Got something to say or just want fewer pesky ads? Join us... 😊

[Albion] Is it the manager, or is it recruitment?

NooBHA

Jan 13, 2015
Its a good team with a good manager but with a bottom three striker setup. You dont sign a free transfer striker after deadline unless you fail to sign your primary targets. That is what happened and it is costly. But I believe it will be fine in the end, and with fine I mean avoiding relegation.

I agree with you that I still don't think the team will be relegated.

I even 100% agree with you that you should defend your friend to the hilt.

However what I don't like about this post is how is in some way degrades Danny Wellbeck by referencing him as a "Free Transfer" striker. That had the connotations that he is a poor striker when we all know his Free Transfer status is due to his injury record and not his abilities.. So to throw him under the bus when he saved your friend's bacon is disingenuous at the very least.

The poor game today doesn't change my thoughts on GP. He is very brave in how he plays and that is admirable at this level of football.

Playing that type of football comes with risks and you have to concede that.

I don't say you shouldn't defend your friend. You should and should continue doing so. But being willing to attack a footballer who was achieving so much in the game before his injuries I find offensive. Referencing him as a Free Transfer Footballer in the manner it was done wasn't nice.

Potter can turn this around easily with a couple of wins in a row and his style of play could easily achieve that.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Run me through what is 'hysterical' about concern that have failed to beat any of the teams below us, one home win and just five overall in 2020.

Norwich were on 11 after 14 games last season and in 19th place; Cardiff were 16th with 11 after 14 previous season; WBA 17th with 12 in 17/18. And what happened to all of those teams?

Certain fans need to wake up and smell the coffee: this is not good.

Everything about this post is hysterical.
I appreciate you don't see it.

If i were to be claiming that we were safe as houses based solely on our away form, that would equally be a ridiculous point to make.

We are poor at the moment.
Undoubtedly.

So as I said fill your boots.

BNthree

Plastic JCL
Sep 14, 2016
WeHo
Mixture of both but Potter's job is to get the best out of the players he has. Doesn't seem to be doing that this season.

WhingForPresident

NSC Patron
Feb 23, 2009
Marlborough
Much as Potter should walk/be sacked, the recruitment team did not do enough in the summer and heads should roll.

We had to bring on a lad who has been playing his football against the ****ing Toblerone factory team up top today for ****s sake.

Mackenzie

Old Brightonian
Nov 7, 2003
East Wales
Perhaps both, Potter not given the tools required to implement his style conversely Potter not playing to the strengths of the players he’s got. Maybe he needs to compromise his style to suit his team as it stands. When we’re at home it seems like we have to take the initiative, perhaps that’s what we’re struggling with, would the results be worse if we simply play the low block at home, surrender the initiative and try and hit the opposition on the break?

Pavilionaire

Jul 7, 2003
It's time to back the manager and give him a new striker in the window.

Tactically, I think he sets us up OK, team selections are generally positive but has been let down by this season by all of Maupay, Connolly, Trossard and Ali J. They've all had starts and opportunities, with a poor return to a man.

Give him a Josh King and a Daniel James on loan, plus Moder, and I think we'll thrive.

Kosh

'The' Yaztromo
It comes down to coaching, our failings in the final third are down to coaching - yes ability is clearly limited, but coaches are supposed to improve players not see them edge backwards.

If I were the head coach, I’d be utterly ashamed of our rife profligacy.

PandA

Feb 8, 2012
Everything about this post is hysterical.
I appreciate you don't see it.

If i were to be claiming that we were safe as houses based solely on our away form, that would equally be a ridiculous point to make.

We are poor at the moment.
Undoubtedly.

So as I said fill your boots.

Nothing about the post you have referenced is hysterical. It's a factual, evidence based assessment. I don't understand why you (and you are not alone in this) feel your opinion should carry more weight than others. You appear to believe it will all come good in the end. Others believe that we're heading for relegation if something doesn't drastically change. None of us knows what will actually happen so why do you feel entitled to be so condescending to others for a contrary view to yours? Ultimately, as fans we all want the same thing. We just express it in different ways. Nobody deserves to be belittled because it doesn't meet your method of expression requirements.

Uh_huh_him

Sep 28, 2011
Nothing about the post you have referenced is hysterical. It's a factual, evidence based assessment. I don't understand why you (and you are not alone in this) feel your opinion should carry more weight than others. You appear to believe it will all come good in the end. Others believe that we're heading for relegation if something doesn't drastically change. None of us knows what will actually happen so why do you feel entitled to be so condescending to others for a contrary view to yours? Ultimately, as fans we all want the same thing. We just express it in different ways. Nobody deserves to be belittled because it doesn't meet your method of expression requirements.

There is plenty of belittling going both ways.
Plenty of condescending attitudes to posters like myself coming from less optimistic posters.

I don't feel my opinion has any more weight than others.
The point I am repeatedly making is that the position we are in is not as bad as it feels.

If we go all season failing to win at home and not beating teams above us but end up staying up on 38 pts, then it will be a successful season.

It's a football forum.
No one is right or wrong.

Jim in the West

NSC Patron
Sep 13, 2003
Way out West
It's time to back the manager and give him a new striker in the window.

Tactically, I think he sets us up OK, team selections are generally positive but has been let down by this season by all of Maupay, Connolly, Trossard and Ali J. They've all had starts and opportunities, with a poor return to a man.

Give him a Josh King and a Daniel James on loan, plus Moder, and I think we'll thrive.

I'm beginning to place a lot of faith in Moder. Will he arrive in early Jan? Hopefully he can do the "Test to Release" thingy and be ready for the Man City game....

e77

May 23, 2004
Worthing
Anyone saying the buck stops with the manager is forgetting Potter is actually the Head Coach and recruitment is run by someone else now. Granted Wellbeck and Lallana are solid free signings but other than that we spent next to nothing in a division you usual have to spend £30 or so million a year to stand still.

Now this isn't to say Potter isn't blameless, certainly our inability to score from set pieces is up to the coach, but he hasn't had much help this Summer.

SeagullDubai

May 13, 2016
It’s the players, they’re not good enough to put the managers ideas into practice.
If Potter is intelligent, then he will have to adapt his ideas to match the ability of his squad

All joking aside but isn’t that what Hughton tried to do

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Presidente

The ONLY Gay in Brighton
Helpful Moderator
Jul 5, 2003
Pattknull med Haksprut
Could it be that a club with a bottom six budget is in the bottom six, so it's neither the players or the manager, but we are broadly where we should expect to be?

One Teddy Maybank

NSC Patron
Aug 4, 2006
Worthing
Could it be that a club with a bottom six budget is in the bottom six, so it's neither the players or the manager, but we are broadly where we should expect to be?

Exactly.

But then perhaps the budget should be used more wisely, rather than in Holland or Belgium, so I’m going with recruitment.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Albion and Premier League latest from Sky Sports

Link Here