Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Politics] Is it time for the UK to become a republic?

Is it time to become a republic?

• Yes - become a republic

Votes: 189 38.4%
  • No - keep the monarchy

Votes: 306 62.2%

• Total voters

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
I relaid that list from C4 News, although there were one or two others. It seems, however, that they've changed their position:

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2...cling-in-queens-funeral-u-turn-after-ridicule

I read the original statement from BC, and my immediate thought was - "what a load of bollox". If the weather is good, I will most definitely be going out for a ride - regardless of whether it clashes with an old lady's funeral or not.

No interest in the Royal family at all, & certainly no interest in faux mourning over the TV. I've not turned the TV or radio on since the day after she died as it just gets me wound up. Even gave the wife a raised eyebrow last night as she sat glued to it watching the plane just sitting on the runway for ages....ffs :facepalm:

As you can tell, Im not exactly on the fence to whether we should ditch the monarchy or not....

Bold Seagull

strong and stable with me, or...
Mar 18, 2010
Hove
I read the original statement from BC, and my immediate thought was - "what a load of bollox". If the weather is good, I will most definitely be going out for a ride - regardless of whether it clashes with an old lady's funeral or not.

No interest in the Royal family at all, & certainly no interest in faux mourning over the TV. I've not turned the TV or radio on since the day after she died as it just gets me wound up. Even gave the wife a raised eyebrow last night as she sat glued to it watching the plane just sitting on the runway for ages....ffs :facepalm:

As you can tell, Im not exactly on the fence to whether we should ditch the monarchy or not....

Like you say, it's been relatively easy to avoid the blanket coverage. I haven't been wound up by it at all really other than the kids football being off at the weekend which I still maintain was a bad decision. I'm quite happy that the TV can fulfill the needs of those that want to absorb everything, it's just when it creeps out to force people not to be doing things. That is their choice.

I'm chuckling slightly at the outrage of the Hove Deep Sea Anglers club members as the club has decided to shut on Monday out of respect, and many of the royal supporting members are up in arms that they would have liked to have watched proceedings with friends while drinking all day...out of respect of course.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly

Machiavelli

Oct 11, 2013
Fiveways
It's good that they were ridiculed, and the Stasi comparisons are, I think...fair.

As I said, I will be out on my bike.

I have avoided commenting on anything that might upset those that are mourning, but I draw the line at being ordered to mourn.

The root of much of this lies with the tabloids, no one seems to want to get Daily Mailed.

Yes to all of this.

Audax

Boing boing boing...
Aug 3, 2015
Uckfield
Missed this thread the first time around. As a dual-national (Australian by birth, English by ancestry via my dad) I have a foot in both camps.

The Aussie in me is saying "it's time" for Australia to call time on the last remaining ties to the Monarchy and become a republic. It effectively is already anyway: the Queen has had zero influence in Aussie politics for decades. The Queen's representative (the Governor General) is a) appointed by (and can be dismissed by) the Australian Government and b) completely toothless ever since the Whitlam dismissal (in effect if not constitutionally). Australia has a working democracy (not perfect, but better than the UK version) and it has very little need for an unelected head of state from half way around the world.

The English in me is saying "not yet" when it comes to the UK. Assuming King Charles is able to step away from his activities as Prince Charles, and hand that role fully over to William, I see no problem in the Monarchy continuing. While much like Australia the Monarchy has no real role politically today, it has a lot of historic significance and (despite a lot of misunderstanding among the wider public) is a net positive to the Treasury / economy. I also see in Prince William a man who very obviously knows the role of the royals is very different today and he uses his position to try to find ways to improve our lives outside of politics. I'm general very much in favour of the charitable work done, and the public work done around mental health and the like.

I would also say while it's very easy for non-UK countries to cut ties with the Monarchy, it is far more difficult here in the UK. While it is largely unwritten, there is a constitution that would need to be unpicked (and replaced), and while it might appeal to those who (wrongly) think the royals are a drain on the treasury, sorting out the royal wealth situation in the event of the UK becoming a republic would be a massive headache - and, I suspect, one where in actuality nothing would change for a very, very long time. I would expect that *if* the UK became a republic it would do so in a rather light touch manner - explicitly removing the royals from any role in politics (such as removing the "royal assent" for bills passed by parliament, removing the theatre around appointing Prime Ministers, no more Queens / Kings speech to open Parliament etc) but otherwise leaving things exactly as they are today.

Seagull27

Feb 7, 2011
Bristol
I have avoided commenting on anything that might upset those that are mourning, but I draw the line at being ordered to mourn.

I've tried doing the same, but it's been way over the top in my opinion. The BBC News app has been almost useless to me in over the last week as there's barely anything else being covered. Every single radio station over the weekend playing depressing dirge (instrumental versions of Coldplay songs, and Jeff Buckley on repeat ffs), and half hourly "news" updates to let us know where the royal family are next. No comedy shows for the mourning period. Football cancelled over the weekend. And now the bank holiday next week will basically result in a complete shutdown of the country.

I don't have an issue at all with people mourning the Queen, if they want/need to (though I don't quite understand how some get quite so emotional over someone they've never met). I'm quite happy for some channels/programmes to be dedicated to her to allow others to do that. But it has been very difficult to escape from for those of us who don't feel the need to mourn, it's like we're being told to be upset and forlorn, and any other feeling is not acceptable. I imagine this hasn't helped many who are struggling with mental health

beorhthelm

A. Virgo, Football Genius
Jul 21, 2003
It's good that they were ridiculed, and the Stasi comparisons are, I think...fair.

As I said, I will be out on my bike.

it really isnt remotely comparable. suggesting people dont cycle during a funeral is very long way from an organisation that asked neigbours to spy, and imprisoned people for minor statements against the state. there's a lot of contrived outrage to things that need nothing more than light mocking.

Pogue Mahone

Apr 30, 2011
it really isnt remotely comparable. suggesting people dont cycle during a funeral is very long way from an organisation that asked neigbours to spy, and imprisoned people for minor statements against the state. there's a lot of contrived outrage to things that need nothing more than light mocking.

Well obviously it isn't really comparable. :rolleyes:

It is a light-hearted metaphor, used to convey an image of an overly-authoritarian 'suggestion' from a governing body of a sport that should be keeping its nose out of people's business.

Clive Walker

Stand Or Fall
Jul 5, 2011
Brighton
thats interesting. Sky News royalists just admitted that when the Queen took the throne there was 100 monarchies globally. When she died there was only 25 left.

GOM

living vicariously
Aug 8, 2005
Leeds - but not the dirty bit
Yes.

What problem does it solve? That society shouldn't be based on hereditary entitlement. The fabric of our cultural and heritage has been built on an antiquated class system that retains wealth and power within circles that only benefit from it not necessarily earned through merit and achievement. The monarchy is the pinnacle of this representation.

But society is based on hereditary entitlement, usually by a will.

Swansman

Pro-peace
May 13, 2019
Sweden
thats interesting. Sky News royalists just admitted that when the Queen took the throne there was 100 monarchies globally. When she died there was only 25 left.

Yup... no surprise there, democracy has grown a bit in the last 70 years.

In another 70 years I'm pretty sure there won't be 75 left. The monarchies most likely to keep being monarchies are the ones that put politics and royals as far from each other as possible. I doubt Brunei or Morocco and similar countries with influential kings will be monarchies by year 2100, while there is a fair chance that countries who see their royals strictly as living antiques could remain monarchies.

Unless things like these - https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2021/feb/08/royals-vetted-more-than-1000-laws-via-queens-consent - are removed and abolished, change might happen sooner or later in the UK.

nicko31

Jan 7, 2010
Gods country fortnightly
Does the NHS really have to stop certain things on Monday?

This is madness.

If Center Parcs can U-turn so can the NHS. We all know how bad waiting lists are.

We need to give our heads a wobble.

Last edited:

Fignon's Ponytail

Jun 29, 2012
On the Beach
Does the NHS really have to stop certain things on Monday?

This is madness.

My wife is manager of the Radiopharmacy Dept at the RSCH, which supplies essential drugs for scans to hospitals across Sussex - as well as the Nuclear Medicine Dept at RSCH who do a broad range of procedures (inc. cancer scans etc)
After meetings with her bosses they decided that they will be open on Monday, & working as usual for the entire day. My wife is a big fan of the Royals, so is disappointed to be missing the occasion - but realizes her job, and the obligation to hundreds of patients all over the county, comes first...

Whether anyone actually turns up for their appointments is a different matter...

rogersix

Jan 18, 2014

blimey! that stasi gag has been wheeled out for decades apropos of "light mocking"

do you proof read your posts?

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here