Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Maxine Carr innocent ( ish ) ?

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
That Ian Huntley is bang to rights, his story was ridiculous. I thought Carr was just as guilty " string them both up "is what I thought but I'm not so sure about the same level of guilt with Carr.

Braders

Abi Fletchers Gimpboy
Jul 15, 2003
Brighton, United Kingdom
erm trying to prevert the course of justice is pretty guilty gg

fatboy

Jul 5, 2003
Falmer
She is charged with perverting the course of justice.

She has admitted lying to prevent Huntley.

That makes her guilty?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
She knew she was lying to cover for him. She knew the enormity of the charges against him. It's not as if she was trying to provide an alibi for a burglary.

I would say just as guilty, although the charges against her are lesser.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I thought she was as culpable as Huntley in that she was there when they were killed. She was away for the weekend when it happened.

I suppose the jury have to judge how much she knew about and tried to cover up.

Robot Chicken

Seriously?
Jul 5, 2003
Chicken World
I think at the time she lied to protect her boyfriend after the rape allegation a few years previously. She didn't necessarily know exactly what had happened as she was in Grimsby.

Maybe she's sincere when she says she would have reported him had she known.

Huntley will be found guilty and sentenced to life I think but Carr should be given community service or a suspended sentence. She's already been held on remand and placed in solitary confinement for her own safety. With the evidence heard so far a long custodial sentence is wrong. We need to wait for the cross-examination.

byf

Sep 26, 2003
Bournemouth
Bring back hanging+hang huntley+let maxine carr rot in prison for life!

bhaexpress

Jul 7, 2003
Kent
In a word No. She must have known what he'd done and love or no love, it was still dispicable,

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Wasn't she aware of what had happened to the two girls-regardless of whether she was there when they were killed? She saw what their parents were going through and didn't do the decent thing and let them know where their girls' remains were.

Not quite as guilty but nonetheless guilty of something abhorent. The two girls' parents were going through hell every minute of every day until the bodies were found. Carr could have relieved some of their suffering but chose not to.

They both need locking up-him longer than her obviously:angry:

Albion Dan

Banned
Jul 8, 2003
Peckham
Hypothetical question:

You come home from a weekend away to find that your wife/husband/lover has killed someone and is begging you to help them out.

In the heat of the moment do you grass up the person you love?

Yorkie

Sussex born and bred
Jul 5, 2003
dahn sarf
Albion Dan said:
Hypothetical question:

You come home from a weekend away to find that your wife/husband/lover has killed someone and is begging you to help them out.

Someone? or two little girls.

Big difference.

If it was the case then I would beg them to turn themselves in but under questioning I couldn't lie.

Uncle Spielberg

Jul 6, 2003
Lancing
I'm all for justice but you need to differentiate. I don't think she is guilty by association just for having the misfortune to fall in love with a psycopath.

Bwian

Kiss my (_!_)
Jul 14, 2003
Gareth Glover said:
I'm all for justice but you need to differentiate. I don't think she is guilty by association just for having the misfortune to fall in love with a psycopath.

She is guilty of withholding vital information/evidence. Not as guilty as him but worthy of a spell at HMP.

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
Very good point AD. I actually feel very sorry for her. She is clearly guilty of perverting the course of justice and will be found guilty of this. BUT if as she says this morning he was very controlling and if she loved him, and especially if she thooght there was no way he could have done this, I think she's been put in an invidious position and has reacted in a way that I think a very large percentage of the population would act. As a result she will probably get a 3-5 year sentence for something which were it not this cause celebre would attract at most 12-18 months and possibly a non-custodial sentence.

Worse, much worse than this is that she will be talked of in the same breath as Myra Hindley when you cannot even compare the two crimes. She will be hounded by the public and the tabloid press who will treat her in the same hysterical fashion in which they treated Hindley, and will almost certainly have to assume a new identity and leave the country.. I for one think she's been dealt a pretty poor hand.

aftershavedave

Jul 9, 2003
as 10cc say, not in hove
Albion Dan said:
Hypothetical question:

How about they say they didn't do it, but because they were once wrongly accused of rape the police will frame them for the murder? Would you help then?

I think I probably would in all honestly.

ChutneyStirrer

Sep 14, 2003
Bwian said:
Wasn't she aware of what had happened to the two girls-regardless of whether she was there when they were killed? She saw what their parents were going through and didn't do the decent thing and let them know where their girls' remains were.

In her evidence she is saying that she didn't know they were dead - she said she was in when they called to back up Huntley's story that they girl's had been to the house and then left. She says she didn't know he had killed the girls until after the pair of them were arrested.

Huntley says that he 'forgot' all details of what happened until a while after he was arrested and when he was giving details in court it was the first time she had know about it.

I'd say she lied to the OB without being aware of what she was covering for - does that make her guilty or innocent??

Jambo Seagull

Jul 18, 2003
The Athens of the North
still makes her guilty of perverting the course of justice although possibly not of assisting an offender. If she didn't think he was an offender then there would not be any criminal intent.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
She is clearly guilty of perverting the course of justice, as would anyone else who followed the same path. But Myra Hindley she aint. She made some bad decisions but she didn't kill anyone.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here