean MOANERS.

dougdeep

May 9, 2004
SUNNY SEAFORD
I expect him to get back in the goal habit after yesterdays breakthrough.

London Pompous

Feb 16, 2008
Good: He has a good first touch, wins a lot in the air, can dribble and sees opportunities for himself and his colleagues

Bad: Not a natural finisher, especially from close range. Struggling to live with the price tag expectations, suffers unnecessary personal abuse from certain fans who expected Thierry Henry style output from a player who only cost £300k , which, although is high by our standards, is still peanuts (how much has Akinbiyi gone for in his career, £9million?)

Icy Gull

Back on the rollercoaster
Jul 5, 2003
Don't worry he'll be off soon enough to a team at a higher level that plays to his strengths. Guaranteed we'll turn a good profit on him too and maybe we can buy a couple of donkeys that run around like headless chcikens but are "crowd pleasers".

The Oldman

I like the Hat
NSC Patron
Jul 12, 2003
In the shadow of Seaford Head
He will come good I'm sure. His first few games for us showed that he has the ability. I think it's a case of him settling down in the South and not feeling the pressure so much. Next season 15 to 20 goals for him I predict.

bright1064

Dec 21, 2007
Brighton
I honestly don't think he had a good day yesterday. However it just seemed to me the percentage of fans wanted a scapegoat, and he fitted the bill. This is obviously down to the fact that he cost us 300k, and he becomes an easy target as such.

I really like Murray, he is a bit more elegant than others gone before him. But as I say he didn't have a great game yesterday. That's just the way it is!

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Good: He has a good first touch, wins a lot in the air, can dribble and sees opportunities for himself and his colleagues

Bad: Not a natural finisher, especially from close range. Struggling to live with the price tag expectations, suffers unnecessary personal abuse from certain fans who expected Thierry Henry style output from a player who only cost £300k , which, although is high by our standards, is still peanuts (how much has Akinbiyi gone for in his career, £9million?)

Well observed.

glasfryn

cleaning up cat sick
Nov 29, 2005
somewhere in Eastbourne
I honestly don't think he had a good day yesterday. However it just seemed to me the percentage of fans wanted a scapegoat, and he fitted the bill. This is obviously down to the fact that he cost us 300k, and he becomes an easy target as such.

I really like Murray, he is a bit more elegant than others gone before him. But as I say he didn't have a great game yesterday. That's just the way it is!

did'nt see the game but heard the commentary and have just seen his goal on TV and would agree .................and must say I did not here Forsters name much either maybe they both had an of day.

Kinky Gerbil

Im The Scatman
NSC Patron
Jul 16, 2003
hassocks
Don't worry he'll be off soon enough to a team at a higher level that plays to his strengths. Guaranteed we'll turn a good profit on him too and maybe we can buy a couple of donkeys that run around like headless chcikens but are "crowd pleasers".

Swap him for Virgo, People would shit themselves with joy if that happened, for some reason

mona

The Glory Game
Jul 9, 2003
High up on the South Downs.
He won most balls in the air yesterday which were played up to him and could have ended up with two goals.

Slightly laid back and occasionally looks disinterested but nothing wrong with that.

Would rather have a QUALITY player like Murray who conserves his energy than someone like Virgo or Revell who gets tired out chasing every single ball.

He clearly has talent and knows where the goal is.

Get OFF his back Withdean MOANERS.

Agreed.
What cost us yesterday was the bizarre tactic of defending so deeply for home games. This effectively gives the away team space to play in which Vale took advantage of. Also, Raccon, especially, and Thomson played poorly.
Murray is still learning and should be a very good striker at this level.

Seagulltonian

C'mon the Albion!
Oct 2, 2003
Still Somewhere in Sussex!
His back heel to set up Cox for his goal was very clever play. :thumbsup:

He was 2nd best quite a few times when the ball was put through to him to chase. :mad:

And, there was the time when he came back to the edge of our box in the 2nd half, and we broke quite quickly, and because of his starting position and slowish chasing speed he missed getting on the end of the cross by about two yards!

Plus point. He definitely has a goal scoring talent. Just needs to learn to run just that little bit faster.:p

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Murray is quality. We were awful yesterday but he was one of the best players (not saying a lot). He set up one and scored the other and still people are having a go. Just imagine how could he could be if he was actually playing with confidence. Get off his back. His vision, intelligence and first touch is as good as any striker we have had at the club for a while.

Chesney Christ

Sep 3, 2003
Location, Location
Wasn't it Murray that released Cox for his one on one just after half time?

Yep, and it was Murray who scored the 2nd goal, and then a disallowed goal in injury time. In England, it doesn't matter what you actually do on a football pitch, but whether you look like you care and play with "passion" (the most overused word in reference to English football ever). Hence why David Beckham is so popular. He looks like he cares.

Jul 5, 2003
Polegate
He was alright yesterday, and is a quality little player...but if you were expecting the next Ronaldo, then of course, he was always offside, is f***ing slow and far too lazy. His goal at the end was meaningless, his push in the last second cost us a draw, and the assist for the goal was a fluke.

:rolleyes:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here