Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Liam Bridcutt our greatest ever holding midfielder??

AlbionRob

Dec 25, 2011
Think that the Sponsors Man of the Match award should be changed to a 'Man of the Match that isn't Liam Bridcutt' award.

AlbionRob

Dec 25, 2011
You've gotta love Nobby Horton, cracking player - remember him & Peter Ward opening Wisdom's Sports in Haywards Heath, Bally heroes!

Arkwright

Arkwright
Oct 26, 2010
Caterham, Surrey
Getting better and better week in week out. Work rate is huge the only thing he lacks to make him great is that final pass, brilliant short passer just needs a little bit more range in his passing and he'll be snapped up by every club in the Premier.

Simster

"the man's an arse"
Jul 7, 2003
Surrey
He is unbelievably conisistent as well. I can't remember him having too many average games, let alone poor ones.

It is his consistency that marks him out as one of the best midfielders we've ever seen. Along with 80k a week loanee Wayne Bridge, and the ex Man Utd Champs League appearing PIG, he's got to be one of the only three on the team sheet that picks itself every single week.

LamieRobertson

Not awoke
Feb 3, 2008
SHOREHAM BY SEA
It is his consistency that marks him out as one of the best midfielders we've ever seen. Along with 80k a week loanee Wayne Bridge, and the ex Man Utd Champs League appearing PIG, he's got to be one of the only three on the team sheet that picks itself every single week.

Totally agree

Jul 20, 2003
The most valuable player in the team. A gem.

f*** me, that boy is good.

nomoremithras4me

Apr 7, 2011
Yep, f***ing amazes me how the shortest bloke on the pitch wins so many headers! Why do we hold him back at corners to mark the centre forward? f*** it, get him in the box :)

JOLovegrove

Jan 30, 2012
The thing that gets me is he is always there. Whether it is a key block like today, a tackle or the pass he is always in the right place. Class act, lets please keep hold of him.

Davemania

Jul 11, 2011
Uckfield
The guy is without doubt the first name on the teamsheet. Utter class

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
Although playing systems were different then - I still dont think he's as good as any of Danny Wilson, Brian Horton, Peter OSullivan, or Jimmy Case. For allround football ability, I have never seen anyone as good in a Brighton shirt as Brian Horton (yes I even think Horton pips Lawrenson). But thats only since 1970.

I only really remember Case and Wilson properly and while Bridcutt is a class act for the way football is played nowadays, I'd agree that he's not as good an all-rounder as those guys. Back then, the main man in midfield would be a driving force. Win tackles, box to box, varied range of passing, ferocious shot ideally (good old Jimmy). Not saying Bridcutt couldn't do most of that but the game's changed - he's a pivot for the passing now. Certainly the best I've seen in that new role, looking for the short passes and crucially reading the game well enough to cover the full-backs when required. Unlike some (of the usual suspects) was impressed with Dicker yesterday too. Thought he took up some dangerous positions when he was looking for passes - trying to get between their defence and midfield and move us forward rather than us playing all our possession stuff in front of them. Shame he's not a big quicker but the bloke can't help that. You can see why Gus rates what he brings to the team even if, physically, he'll get left behind the higher we go.

Man of Harveys

Jul 9, 2003
Brighton, UK
The most valuable player in the team. A gem.

f*** me, that boy is good.

Exactly this. He was quite indescribably good yesterday. He's brilliant every game but his performance yesterday was extraordinary even by his own ludicrously high standards. Unbelievable. Just unbelievable.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here