Brazil 2014- here we come
Nov 3, 2003
Anything worth having in this country has had to be fought for with protest

Rights to vote
Women equal pay/ sex discrimination act
Gay rights
Equality rights
Employment rights
Falmer for ALL (Not just ones who wanna sit)

So if we want the right to stand when watching football at this club. its gonna have to be a protest
Suppose the only question is what sort

Miami Seagull

Grandad
Jul 12, 2003
Miami Florida, USA
No need for a protest but lets at least try to get someone to sit down with the club and discuss this. The club promoted the fact that they would permit standing in some rows so there needs to be some clarification or the situation will continue to develop. At the same time, a submission to the club from fans on the desire for support of the safe standing movement would be an excellent idea and try to get the club to join with the others who have come out and said that they support a trial. It does not need to be confrontational. We do need to find someone who'll represent the growing fan support for a safe standing trial and then lets see what the club's position is.

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
I'm not in the North Stand so don't know exactly how heavy handed the stewards are being there. One thing's for sure though, if the relationship between stewards and fans in there is going to mirror that of J block at Withdean then it's going to descend into farce pretty rapidly :(

I'm still interested to hear exactly how standing in an all seater stadia poses a threat to safety :shrug: It really is amazing that grown ups can't come to some compromise over sitting to watch football and standing. Other countries seem to manage it ok.

Bob!

Coffee Buyer
Jul 5, 2003
No need for a protest but lets at least try to get someone to sit down with the club and discuss this. The club promoted the fact that they would permit standing in some rows so there needs to be some clarification or the situation will continue to develop. At the same time, a submission to the club from fans on the desire for support of the safe standing movement would be an excellent idea and try to get the club to join with the others who have come out and said that they support a trial. It does not need to be confrontational. We do need to find someone who'll represent the growing fan support for a safe standing trial and then lets see what the club's position is.

One thing that needs to be asked then is:

Will the club extend the 8 row rule into the singing sections in the new Northwest and Northeast seats, if so will they allow fans that currently hold North stand tickets to move to these 'standing areas'?

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008

Rights to vote
Gay rights
Equality rights
Employment rights

So if we want the right to stand when watching football at this club. its gonna have to be a protest

Very well said!

I sit in the family stand so no issues there, and quite happy to stand or sit at away games depending on those around me (I prefer to stand). If I was called upon to stay away for a game to make a point about the need for safe standing by presenting tv camaras with empty stadiums then I would...IF that was a nationwide protest as I wouldn't be aiming it at our club alone who are merely bound by the current law.

I'm a bit sad to hear the North Stand is going the way it appears to be as I thought the clubs approach at the season ticket presentation was a very sensible one.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
I'm still interested to hear exactly how standing in an all seater stadia poses a threat to safety :shrug:

If one person falls forward over the seat in front into the person pushing that person over the seat in front of them so so on causing a domino effect.

Did you really not see that ???

1066familyman

Radio User
Jan 15, 2008
If one person falls forward over the seat in front into the person pushing that person over the seat in front of them so so on causing a domino effect.

No I don't actually. In fact at Derby away last season when CMS scored several behind us came tumbling over their seats onto us in celebration but it didn't cause me to tumble over my seat and I'm not a particularly big bloke either. In fact come to think of it I think the same happened at St.Mary's in Gus' first game in charge too :) Even if I had been tumbled over I really can't see a big domino effect taking place, no.

Serges on terraces I completely see and I learnt pretty quickly not to lean on the bars as you can get crushed on them. Best place was to stand right in front of the bars and lean back on them instead.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea

Do you really not see that is impossible to happen in the ns, the aisle and seat widths are too wide for it to domino.

Brovion

In my defence, I was left unsupervised.
NSC Patron
Jul 6, 2003

Rights to vote
Gay rights
Equality rights
Employment rights

Absolutely spot on. Whilst one cannot really draw comparisons between the Safe Standing campaign and things like the Reform Act of 1832 or the Enfranchisement of Women it is worth remembering that nothing, NOTHING has been achieved in this country by people meekly obeying every law, rule and regulation. If it were only a tiny minority of vocal idiots who wanted to stand up so that they could more easily hurl racist abuse at the ref I too would be all in favour of the rules being vigorously applied. But it isn't, it's a majority. Every time there's a poll there is always sizeable majority in favour of safe standing (the current poll on here is nearly 90%). Leaving aside the injustices that arise because of the way the Authorities unevenly apply the current legislation the fact that so many people want to get the rules changed gives legitimacy to the protests - and shame on all those of you saying "It's the law. Don't break it!"

Dominoid

Albion fan in Devon
Jan 6, 2011
Plymouth, United Kingdom
A protest has to be meaningfully directed though. Protesting to the club is equivalent to complaining to the cashier at the bank about your interest rate. The law is not the club's decision. We can however make the club aware that there is support for us joining the safe standing campaign (filling in the corners would be the perfect opportunity to join a trial) I would suggest that those who haven't already write to their MP to promote the Safe standing campaign and vote in the poll about safe standing on this site.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Do you really not see that is impossible to happen in the ns, the aisle and seat widths are too wide for it to domino.

Dont see how they seat & aisle width are a factor, you are going to fall over the back of the seat in front, that why the "safe seats" barriers have been designed with the chest high bars on them.

Perkino

Dec 11, 2009
As a protest you should all sit down quietly and watch the football, the stewards wouldn't know what to do in response and you can declare yourselves as winners. But you'll have to remain seated to be a true winner otherwise you're just a winner for a short period of time before you then revert back to being on the loosing side of the protest.

If you'd like any help just watch the East Stand and see how we do it

Steve.S

May 11, 2012
Hastings

As the steward demonstrated very well last week. All it will take is over excitement in a match and a group of people fall forward on to say children or some old and it could be fatal. If you have standing then you need safe standing areas. We might be have a different discussion on here one day, as to how the club let it happen. It needs sensible people talking with the club to resolve the issue. Having a protest like not turning up for match will not work with 20oddthousand season tickets already paid. You would also need the support of the rest of the ground, which might not be there.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
Dont see how they seat & aisle width are a factor, you are going to fall over the back of the seat in front, that why the "safe seats" barriers have been designed with the chest high bars on them.

Because if a person from behind falls over a seat, they are far far far more likely to fall into the gap between the supporters in front and not knock them over. There is no way on earth that a person behind me in the NS would fall on me in a way to push be over the persons seat in front. Take off you club tinted specs.

Garage_Doors

Originally the Swankers
Jun 28, 2008
Brighton
Because if a person from behind falls over a seat, they are far far far more likely to fall into the gap between the supporters in front and not knock them over. There is no way on earth that a person behind me in the NS would fall on me in a way to push be over the persons seat in front. Take off you club tinted specs.

Tinted specs ??? I don't see people falling in a good way, do you?

You vision of what would happen sound a lot more horrific than mine.

Gazwag

5 millionth post poster
Mar 4, 2004
Bexhill-on-Sea
So they fall onto the ground wow big deal maybe we all need to wear cotton wool or better never leave our houses far too dangerous in this world

Drumstick

NORTHSTANDER
Jul 19, 2003
Peacehaven
Absolutely spot on. Whilst one cannot really draw comparisons between the Safe Standing campaign and things like the Reform Act of 1832 or the Enfranchisement of Women it is worth remembering that nothing, NOTHING has been achieved in this country by people meekly obeying every law, rule and regulation. If it were only a tiny minority of vocal idiots who wanted to stand up so that they could more easily hurl racist abuse at the ref I too would be all in favour of the rules being vigorously applied. But it isn't, it's a majority. Every time there's a poll there is always sizeable majority in favour of safe standing (the current poll on here is nearly 90%). Leaving aside the injustices that arise because of the way the Authorities unevenly apply the current legislation the fact that so many people want to get the rules changed gives legitimacy to the protests - and shame on all those of you saying "It's the law. Don't break it!"

I agree with you but only if it is a national thing, just doing it to make a point to our club is stupid.

Gullzone

Apr 14, 2012
This Green and Pleasant Land
Just sit down and behave. This is'nt the Goldstone or the 80's.

Whether you agree or not the current rules are to sit down.

but its ok for away supporters to stand though!!!! feckin stupid ruling and pisses me off if people want to stand in the north stand let them

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here