Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Football] Is it time to stop awarding teams points for a 0-0 draw?

Should teams get zero points for a 0-0 draw?

• Yes

Votes: 17 13.5%
  • No

Votes: 96 76.2%
  • Unsure

Votes: 7 5.6%
  • Only for cup matches

Votes: 6 4.8%

• Total voters

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
Utterly stupid idea, the only surprise is that the American PL team owners haven't suggested it.

Next up the introduction of any or all of the following

Points awarded for the score at half time
Bonus points awarded to teams winning a game who were losing at half time
Any team scoring more than two goals in a game awarded bonus points
Further bonus points awarded for teams scoring four or more goals in a half
At the end of each game if the scores are level, a penalty shoot out decides which team gets extra point - This isn't necessary but will give the early leavers a dilemma and also upset away fans who may miss trains home
Points deducted for any team picking up five or more yellow cards in a game, with any cards given during the game for time wasting or dissent counting double
Game changed to 4 quarters to allow for more TV advertising

That should make the league table fun to work out

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
It's a really interesting idea. Don't know if I agree or not, would love to hear it discussed more
To my mind it’s an awful idea. Suits the big teams as it stops the weaker teams playing for a 0-0. If a team like Ipswich go away to Man City and get a 0-0 then they deserve a point. They shouldn’t be forced to try to score and therefore make it even more inevitable that Man City win.

Mr Bridger

Sound of the suburbs
Feb 25, 2013
Earth
Consequence of a 0-0 bore draw should be good old fashion drop ball in each 6 yard box, à la
Massive v QPR the other week. Send the punters home happy.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
No.

But, zero points for any team which has fewer than X number of shots on target, regardless of the result.

Hugo Rune

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2012
Brighton
Gentleman’s agreement between managers to get to 1-1?

No.
Logically, the Gentleman’s agreement does not work.

Put yourself in the mind of someone like Neal Maupay. You know your team and the opposition have to get to 1-1 because there is a secret agreement. Your team go 1-0 up. You have 3 points. You now have to ‘lose’ 2 points because of some kind of Gentleman’s code that would see your team relegated from the Premier League if it was uncovered. Would you let the opposition score or instead, shithouse the ****ers for ever believing that your team would be up for this scam!

The Optimist

NSC Patron
Apr 6, 2008
Lewisham
No.

But, zero points for any team which has fewer than X number of shots on target, regardless of the result.
A rule that favours the big clubs. No thanks. If a smaller team goes to Man City and defends the onslaught successfully and scores a breakaway goal with their only shot on target then they deserve the points.

Also, you could achieve the number of shots on targets by taking stupid long shots that are nothing more than passes to the opposition goalkeeper.

Johnny RoastBeef

These aren't the players you're looking for.
Jan 11, 2016
A rule that favours the big clubs. No thanks. If a smaller team goes to Man City and defends the onslaught successfully and scores a breakaway goal with their only shot on target then they deserve the points.

Also, you could achieve the number of shots on targets by taking stupid long shots that are nothing more than passes to the opposition goalkeeper.

Teams would stop playing in that manner, games would be more entertaining.

Managers of smaller clubs would develop other methods of playing teams like Man City, other than "parking the bus'.

What would you prefer to watch, Hughton's Brighton or De Zerbi's?

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
To my mind it’s an awful idea. Suits the big teams as it stops the weaker teams playing for a 0-0. If a team like Ipswich go away to Man City and get a 0-0 then they deserve a point. They shouldn’t be forced to try to score and therefore make it even more inevitable that Man City win.
I agree that it may suit the bigger teams, but too many games are being ruined by teams sitting in and playing for a nil all from the start. Boring. I think it would make games much more entertaining as it forces a more attacking mindset, so for that reason I'm in.
As you say, Man City would definitely agree.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
If teams were playing for 0-0 more often, I'd think it would be a good idea. The 0-0 is an increasingly rare species however though and should be allowed to live.

As a Swede I'm willing to defend the 0-0 like David Attenborough would jump in front of a bulldozer to save the Sri Lankan yellow-striped mouse deer from going extinct.

Van Cleef

Jun 17, 2023
If teams were playing for 0-0 more often, I'd think it would be a good idea. The 0-0 is an increasingly rare species however though and should be allowed to live.

As a Swede I'm willing to defend the 0-0 like David Attenborough would jump in front of a bulldozer to save the Sri Lankan yellow-striped mouse deer from going extinct.
Not that rare though is it? Any team that plays a low block has at least a partial intent of a scoreless game, even if that isn't the sole aim.

A1X

NSC Patron
Sep 1, 2017
Deepest, darkest Sussex
No, but I would suggest 1 point for a no score draw and 2 points for a score draw

It seems mad that a 4-4 and a 0-0 are worth the same when one is infinitely more exciting

studio150

Jul 30, 2011
On the Border
No, but I would suggest 1 point for a no score draw and 2 points for a score draw

It seems mad that a 4-4 and a 0-0 are worth the same when one is infinitely more exciting
There is an art to defending, and as we all know there are 0-0s and 0-0s.

If you want excitement then you are only one step away from a panel of 9 judges watching the game and awarding scores to each team based on how exciting they were to determine the result and actual goals have no bearing on the result

Wozza

Shite Supporter
Jul 6, 2003
Minteh Wonderland
Logically, the Gentleman’s agreement does not work.

Put yourself in the mind of someone like Neal Maupay. You know your team and the opposition have to get to 1-1 because there is a secret agreement. Your team go 1-0 up. You have 3 points. You now have to ‘lose’ 2 points because of some kind of Gentleman’s code that would see your team relegated from the Premier League if it was uncovered. Would you let the opposition score or instead, shithouse the ****ers for ever believing that your team would be up for this scam!

Everyone would be in on it, because everyone gains.

Honestly, I've only ever seen this (crap) suggestion from Americans.

It's a complete non-starter.

Deadly Danson

Oct 22, 2003
Brighton
Leave things alone. It's fine. The beauty of football is that turgid, or indeed entertaining, 0-0 draws are all part of the tapestry. We don't need more goals or more excitement. The whole point of celebrating a goal is that it's special and has sometimes been a long time coming.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024

Disagree strongly with that, it increases the value of a draw compared to a win. If its 1-1 or 2-2 it would often be a real borefest with no risk taking. Settle for 2 points or risk them both to get another one?

Nah. This is why they introduced the 3 point system instead of the old 2 point system - to make teams more eager to win.

Shropshire Seagull

Nov 5, 2004
Telford
For a bit of crowd entertainment, have a penalty shoot-out BEFORE kick-off.
Then, after the 90 minutes (I'd prefer 60 mins of ball in play time), as follows:
3 points of a win
1 point for a score-draw plus a bonus point to the team who won the pen shootout.
for 0-0 only, the bonus point for the pen shoot-out winners to be awarded.

I also think, for cup fixtures that must be decided on the night, the penalty shoot-out should take place BEFORE kick-off.
This stops one team playing for pens as they know they have already lost - they have to score a goal !

And all this adds to spectator entertainment.

Edit: After-thought, for league games, winners of the penalty shoot-out given a one-goal head-start.
Should reduce the cagy defensive stuff because one of the teams knows they are already a goal down

Last edited:

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here