Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

is it wrong to mock the way roy hodgson speaks?

Barrel of Fun

Abort, retry, fail
Yeah, I hate to see people sticking up for someone else too :rolleyes:

Someone help me out! :jester:

It was aimed, more at those serial complainers who shall take up any cause for the sake of it being a cause. Probably a misguided ethic on my part.

Being disabled/deaf, I've had my fair share of ridicule and what-have-you and I'm quite happy to defend myself, without the need for people batting for me. However, I'm sure not everyone is the same and the skin is thicker on some than others.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither
Depends how it is intended. If in an affectionate way - that is fine. I like the bloke and would not hesitate to say Woy.

But if in a cruel way to undermine the bloke it is unacceptable.

It is not a black and white world.

Dick Knights Mumm

Take me Home Falmer Road
Jul 5, 2003
Hither and Thither

It was aimed, more at those serial complainers who shall take up any cause for the sake of it being a cause. Probably a misguided ethic on my part.

Being disabled/deaf, I've had my fair share of ridicule and what-have-you and I'm quite happy to defend myself, without the need for people batting for me. However, I'm sure not everyone is the same and the skin is thicker on some than others.

BoF - I understood your point perfectly.

drew

Drew
Oct 3, 2006
Burgess Hill
Let's be honest, the Sun were thoroughly pissed off their man didn't get the gig and the headline is laying the foundation for what is to come and I would suggest that it errs on the side of vindictiveness rather than banter. I doubt very much that Roy Hodgson is perturbed by the headline but what about the thousands of kids with a speech impediment (for want of a better word) that see that and don't have the worldly wisdom to ignore it.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Let's be honest, the Sun were thoroughly pissed off their man didn't get the gig and the headline is laying the foundation for what is to come and I would suggest that it errs on the side of vindictiveness rather than banter. I doubt very much that Roy Hodgson is perturbed by the headline but what about the thousands of kids with a speech impediment (for want of a better word) that see that and don't have the worldly wisdom to ignore it.

I agree with you - the scum will use every opportunity they can find to have a dig at Hodgson. Dread to think how they'll treat him when England have a bad result.

banjo

GOSBTS
Oct 25, 2011
Deep south
I agree with you - the scum will use every opportunity they can find to have a dig at Hodgson. Dread to think how they'll treat him when England have a bad result.

This. You can just imagine it, let's hope he get's off to a good start.

brakespear

Doctor Worm
Feb 24, 2009
Sleeping on the roof

ok then, I see your point and apologise for possibly over-reacting :)

This though, I wholeheartedly believe will happen. Still can't work out after all these years how we ended up with a media that's happier when the UK fails at something.

Last edited:

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011
Completely childish.

W.C.

Oct 31, 2011

I agree. So depressingly inevitable. I hope I will be massively surprised. I doubt I will.

Stat Brother

NSC Patron
Jul 11, 2003
West west west Sussex
I think the argument is getting slightly bent out of shape, by some.
The Sun is the bully in the news paper playground, and The FA have bloodied their nose by NOT doing what the Sun say, so they have taken it out on the bloke who won't answer back.
They are a BULLY.

Had Redknapp got the job, the Sun wouldn't have made light of the fact he can't read, write, bank, or use a modern phone.

Personally I'd love for Roy to shout a volley of abuse @ The Sun, all words he can say, ending with telling them where they can stick the paper (a word he can't) while he is manager.

4-p

Sep 3, 2011
Shoreham
Let's hope the Sun doesn't make Roy the next Graham Taylor.

I'm not sold that he's the right man for the job.

He did well with the underdogs but when it came to a high profile club he couldn't deliver, then again Kenny's not exactly succeeded.

Anyway, Roy seems like another Steve McLaren to me

The SUN should hold its head in shame for what it has done. Totally undermined our National Coach one day into his tenure, a month before a major tournament and he hasn't even met the players yet! Unbelievable. How good are we as a Nation at turning against ourselves? World Beaters!
I am absolutely disgusted with the Sun and anyone else who finds it vaguely amusing. For once we have a decent, honest and respected ENGLISH manager and what do we do? Turn our back on him at the first hurdle. However, I'm sure everyone would have liked Harry 'nothing sticks on me' Rednapp. What a good, honest bloke he is.
We should be getting behind Roy Hodgson, not taking the p**s at the first instance. The dressing room is bad enough without this kind of drivel.
Rant over. Please feel free to condemn everything I have said as I am sure it makes great entertainment for the remainder. Bin fest begin.

withdeanwombat

Feb 17, 2005
Somersetshire
As long as he produces an exciting and eventually winning team he could speak esperanto_Or Italian.Or Swedish (which he possibly can.)

Jul 24, 2003
Newbury, Berkshire.
Jonathan ross has made a career out of not being able to pronounce his r's

So did Frank Muir. If you ever watched him on 'Call My Bluff' you'll know that he revelled in being able to make people laugh by his pronounciations.

It doesn't even really matter if any of us find it offensive, it only matters if Roy finds it offensive and I'd be surprised if he's ever let it bother him.

The only reason people are treating it this way is to make a jibe against the Sun, and to claim the moral high ground. But I bet these same people also laugh at Rory Bremner, Harry Enfield and Alistair McGowan without inviting such critism, although you can easily argue that they are equally culpable of being 'offensive'.

Last edited:

pork pie

Dec 27, 2008
Pork pie land.
Personally, I think it is outrageous. We have laws stopping us saying what we think about a lot of alien people, but our national press are allowed to print totally offensive things about one of our own - how can that be right?

A lot of people take the piss out of me for the way I speak because I have a slight lisp and it really can knock my confidence. As I've got older it's not so bad but I couldn't be the best man at my mate's wedding when asked because public speaking is something I just can't do. It made me feel a failure.

Nothing surprises me with The Sun and how low they can stoop.

this is fuckin terrible, I think taking the piss out of the way people speak is as low as you can get. as for the sun, they had already made a 'woy' comment the previous day, it wasn't funny then, did they think the 'hillarious joke' would get better with age?

I's going to be interesting to see what is written if England do badly this summer. I've been lambasted in the past because I speak with what some common low class people consider as a Snobbish accent. It does not and will not bother me in the slightest as this reflects the way this country used to be, stiff upper lip and don't go crying to Mummy, Cold shower and a bowl of porridge in the morning. None of this namby pamby designer clothes nonsense.

shaolinpunk

[Insert witty title here]
Nov 28, 2005
Brighton
I'd be curious to know how many people, particularly children in the school playground, who have a similar impediment found themselves being mocked that day

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here