Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it too easy to be offended in this country?

Is it too easy to be offended in this country?

• Yes

Votes: 35 89.7%
  • No

Votes: 4 10.3%

• Total voters

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Perfidious Albion

Oct 25, 2011
At the end of my tether
Perhaps we answered a different question to what the O P actually wrote down. I answered "yes" because the laws of this country make it offensive to say things , whether anybody is really offended or not.

That said, people take offence at different things than they used to. Swearing used to be offensive in most social groups. Now it is commonly accepted. Words that only a little while ago were common slang for a homosexual or a black person are nowadays forbidden.
NB When I was young , a relative owned a black labrador called N**g*r , and nobody thought anything wrong with that, it was a common word and not a racist slur.

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London
Perhaps we answered a different question to what the O P actually wrote down. I answered "yes" because the laws of this country make it offensive to say things , whether anybody is really offended or not.

That said, people take offence at different things than they used to. Swearing used to be offensive in most social groups. Now it is commonly accepted. Words that only a little while ago were common slang for a homosexual or a black person are nowadays forbidden.
NB When I was young , a relative owned a black labrador called N**g*r , and nobody thought anything wrong with that, it was a common word and not a racist slur.

The dog in the dambusters was called ******, so back then it was clearly acceptable.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011
Most of you probably do not realize, but I am a homosexual black woman.

Wat. Say somethin.

Hungry Joe

SINNEN
Oct 22, 2004
Heading for shore
I think part of the problem is a language one. I don't recognise the modern usage of terms like 'offended' or 'amazing' anymore. To listen to a lot of people you'd expect them to be in a constant state of disgust combined with bewilderment, rather than just the general torpor they display whilst going 'blah blah blah, it was like soooo a-ma-zing, blah blah blah, don't be so offensive, my internet friend has feelings you know, in fact they are a-ma-zing'. Read the alphabeti spaghetti folks.

catfish

North Stand Brighton Boy
Dec 17, 2010
Worthing
Many people who find racism offensive today would not have found it offensive in the past. Political correctness changes peoples attitudes.

I've always found racism offensive but I'm not a member of the pc brigade.

albionant

Aug 29, 2007
I went on an equality and diversity course last week and they stated that it was inappropriate to call a woman a LADY, it was offensive and patronising they must be called Women.
I understand that there is a need for this types of course but they lose all credibility with slides and comments such as this, I asked my wife and friends is they objected and all said no.

Any women on here whom object to being called a lady?

piersa

Apr 17, 2011
London

Seagull over Canaryland

Feb 8, 2011
Norfolk
I think a big part of why people get so easily offended is that punters have lost (or maybe never had) the ability to see the other point of view and have a rational and good natured debate rather than take the issue personally and just go straight into verbals. It seems too easy for some to dish out cheap abuse rather than think for a second and then respond a bit more calmly. The more they witness it the more they think it is the norm. Road rage is a good example.

It's easy to be offended and then respond in kind but so much more satisfying to counter with an intelligent response that might even make the other punter think themselves.

JBizzle

Apr 18, 2010
Seaford
I voted yes, but the thing that bothers me is not people who are genuinely offended by things but people who actively look to be offended or people who get offended on behalf of others.

dingodan

Feb 16, 2011

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here