Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

IS Mcghee the man ?

Is mcghee the right man for albion ?

• Yes. For gods sake give the man time- we are only 7th.

Votes: 48 60.0%
  • Nope. new man needed asap.

Votes: 11 13.8%
  • I don't know really. in two minds about whether the albion playing badly is actually his fault or wh

Votes: 21 26.3%

• Total voters

John Dorian

Glass Case of EMOTION
Is mark mcghee the right replacement for steve coppell ? Personally I dont think he is. I think Dick Knight should have found someone else for the job.

What do you think ?

Lofter

Jan 15, 2004
To be honest, we were worried about you until Coppell went. McGhee doesn't seem to have a clue. You do have some good players, but look at the difference in performance pre and post Coppell going. Tells its own story.

Marc

Jul 6, 2003
Lofter said:
but look at the difference in performance pre and post Coppell going. Tells its own story.

very true indeed, but you can say the same for Alex Ferguson when he was about to get sacked if they lost that FA Cup match....they won it and never looked back :)

I think time will tell although McGhee is the right man for me, a summer clear out, fresh faces in and we should be alright for next season IMO.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
I believe the same things were said about Mickey Adams in his first season with us.

Give Mcghee a chance. He is proven at this level.

perth seagull

Jul 5, 2003
I agree, McGhee needs time. But we already had a semi decent side when he took over, so how much time does he need?

It is a tad worrying because Peter Taylor took no time in getting the team to perform well after Micky Adams left.

But McGhee needs a whole season?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
perth seagull said:
I agree, McGhee needs time. But we already had a semi decent side when he took over, so how much time does he need?

But McGhee needs a whole season?

There's another thread running saying we need to get rid of half the team and start again.

Tom Hark Preston Park

Will Post For Cash
Jul 6, 2003
Where's the option for 'It doesn't matter who the manager is, it's more down to players playing well below the level that could reasonably be expected of them when they were given contract extensions'?

Can't see that Coppell would have got any more out of a squad whose experience of Division One seems to have only resulted in them going backwards.

Maybe if the club was to introduce a tariff of fines for aimless hoofing and brainless short corners that might have some effect. Otherwise can't really see how things would have turned out a lot different.

Last edited:

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Coppe knew this squad much better than McGhee does - he had much more time to work with them. It's not fair to judge MM properly until he's had the close season to shuffle things about and prepare the squad his way. As for the muppets that want him out, I assume they live in some sort of parallel universe!

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
Slight difference methinks between Adms who got rid of 27 out of 29 players and inherited a team that in its last 3 seasons had come 23rd,23rd and 17th in div 3 and McGhee who inherited a team that had been top of the league all season. Also in Adams first season we ended the season with 14 league games unbeaten and 8 wins 6 draws and 0 defeats. The next year we won the league.

Why is it that a lot of people on here say " Peter Taylor sod him, he did nothing at all but just inherited Micky Adams side and although he had the best record of any manager in BHA history with 19 wins 11 draws and 4 defeats from 34 games got no credit at all but the same does not apply to McGhee who inherited a side with more points at the same stage of the season and he has thrown it all away with 3 league wins in 10 games and being dumped out of the LDV and FAC Cup from a div 3 side.

Slight double standards ?.

US Seagull

Jul 17, 2003
Cleveland, OH
Give McGhee a chance for christ sake. We're all a little disappointed with the start his made so far, but we were spoilt with two championship seasons on the trot. If we'd been in this position two season ago, nobody would have complained.
Give McGhee a chance to shape the team into what he wants so they can start playing football the way he thinks it should be played. Then we'll see if it's crap or not.

The Large One

Who's Next?
Jul 7, 2003
97.2FM
McGhee has inherited a squad still playing in the comfort zone. And its not necessarily a squad of his own choosing.

Personally, I am not THAT bothered with where we finish this season. We are not going down, we may go up. I am just getting excited / nervous about the Falmer decision now.

We are finally having that season of 'consolidation' that Dick Knight promised us. You remember - the one we were supposed to have when we blew the 2nd Division away a couple of season ago.:clap:

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
At the moment we are playing relegation form,(3 LEAGUE WINS AND 3 DRAWS AND 6 DEFEATS!!) we are nearer the bottom on points than we are the top,so after we have played Barnsley and Plymouth,that will tell us how bad we are under McGoo,

And why cant anybody answer my question;

WHY WAS McGHEE LET GO BY MILWALL WHEN THEY WERE 8TH IN DIVISION ONE???

Im sorry but I dont think he is the man for the job,it wouldnt be so bad if we losing by playing decent football,but when was the last game you have walked out of game feeling entertained by the football we have played against eleven men?

Spicy

We're going up.
Dec 18, 2003
London
I think it is too easy to blame McGhee especially as he has no magic wand to wave and no mega money to bring in new talent. Short term loans are ok, but by the time they have started to settle they are recalled. This has happend so many times that each time a different one arrives or an existing one leaves, the team seems to need time to reconsolidate (is that a proper word?). Players need to be aware that they are responsible for their own destiny - if their play is not up to scratch then they need to go. Harsh I know, but I just think some of them need a good, swift kick up the jacksy.

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
The Timekeeper said:
too much long ball stuff and not enough width.

We were doing that back in Aug & Sep under Coppout

Nobby Lawton

Jan 6, 2004
My first reaction on the appointment was negative - but most new managers get a positive reaction from the squad \ fans etc.
However performances \ form has been relegation stuff - lets hope the honeymoon period stops now !!!

If he is going to experiment and we can't find the cash for new players then give youth a chance - McPhee, El Abd, Robinson, Hinshelwood etc
So far he has dropped all of them at one time or another - can't be good for confidence.
Also what has happened to Danny C (is he carrying an injury?) - is there less of the die hard spirit under McGee? We used to win 1-0 now we lose by a single goal.

Somethings changed - the squad hasn't

Oh well, roll on Barnsley and Plymouth ??? :glare: ???

Stumpy Tim

Gareth Glover said:
Slight difference methinks between Adms who got rid of 27 out of 29 players and inherited a team that in its last 3 seasons had come 23rd,23rd and 17th in div 3 and McGhee who inherited a team that had been top of the league all season. Also in Adams first season we ended the season with 14 league games unbeaten and 8 wins 6 draws and 0 defeats. The next year we won the league.

Why is it that a lot of people on here say " Peter Taylor sod him, he did nothing at all but just inherited Micky Adams side and although he had the best record of any manager in BHA history with 19 wins 11 draws and 4 defeats from 34 games got no credit at all but the same does not apply to McGhee who inherited a side with more points at the same stage of the season and he has thrown it all away with 3 league wins in 10 games and being dumped out of the LDV and FAC Cup from a div 3 side.

Slight double standards ?.

Hold onto your hat GG, but I'm going to agree with you. However, I think this was more to do with Taylor being a good manager than anything else. I think people are beginning to realise that Taylor actually did a great job.

On the other hand, I think some of the players who played then are now fading. There needs to be a form of rebuilding, slowly. This season will be it. A play-off place would be nice, but it's more important to build a team capable of promotion next season with the ability to stay in Div 1 the following season. That requires the blooding of youngsters, which MM is doing

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here