Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Keir really credible?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2719
  • Start date

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
Andy Burnham unfortunately appears to have been unlucky with timing. Not enough known about him in 2010, too much association with previous leaderships by 2015. His political gravitas has been greatly increased as Mayor of Manchester and being 'King of the North', but unfortunately that also means he's no longer an MP.

He’s out of national politics and even this week made it plain he see’s Greater Manchester as a 10 or 15 year project, not wanting to be an MP for now.

Imho he’ll be the LP leader one day when he’s it’s opportune i.e not in the cycle when Labour are getting destroyed by the media and social media.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I don’t understand those quoting membership numbers. The last time I checked you won an election by getting votes from the general population. Did I miss the bit where it became about the number of members? The very left wonder why centrist people would not support corbyn but then without any irony think it’s okay to abuse starmer. Who is it that calls him Keith? Might it be that centrists are that. They have a grey view rather than a black and white one? It doesn’t mean they should be attacked for it. The worst stuff I ever see on Facebook about starmer is from former labour members who say they could never vote for him. They attack him more than they attack the tories. They don’t appreciate that a vote for someone with no chance might as well be a vote for the tories. Starmer might not be perfect for them but surely he is better than Truss?

To win an election as a labour leader you have to be pragmatic and win the centre ground. I find it incredible that otherwise intelligent people would rather labour lose than them have to compromise on their view.

Yes starmer is pretty boring and a serious person but it is a serious job.

Spare us with your so-called "talking sense" and "facts". Everyone knows that the way to win an election is to have a few thousand activists screaming and screaming until they're sick at 25 million voters, and jobza good 'un.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
He’s out of national politics and even this week made it plain he see’s Greater Manchester as a 10 or 15 year project, not wanting to be an MP for now.

Imho he’ll be the LP leader one day when he’s it’s opportune i.e not in the cycle when Labour are getting destroyed by the media and social media.

He's too old school for me. Starmer may be dull but he seems more modern. The next Labour leader after Starmer is probably someone none of has heard of yet. Ironically, the exact opposite of the situation in the tory party, where the next leader is likely to be someone we wish we'd never heard of :lolol:

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Is that the Burnham who said something along the lines (no pun intended) that Manchester needed more support and money for it's rail issues than Brighton, when Brighton commuters were on their knees? He lost me again at that point. Support your constituency, but don't talk bollocks!

Number of railway stations in Greater Manchester vs Brighton & Hove;
Greater Manchester - 92
Brighton & Hove - 8

Seems fair enough they get more money to me...

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I think Keir is very good, my concern is for those behind him which is what ultimately let Blair down in the end.

However I think Labour missed a trick not getting Andy Burnham involved. He has the perfect combination of old and new labour with a huge and very believable conviction. Keir's failing is he is very London centric and comes across as such. Burnham would really move people I think.

I could put up with ten tears and 2.5 terms of an excellent PM again, before the inevitable political cycle kicks in and things get stale. It's how it works (albeit with the present tories it all seems to go tits up almost immediately, with any leader still in place after 2 years looking like a veteran).

Weststander

NSC Patron
Aug 25, 2011
Withdean area
He's too old school for me. Starmer may be dull but he seems more modern. The next Labour leader after Starmer is probably someone none of has heard of yet. Ironically, the exact opposite of the situation in the tory party, where the next leader is likely to be someone we wish we'd never heard of :lolol:

Ohhhhhh Je-re-my Cooooorrrrrbyn. Like Trump, he refuses to disappear.

Charlies Shinpad

Jul 5, 2003
Oakford in Devon
If Corbyn was so good, it’s astounding that Johnson won the last election with such a stunning majority!

Your dismissing of the Jewish News as “Zionist” hints at anti-semitism.

(Edit: PS I have no idea of the stance of the Jewish News on anything - but having scanned the article, it looked fairly straightforward.)

And yes, the Tory Party is imploding, but Starmer is also being accepted as a credible leader. Anybody who listened to his Conference speech on Monday can surely not say that he doesn’t have any policies. And there is a stark contrast between the disappearance of the levelling-up agenda from the Tory agenda, which BoJo only toyed with anyway, and the commitment to do things for the people of this country under a potential Labour government.

Whatever anybody thought of Blair, the country was a better place and people had more chance under him. Starmer is a good and serious operator with experience of actually doing and achieving things, while Corbyn is just a serial protester who would not have known what to do had he got in to power.

So what has Starmer done and achieved ???
Didn't really do himself any favours in the role of DPP with the Saville case, and most of these Pakistani grooming gangs are all in Labour controlled Areas , he could always start there.

Sent from my CPH2195 using Tapatalk

Thunder Bolt

Silly old bat
Didn't really do himself any favours in the role of DPP with the Saville case, and most of these Pakistani grooming gangs are all in Labour controlled Areas , he could always start there.

I worked for the CPS whilst Sir Keir Starmer was DPP and he was nothing to do with it because he wasn't the reviewing lawyer.

After it turned out later that two different police forces had received complaints about Saville, Sir Keir Starmer set in place a process whereby sexual crimes were to be checked across England and Wales to see if any other complaints had been logged.

So, he was not to blame and Johnson smeared him trying to put him down, when in fact, the Tories were the ones who entertained him at Chequers and insisted on giving Saville a knighthood.

Please check your facts before spreading untruths.

Edit to add, Sir Keir Starmer appointed the top Muslim lawyer, Chief Crown Prosecutor Nazir Afzal of the NW region to prosecute the grooming gangs which he did very successfully.
Who is looking into the grooming in the schools and churches by white men? 80% of sexual crimes against children are white, so do you have an agenda?

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove

I'm pretty sure the Mail and Express will be saving this in the bottom of the barrel until the election. Then you can get your snout out to hoover up the muck.

Last edited:

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Does she plan to vote conservative, or waste her vote on a fringe candidate who cannot possibly win? Either way that would be a vote for the conservatives.

You lot remind me of religious devotees, who instead of wading to sea to save the drowning man (nation) elect to kneel and pray. I do not approve. Not that you'll mind what I think. No compromise with the electorate, and all that.

A shame, because I imagine we agree on 99% of what constitutes being a good person.

This.

Surely the ‘strategic’ and ‘pragmatic’ approach from the ‘left’ is to get Starmer in power and then work on influencing his policies. This is the best chance they have of getting the sort of politics Corbyn represented. Or they could waste their votes and risk another Johnson/Truss administration, the two worst PMs in my lifetime by quite some margin who have made this great country shit since they’ve been in power.

DavidinSouthampton

NSC Patron
Jan 3, 2012

Firstly, he was a good and successful defence barrister. He is a QC, and they don't give those away with Corn Flakes packets.

Secondly, he is, I would have thought, recognised as a successful head of the CPS and so on. I think most people accept that Johnson's raising of what was widely seen as baseless conspiracy theories about Starmer and the Jimmy Savile case (as reported, for example by the Times and Reuters, as per the attached article) was seen as a failed attempt to deflect attention from his own considerable misdemeanours.

Thirdly, is there any particular connection to be made between Starmer and Pakistani Grooming Gangs? I am not aware of any, but then, I don't claim to know everything.

https://www.theweek.co.uk/news/politics/955638/what-did-keir-starmer-do-as-dpp?amp

Lifelong Supporter

Aug 4, 2009
Burgess Hill

He comes over very well from his position as Mayor of Manchester. Certainly, Starmer needs him onside and he is very effective at projecting the Labour cause. I am unsure that he has the necessary 'soft skills' for PM and maybe he knows that. I am also uncertain that he would want or enjoy the job. However he would be a massive improvement on what we have got at the moment and had before and before that !!!!

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
Point of order: he was a QC, isn't he now a KC?

If they don't start marketing him and the shadow cabinet as "KC and the sunshine band" then I for one am OUT

Perry's Tracksuit Bottoms

King of Sussex
Oct 3, 2003
Lost
Is that the Burnham who said something along the lines (no pun intended) that Manchester needed more support and money for it's rail issues than Brighton, when Brighton commuters were on their knees? He lost me again at that point. Support your constituency, but don't talk bollocks!

I'm a Southern commuter and I was shocked by how bad the trains were in Manchester when I visited. Made Southern look like Japan's railways.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
I worked for the CPS whilst Sir Keir Starmer was DPP and he was nothing to do with it because he wasn't the reviewing lawyer.

After it turned out later that two different police forces had received complaints about Saville, Sir Keir Starmer set in place a process whereby sexual crimes were to be checked across England and Wales to see if any other complaints had been logged.

So, he was not to blame and Johnson smeared him trying to put him down, when in fact, the Tories were the ones who entertained him at Chequers and insisted on giving Saville a knighthood.

Edit to add, Sir Keir Starmer appointed the top Muslim lawyer, Chief Crown Prosecutor Nazir Afzal of the NW region to prosecute the grooming gangs which he did very successfully.
Who is looking into the grooming in the schools and churches by white men? 80% of sexual crimes against children are white, so do you have an agenda?

And people question why I have idiots on ignore. Hmmmmm

Charley's a twat.PNG

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham

There are numerous lovely pictures of The Margaret with her fan boy.

Here's one:

Two wrongies.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here