Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

Is it time for Gus to leave?

Gus, should he stay or should he go?

• He should stay, we can get better still with him.

Votes: 199 72.9%
  • He should go, we have gone as far as we can with him.

Votes: 74 27.1%

• Total voters

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I've not found a thread that actually states what he said yet. If he went, I fear for who we might get in as a replacement, and would it be any better. Don't forget there's loads on here who wanted Holloway not too long ago, also Di Canio and I think they're both muppets.

The transcript of Poyet's post-match press conference with written press:

Where did it go wrong?

“Probably I will analyse things a bit more, but I think we were poor technically today. Very poor. We made too many mistakes. We made them in a hurry, with the atmosphere and the occasion. The adrenalin made us play a bit quickly, trying to do everything in two minutes and not play our normal game. That allowed the opposition to have the ball sometimes even more than us, which isn't normal. We tried to address that in the second half, but we were worse. We gave away a couple of breaks, which is not us. That showed we were not correct in our positioning. We tried to change, because we were risking the game, but when you make a change and your player's first touch nearly goes in... Ash nearly changed the game and it might have been a different story. That's the margin between winning and losing. The feeling is terrible. If we'd finished two weeks ago, you go home feeling like you've won something. Now you go home feeling miserable and terrible.”

Zaha?

“Zaha was better today. They used him better than they used him in the past, or we defended worse than we did in the past. Both teams need to play a part, good and bad. He was probably the player that Manchester United saw and can become a world star. Until today, against us, he was not a £15m player. Sometimes the good players stand up on big occasions, so here we go. Zaha did.”

The chairman said in the programme that it was one of the best seasons of his life?

“No doubt, but finishing two weeks ago. Not now. Now it's not. I don't like this feeling. It will change my view completely about everything I was prepared for. I always... I don't want to get this wrong... I always said that, during the time we keep improving, I'll be at the football club. But as soon as we hit the roof? I need to know the answer to that in the morning, whether we've hit the roof or not. Then we'll see. Financial Fair Play will hit everybody next year, including us, and we will have a few problems. This team will not just turn up every year and finish in the top six. He is much better than last year. It's improving. But if we can't keep improving ...

It sounds as if you'll be seeking assurances from the chairman?

“Yes, I will. I want us to get better, and as a manager I want to get better. I go to places not just to have a job, but to make things better and do things better. Right now, I don't know (about here). I need to make sure there is. I'm not going to stay forever. It doesn't matter how many years of contract you've signed. I'm under contract, but we'll see. We'll see.”

cattlin'srockshop

Nov 15, 2007
where no-one can find me
I would be sad if Gus went, he's done a brilliant job. The play offs have shown he's still much to learn, which is obvious as he's only been a manager for three and a bit seasons. However, I'd be even sadder if Bloom felt moved to put the club in hock chasing a dream in order to appease Gus. We are surely one of those clubs that know the value of things rather than simply its price.

I hope when the dust settles, Gus can see how far we've come in a short space of time and how much potential there is here. But if his staying is dependent on spending money we cannot afford, what can you do? We've made the play-offs this season and they'll be more money to spend. The rest is up to him. He can do it with us I reckon, I hope he feels the same way once the pain of last night subsides.

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
In Gus I trust. As long as he can hand on heart say that he wants to continue the job and won't be jumping ship next season unless he's gets a ridiculous offer (top half PL club at least), then he's the man. No point ripping it up to start again... it would be a lot of progress wasted.

Albumen

Don't wait for me!
Jan 19, 2010
Brighton - In your face
Some of us knew it was time a year ago. Unfortunately, by allowing him to stay, we've just wasted another season of The Amex buzz and the big crowds.

Look-at-Me1.jpg

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove
The transcript of Poyet's post-match press conference with written press:

Where did it go wrong?

“Probably I will analyse things a bit more, but I think we were poor technically today. Very poor. We made too many mistakes. We made them in a hurry, with the atmosphere and the occasion. The adrenalin made us play a bit quickly, trying to do everything in two minutes and not play our normal game. That allowed the opposition to have the ball sometimes even more than us, which isn't normal. We tried to address that in the second half, but we were worse. We gave away a couple of breaks, which is not us. That showed we were not correct in our positioning. We tried to change, because we were risking the game, but when you make a change and your player's first touch nearly goes in... Ash nearly changed the game and it might have been a different story. That's the margin between winning and losing. The feeling is terrible. If we'd finished two weeks ago, you go home feeling like you've won something. Now you go home feeling miserable and terrible.”

Zaha?

“Zaha was better today. They used him better than they used him in the past, or we defended worse than we did in the past. Both teams need to play a part, good and bad. He was probably the player that Manchester United saw and can become a world star. Until today, against us, he was not a £15m player. Sometimes the good players stand up on big occasions, so here we go. Zaha did.”

The chairman said in the programme that it was one of the best seasons of his life?

“No doubt, but finishing two weeks ago. Not now. Now it's not. I don't like this feeling. It will change my view completely about everything I was prepared for. I always... I don't want to get this wrong... I always said that, during the time we keep improving, I'll be at the football club. But as soon as we hit the roof? I need to know the answer to that in the morning, whether we've hit the roof or not. Then we'll see. Financial Fair Play will hit everybody next year, including us, and we will have a few problems. This team will not just turn up every year and finish in the top six. He is much better than last year. It's improving. But if we can't keep improving ...

It sounds as if you'll be seeking assurances from the chairman?

“Yes, I will. I want us to get better, and as a manager I want to get better. I go to places not just to have a job, but to make things better and do things better. Right now, I don't know (about here). I need to make sure there is. I'm not going to stay forever. It doesn't matter how many years of contract you've signed. I'm under contract, but we'll see. We'll see.”

Thanks for that. What was your interpretation of his tone? Obviously, written down it can appear very self-centred... but are those comments more broadly grounded in just wishing to push the club forward?

herecomesaregular

We're in the pipe, 5 by 5
Oct 27, 2008
Still in Brighton
"I've not been in this situation but I don't like it," he said. "It's changed my view completely about everything I was prepared for, so we'll see now. For me this just means he genuinely felt we would get to the Prem and his preperations for that are now in the bin unfortunately.

For me, that reveals he was actually overconfident and under estimated Holloway and the quality of Palace's team and was already planning for something we hadn't yet achieved.

He took his eye of the ball and forgot how we got to the playoffs, which was by going for it a bit more and being more attacking.

I hope he stays and learns from this and we come back stronger. Also, rather than wailing about lack of money how about recognizing that Palace's quality has come from young players coming through not just buying cheap Spanish (quality) players, much as I rate them.

There's actually nothing wrong with what he said, you're all reading way too much into it. He's upset, so are we. He wants to know if we can strengthen for next season, so do we. His plans have been blown up in the air by that result, so have ours. Gus is a massive part of bha now, stop trying to create a him and us divide, we're on the same side. And for god's sake don't let a poor last 45 minutes of football derail everything good about the club right now. If nothing else remember how good we've felt these last 2 months and take it into the new season. Maybe there is no money and we can't keep or replace our stars. If so gus possible the dream dies here, but it won't be his fault

That's how I heard it as well driving back from the game (as watched on SKY at a friend's house). Onwards and upwards with Gus is my preference.

Puppet Master

non sequitur
Aug 14, 2012
If he goes, I can see us getting some managerial merry-go-round duffer who'll fill our squad with expensive flops.

Foolg

Apr 23, 2007
We have much more chance of success if we have stability.

But do we have stability?

Those comments last night yet again highlight Gus won't even think twice about jumping ship. Hearing that kind of stuff surely doesn't encourage players.

Sergei's Celebration

Jan 3, 2010
I've come back home.
If he goes, I can see us getting some managerial merry-go-round duffer who'll fill our squad with expensive flops.

I dont think Bloom will let that happen. i think he'll get a semi-famous European manager how thinks the same way as gus does. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if TB has his men out there at the moment.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
Thanks for that. What was your interpretation of his tone? Obviously, written down it can appear very self-centred... but are those comments more broadly grounded in just wishing to push the club forward?

Subdued, downcast, miserable. Probably over-reacting to disappointment - or that was my interpretation at the time. But then this morning I heard him say almost exactly the same thing to local radio, so it's obviously what he really thinks.

Not Andy Naylor

Dec 12, 2007
Seven Dials
I dont think Bloom will let that happen. i think he'll get a semi-famous European manager how thinks the same way as gus does. In fact i wouldn't be surprised if TB has his men out there at the moment.

Everything I know about Tony Bloom suggests he will have a plan B. And C and D. And plan A didn't work out too badly ...

trueblue

Jul 5, 2003
Hove

The day Gus leaves we'll be feeling the same as Swansea when Roberto Martinez and then Brendan Rodgers left. That hasn't worked out too badly. They're the proof that a club which chooses its methods, looks to the long term and then chooses an appropriate manager can be a great success. Stability doesn't have to mean it's always the same person in charge.

Gullflyinghigh

Apr 23, 2012
I hope he doesn't go, we've heard 'he's taken us as far as he can' a few times yet each season has been an improvement on the last, so it doesn't yet seem to be the case.

Personally, I'd be more concerned as to who would replace him. There are those who want a 'proven' manager, which could mean anything Warnock (no-one's done it more often) to...someone else.

On the other side, you get in a relative unknown and just hope it works out, which I can't see as a better alternative to Gus who we know is already a competent manager (at least).

brightonrock

Dodgy Hamstrings
Jan 1, 2008
Here we go again, criticise Gus, and his followers will tear you a new one.

You'd love North Korea, mate. They hate opinions.

You're cute. If only you were bright enough to understand the irony of what you've just said. There's a difference between blindly defending Gus and thinking TCB is a tedious, poisonous, know-nothing little spunkbubble. Two different things you see. We're all hurting and quite honestly, wankers like him wind me up more than gloating palace fans. Because people like him claim to be brighton fans, but he is never happier than when things are going badly, presumably he wasn't given enough hugs as a kid. He spreads his misery like a virus, and he's noticeable by his absence when we're winning. That's why I'll happily 'tear him a new one'. Not because his opinion is different to mine, but because he's a ****. That ok with you, 'mate'?

Brighton Gull

Apr 14, 2011
Brighton
Amazing, some of the comments here. I don't think we'd have been in the playoffs but for Gus's management - he's made the team what it is. At the start of the season, a lot of people were saying we'd be promoted but I always thought it was too soon. I'd have loved it, of course, but wouldn't have fancied our chances of survival. I hope Gus stays but if he does, he needs to look carefully at team selection (off at times) & the way they played last night. Lone striker, with no support - bet CMS recognised that; high balls forward with no-one able to reach them; midfield not at its best. It's not just the manager who's responsible though, the players were poor last night. Gus was disappointed, as we were. Wouldn't blame him for leaving but he'd go with my thanks - I've enjoyed his style in the last few years.

countryman

Jun 28, 2011
It depends on who would be replacing him. Gus is a very good manager but lacks a plan b and there are better managers out there. But to attract a better manager we would probably need a much bigger budget.

I wouldn't be so annoyed at Gus if I saw the team give it a good go at palace but to play like we did was ridiculous. We need some very good summer signings to cheer us up now.

Mental Lental

Jul 5, 2003
Shiki-shi, Saitama
and he's noticeable by his absence when we're winning.

It is this that makes him a particularly odious little troll. He spouts some of the most stupid shite ever heard by man or beast and when he's proven wrong he disappears. He just VANISHED completely when we got into the play-off spots and suddenly just because Gus had a bad day at the office he's instantly back and in full excremental gushing blabber mode.

In fact, I think I have just found his new avatar......

tumblr_md5p9anwIG1r2194f.jpg

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here