Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is Jamie Oliver a mug or a Good Guy?

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003
Well, the original Jamie Oliver was the "invention" of a television producer. All the Pukka, let get me mates round my converted loft appartment etc.. etc..

Very late 90s and the public eventually saw through it.

I'll never really forgive him for taking the false persona to Sainsburys and the "misleading" adverts that came out of it. "Baked Beans Gate" probably sums the bloke up.

Herr Tubthumper

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
The Fatherland
[yt]PWkWQ-39KLo[/yt]

Whatever you say you cannot argue against his Ministry of Food programme being an excellent vehicle for the middle-classes to poke fun at northerners.

crodonilson

He/Him
Jan 17, 2005
Lyme Regis
He's a lovely guy.

bigbadbonkingbob

Aug 21, 2006
The likes of Charlie Brooker and Stewart Lee are very funny and very good at tearing their targets to pieces, but they are to say the least indiscriminate in their selection. Oliver's a good guy; Charlie Brooker could do a very funny character assassination on Mother Theresa if he wanted, but it wouldn't be right.

Tricky Dicky

Jul 27, 2004
Sunny Shoreham
Top Geezer in my book - unfortunately, like anyone successful at what they do, he will get slagged off for no apparent reason by people who have never achieved anything in their own lives.

I have always said that "celebrities" are people with no apparent talent, so on that basis I wouldn't call him one, but I'd be more than happy with more public figures with his drive, ambition and care for other peoples welfare.

folkestonesgull

Oct 8, 2006
folkestone
I like his books - good recipies.
I went to 15 in Cornwall the other day and that was also good, in his style - loads of fresh herbs, oils etc.
Finally the hours he has put in to trying to change the countries eating habits is pretty heroic. I really do think he shoudl be applauded

Austrian Gull

Feb 5, 2009
Linz, Austria
He's definitely a good guy if you can forgive him for the Sainsburys adverts. The programme about school dinners was daring and needed doing.

There are plenty of other TV chefs who are far more annoying - Ramsey and Harriott for example.

Lady Whistledown

NSC Patron
Jul 7, 2003
He's definitely a good guy if you can forgive him for the Sainsburys adverts. The programme about school dinners was daring and needed doing.

There are plenty of other TV chefs who are far more annoying - Ramsey and Harriott for example.

Does Harriott even class as a chef any more?

No idea if he has a restaurant, but all I ever see him doing is poncing about on Ready Steady Cook, twirling his giant pepperpot around theatrically, and causing the old dears in the audience to giggle hysterically because one of the no-mark, Z-listers competing has produced a mildly phallic shaped lump of root ginger from their bag.

"Oooh, er, what am I like, ladies & gentlemen!"

clapham_gull

Legacy Fan
Aug 20, 2003

Yes quite daring if you didn't think that the Kids wouldn't turn their nose up at Butternut Squash and simply get their parents to produce a nutritious packed lunch of Monster Munch and Gingsters Sausage Roll.

Self promotion nothing, more nothing less. Channel Four seem intent on re-inventing him as some kind of social campaigner, but the grovelling letters of apology to Sainsburys over his comments about their chickens indicates someone with a quite different agenda.

looney

Banned
Jul 7, 2003
hes a nob head and i cant stand him, but i have the utmost respect for him for using his celebraty platform to do good.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here