Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it time Independent doctors at matches?

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
1. If any player holds up play for injury, either because he needs treatment or because the ref stops play, then he has to leave the pitch until the next break in play.

2. If any player is injured but doesn't need treatment, then there is no waiting around for him to struggle to his feet. He isn't hurt, so play on immediately.

Rough on players who are genuinely injured, but that's a low proportion of them.

Eeyore

Colonel Hee-Haw of Queen's Park
NSC Patron
Apr 5, 2014
In rugby they just bring the physio on and carry on with play while everyone skips around them. That'll soon stop the play acting.

Harry Wilson's tackle

Harry Wilson's Tackle
NSC Patron
Oct 8, 2003
Faversham
Think both times Solly went down with his ACLs it was off the ball & no one near him. Got roundly booed at Derby even when he got taken off on a stretcher.
Fair point.

I may have suggested previously that if a player is conscious and makes a massive fuss requiring a stretcher they must be subbed off, not sponged down and allowed to trot back on 2 minutes later.

Han Solo

May 25, 2024
I am now fed up with teams like Arsenal wasting time and faking injuries all the time to get the physio on allowing managers to pass on messages. It is cheating. Has Raya ever got cramp when Arsenal need a goal? No. In fact how often do any players go down with cramp when they are losing?

It is against the laws to fake injury and a bookable offence
  • attempts to deceive the referee e.g. by feigning injury or pretending to have been fouled (simulation)
Obviously the issue with cramp is that you can say “oh it got better” - therefore I am saying we should ever stop for cramp. Play on. Its tough. We don’t stop because players are unfit and out of breath so why should we stop for cramp. If they are struggling them hobble off and get help. If that changed then I would bet very good money that we would see less cramp in the game.

Independent doctor could be first on the scene to check whether an injury is genuine or not. It is time for a crackdown on all this timewasting. It is shocking. It is not mastering the dark arts. It is cheating. People pay money to watch sport not people pretend to be hurt.
This is not how medicine works. A lot of injuries can't be seen with the naked eye.

South Stand Bonfire

Who lit that match then?
NSC Patron
Jan 24, 2009
Shoreham-a-la-mer
I noticed yesterday when Pedro got smashed by Gibbs White he was treated on the pitch but I don't think he ever had to go off. I could be wrong but I think (99.9% certain) he was on the field for our resulting free kick.

Is this a rule now regarding tackles that are "punished" with a card? Or did the ref just miss this one?
Player only needs to go off for 30 seconds if the trainer comes on, only if the player who injured him is not carded. GW was carded so Pedro didn’t need to go off.

dsr-burnley

Aug 15, 2014
In rugby they just bring the physio on and carry on with play while everyone skips around them. That'll soon stop the play acting.
Not in rugby league. I don't watch union, but as far as I know they stop play in union when the action gets near an injured player.

el punal

Aug 29, 2012
The dull part of the south coast
If, you go down holding your head, you go straight off for 5 mins examination...
As per rugby, you HAVE to leave the field for an H.I.A. (head injury assessment) by a qualified medic/doctor who then states yay or no for the player to continue. The examination takes quite a few minutes. So, alluding to your post, the time off the pitch would certainly curtail ‘fake’ injuries.

dazzer6666

NSC Patron
Mar 27, 2013
Burgess Hill
Cramp you can feel! Or maybe it is just my calf that goes like a cricket ball!
Cramp isn’t an injury. Physio isn’t needed and play should carry on around them. If they aren’t sure it’s cramp then they can wave their arms about and be treated at the next break in play, then have their minimum 30s (or increase this) off the pitch when play restarts.

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here